It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are US Slaughterhouses Wetmarkets?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Why so many deaths/Covid-19 Cases at meat plants? Not at a bakery, or cannery etc.

I have two theories

#1 US slaughterhouses are worse than Wuhan China
#2 Covid-19 is already in the animals they are slaughtering

Or 3, the combination of both

Before I post this, let me say I am a huge meat eater.

www.peta.org...

Staff are often obligated to keep up with dangerous slaughter speeds and stomach unethical, revolting practices. Many become mentally unwell, even suicidal, and workplace safety records indicate that U.S. slaughterhouse employees are three times more likely to sustain serious injury than the average American worker. All this, and now they have to worry about becoming infected with COVID-19 as well.

edit on 4-5-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Or they are a very friendly close knit bunch and share stories, of their holidays, while changing and driving to work.

You would need to find out the previous travel and contact tracing of the individual. But need a democratic to ask for that otherwise it will get out of hand with court cases by the TDS infected.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   

People work in very close proximity to each other in meat packing facilities.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

There are a lot of other food factories that work close and haven't been as sick, here's a pic
www.toledoblade.com...< br />

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 09:59 AM
link   
One report said a group of Chinese investors or a company from China were visiting a plant in the US before things got out of control. They believe that's what happened at that plant which is highly likely. As for other plants no idea. There are large fish processing plants and didn't hear any reports about fish plants. It could be poor daily cleaning procedures.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

There are a lot of other food factories that work close and haven't been as sick, here's a pic
www.toledoblade.com...< br />

Hmm, good points by both - its worthy of investigation for sure. This is something I'm concerned about - concerned in that I don't want to run out of meat. Working on sourcing some farm-fresh animals a few of us are going to share to fill up our chest freezers.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 10:13 AM
link   

That's a tomato cannery that isn't busy until the fall.

edit on 4-5-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer but he does have Corona

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 10:15 AM
link   

That's a tomato cannery that isn't busy until the fall.

I know, I was just using it as an example. There has to be other food industries that are in close proximity to each other right now. Specialty foods, desserts, etc.. Is it only meat plants?

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 10:20 AM
link   

There has to be other food industries that are in close proximity to each other right now.

In Fort Morgan, Colorado, Leprino Foods shut down a cheese processing plant yesterday after a high number of employees tested positive for the virus.

edit on 4-5-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer but he does have Corona

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I find it odd that people are concentrating at grocery stores swamping the store’s employees with Joe public, and they are not in danger of closing?

Strange.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 10:31 AM
link   
PETA have a story to tell. No bias there, eh?

I don't know about US abattoirs, but abattoirs are closely regulated in the UK where the welfare of animals is taken seriously. On the odd occasion where abuse of animals is found there is usually a public uproar. I expect US abattoirs have similar regulations.

Chinese wet markets and the associated animal brutality that goes on is well known. The Chinese seem to have a cultural acceptance of diabolical animal cruelty, coupled with a willingness to abuse any kind of animal, either for the table or because of some arse Chinese medicine.

So no. US abattoirs are not worse than Chinese wet markets. Not even close.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 10:39 AM
link   

People need to learn the major differences between back alley Chinese wet markets and how American meat processors get the job done. The United States is a leader in humane, sanitary meat processing.

edit on 5/4/2020 by Creep Thumper because: FIXED LINK.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Creep Thumper

www.theguardian.com...

'Dirty meat': Shocking hygiene failings discovered in US pig and chicken plants

www.businessinsider.com...

The meat industry is hiding a dark secret, as workers at 'America's worst job' wade through seas of blood, guts, and grease.............

• Roughly a third of America's workers in the meat industry are foreign-born non-citizens. These undocumented immigrants tend to be less likely to report problems and abuse, as well as join unions.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 10:57 AM
link   

And there you have your own answers to your question

Roughly a third of America's workers in the meat industry are foreign-born non-citizens. These undocumented immigrants tend to be less likely to report problems and abuse, as well as join unions.

Just need to add in "THEIR own health"
they would have come to work sick and spread it.
If contract tracing worked it would trace back to Wuhan ground Zero - via a Flight by X - spreading to Y .......

The virus doesn't move you do.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   

a reply to: Creep Thumper

www.theguardian.com...

'Dirty meat': Shocking hygiene failings discovered in US pig and chicken plants

www.businessinsider.com...

The meat industry is hiding a dark secret, as workers at 'America's worst job' wade through seas of blood, guts, and grease.............

• Roughly a third of America's workers in the meat industry are foreign-born non-citizens. These undocumented immigrants tend to be less likely to report problems and abuse, as well as join unions.

I assume you are supposing the healthiness of the meatpacking industry

Really comparing a place where all sorts of reptiles, mammals, and amphibians are caged and slaughtered together in an open market VS a federally regulated corporate specialized meat processing plant? Yes the potential is there but this isn't Sinclair's The Jungle anymore. Stuff is bleached and irradiated like crazy
edit on 4-5-2020 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Why so many deaths/Covid-19 Cases at meat plants? Not at a bakery, or cannery etc.

I have two theories

www.peta.org...

"Staff are often obligated to keep up with dangerous slaughter speeds and stomach unethical, revolting practices. Many become mentally unwell, even suicidal, and workplace safety records indicate that U.S. slaughterhouse employees are three times more likely to sustain serious injury than the average American worker. All this, and now they have to worry about becoming infected with COVID-19 as well.

Extremely doubtful the animals/meat is contaminted.

Most likely cause is compromised immune systems for the above mentioned reasons...

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

VS a federally regulated corporate specialized meat processing plant?

I'm sorry but federally regulated doesn't mean much anymore.

I'd love to hear from someone that has actually worked at a plant

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Double post
edit on pmbAmerica/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoMon, 04 May 2020 13:21:44 -0500pm1America/Chicago by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I have two theories

www.peta.org...

Staff are often obligated to keep up with dangerous slaughter speeds and stomach unethical, revolting practices. Many become mentally unwell, even suicidal, and workplace safety records indicate that U.S. slaughterhouse employees are three times more likely to sustain serious injury than the average American worker. All this, and now they have to worry about becoming infected with COVID-19 as well.

I also have two theories, but let me address your assumptions first...

1. The difference between a slaughter house and a wet market are vast and you should know that! One main difference and why this scenario was used in preparation or exercises for a pandemic, is that an average person can literally touch the animal they want butchered and watch them being slaughtered. That individual or several then becomes a vector for the spread of the infection outside of the market. The animals are also kept alive with many, many other breeds and species in very close proximity to each other. Often these animals are kept in worse closed conditions than a factory farm. In a slaughter house people are working close together and thus spread the disease faster among themselves and co-workers. Also this assumption along with Bakeries not having the virus are false. Bakery closes due to Covid

2. It is not known that the virus COVID-19 is able to transfer back animals then back to humans in most case...so your presumption is false. CDC on animal and human transmission of Covid

Now my theory.

1. You supplied a PETA hit piece example yet claim to be a meat eater, I think either you are in with PETA or support them or potential are heaven forbid a vegetarian!

2. You are full of it, and are detracting from the real threat of wet markets in CHINA...

edit on pmbAmerica/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoMon, 04 May 2020 13:21:04 -0500pm1America/Chicago by abeverage because: spelling

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Never thought about it like this. I just figured the outbreak at the meat factory was due to the employees close contact, this never crossed my mind.

Good on your for bringing this up for discussion!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join