It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grazie e buona notte Dame Emma Thompson

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I missed this when it happend, so for everyone else who missed it too - we have lost one of our mega stars, leaving our nation poorer as a consequence.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Sadly, English born, Hollywood star, and Scottish lockdown resident, 'Dame' Emma Thompson has opted an Italian citizen at the end of February, realising a 'dream she cherished for years'.

Dame Emma feels European and wanted out of Britain, as she puts it a 'tiny little cloud-bolted, rainy corner of sort-of Europe, a cake-filled misery-laden grey old island'.

The puzzle I forsee for Boris, the Queen, and a no doubt embarressed Prince William is, when they have a spare 5 minutes, how can a 'not British by choice' citizen be a Dame?

Maybe Dame Emma will renounce her title without prompting. May she has. May be she hopes no one will notice, coz we are too busy eating cake - I nearly didn't!

Maybe the answer is to balance things up a tad by dishing out a few Dame hoods to the massively underpaid and over worked healthcare and service workers who made things tick over in this 'cloud bolted rainy corner of sort-of Europe'.

To be honest I don't think she ever deserved the honour, and even less so now.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Doxanoxa

You can look at this way:

Unlike many who moan and complain about the way the political winds blow in their countries and swear up one side and down the other that if they don't get their way they'll move to this country or that, she actually put her money where her mouth is and did it.

She should be congratulated for that.

Now you're shut of her and her whining about the direction the UK is going.

Take the US by contrast, we are larded down with stars who continue to lecture and scold us about being terrible people because we don't give in to their every political whim, and when the elections come, they constantly make grand pronouncements about how they will take their self-important personages to this or that country (usually Canada though) if we do not kow-tow to their every whim and vote as they tell us we should.

Then when we horrid peasants revolt, they never, ever just leave already.

Yes, you had something special in Emma Thompson -- a star of her word with some actual integrity. She meant what she said and she did it. Now she's Italy's.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I think she already came back! I could be mistaking her for another Remoaner who left though.
edit on 3-5-2020 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
a reply to: ketsuko

I think she already came back! I could be mistaking her for another Remoaner who left though.

Hard to imagine anyone would leave for Italy at a time like this. Hard to think anyone who didn't have to would voluntarily stay there right now too.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Doxanoxa
Britain is a country where a farmer can spray manure at her, simply because her "protest" is trespassing.

"Call the police! My right to occupy somebody else's property is being invaded!"

edit on 3-5-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   
She left for Venice moaning about Brexit to become a permenant resident saying it was a dream she'd had for yrears.

Once things went into lockdown down where she was due to the virus, she bolted back to lay low in Scotland.

Two faced hypocrite.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   
What about an American, being a British Baroness. That's " The Right Honorable The Lady Haden-Guest". That's Jamie Lee Curtis to you.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed
That's by marriage, not in her own right. In that respect, she's been preceded by at least one Duchess of Marlborough and a Duchess of Windsor.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   
She has a place here in New York, when you have houses all around, your only a citizen of who ever has the lowest taxes.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Now if she ran for office, she really could get in trouble for the emoluments clause!

join