It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thank God for Texas

page: 1

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on May, 3 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Thank God I moved to Texas 2 years ago. We have a Governor
with common sense. I use to live in Portland and then
later in Seattle, and both of their Governors are following
policies concerning this Covid-19 nonsense that's going
to cause irreparable economic harm.

Oregon Governor extended their lockdown to July 6.

My advice to those in the Northwest, if you can move, do it
as fast as you can and get the freak out of those States.
They wont be satisfied until you're flat broke or dead.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: MrBlaq

(Hat tip) Welcome to Texas and welcome to Texas proud

Just booked my first campsite of the season. Now they just need to open up the State Parks for overnighters and we’ll be good to go.

In all seriousness, I am grateful for our governor and ready to get things back on track. Based on the protests on the west coast I think everyone is awake and ready. You can’t keep good people down

edit on 3-5-2020 by raedar because: Typo

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Ummm...flat lander...

You caint git theya...from heya...

YouSir
edit on 3-5-2020 by YouSir because: We...just gotta have fu-un...

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   

From Portland and later Seattle, I wonder if you ended up in Austin — it’s in Texas but not of Texas — or maybe SA. Either way, Texas is a great state, and make sure you float the river (don’t remember the name) outside New Braunfels this summer. Super easy to ‘social distance’ beer-in-hand and congregate among your peoples.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 11:31 AM
link   
A tribute to Texas:

youtu.be...

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...flat lander...

You caint git theya...from heya...

YouSir

Lol, one of the reasons Texas isn't high on my list of places to move back to. I'm born and raised half my childhood there, have nothing but love in my heart for the place, and more specifically the people.

But being a in the mountains of Virginia has changed my outlook on what I want for me as far as what I want in my environment. I feel spoiled now, this place is almost heaven.

More to topic, our governor is a boob. Not just because of this issue, but many others. I do miss living in Texas and not having state politics that were more influenced by the countries capital than the states.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Born and raised on those windblown plains outside Lubbock. I still own the 180acre family farm that's been in my family for over 100 years but I could never live there. I could live on the Gulf Coast maybe, but that's it. I've been living in the land of Enchantment now for many years and it's paradise as far as I'm concerned. Easy livin....

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrBlaq
Thank God I moved to Texas 2 years ago. We have a Governor
with common sense. I use to live in Portland and then
later in Seattle, and both of their Governors are following
policies concerning this Covid-19 nonsense that's going
to cause irreparable economic harm.

Oregon Governor extended their lockdown to July 6.

My advice to those in the Northwest, if you can move, do it
as fast as you can and get the freak out of those States.
They wont be satisfied until you're flat broke or dead.

I've always like Portland and Seattle (I guess I am a hipster at heart) but I have conservative viewpoints. I'd love to retire to the pacific northwest, but the libs there seem determined to turn the area into a sh*thole.

I think I am going to retire to eastern TN, GA, or Western North Carolina in the mountains.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I still haven't visited the Gulf there. When I tell some people, they'll ask how I lived in a state and didn't visit a place many say is one of the prettiest in the country.... Well, you could be a day's drive from other parts in that state haha.

I always love going back to visit almost any part of that state though. It's been a couple years this time around, I'll have to do it once all this clears up.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cravens

make sure you float the river (don’t remember the name) outside New Braunfels this summer. Super easy to ‘social distance’ beer-in-hand and congregate among your peoples.

Guadalupe and the Comal. Comal is the little winding one that’s on River Rd with all the little bars and tube places.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   
My stomping grounds when the road was just dirt beside the Guadaloupe.....SWTSU in San Marcos in the hippy days

Now, the Comal is cold......in the summer........for more family fun on campus.....the San Marcos river....storybook for family... Steve Mqueen and Ali McGraw filmed the get away there.....

a reply to: TexasTruth

edit on 3-5-2020 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

Oh the huge water park in New Braunfels is SCHLITTERBAHNN....not that I guess not exactly....Schlitterbahn
yep, here in Texas we all the time be sayin Schlitterbahnn....no schlitt

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Ummm...I know what you mean brother...I was raised in the green mountain state...nothing but mountain...

Hence my New Englandah...attempt at a mangled accent...

YouSir

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Visited that state for the first time back in October. It was absolutely stunning. I got in about a week or two after peak fall and the decent in we broke a ceiling of clouds where a break in the cover allowed the sun to make it look like the place was on fire.

I felt at home there.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

That’s the ticket. I remember first time I went, laying back in my tube and saw a bunch of grocery bags 20-25 ft up in the trees on the bank and asked if it was some sort x-marks-the-spot signal for whatever. Nope, just the debris from the torrential rains earlier in May. Hard to imagine 9 weeks before that river was 20 ft above and over the bank.

Much appreciate reminder of the river name.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TexasTruth

Guadalupe and the Comal. Comal is the little winding one that’s on River Rd with all the little bars and tube places.

This statement is completely wrong.

The Comal, which is officially the shortest river in the world, runs through Prince Solms park in New Braunfels and ties into the Guadalupe river several mile downstream from River Rd.

The Guadalupe river runs from the hill country to feed Canyon lake then all the way to the gulf. River road travels along side the Guadalupe from below the dam to slightly above New Braunfels. That's the part with all the cliffs, outfitters, bars, and restaurants, and stuff.

(From a Guadalupe county native who's floated alongside River rd since the 70's.)

For reference: Guadalupe county is the next county down river from Comal county where River rd runs.
edit on 3-5-2020 by quercusrex because: geographical reference and stuff

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I'd say to anyone looking for a place to move to check out Tennessee, but it's out of control with people coming here and they're bringing their BS politics with them.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Cravens

From Portland and later Seattle, I wonder if you ended up in Austin —
it’s in Texas but not of Texas — or maybe SA. Either way, Texas is a great state,
and make sure you float the river (don’t remember the name) outside New
Braunfels this summer. Super easy to ‘social distance’ beer-in-hand and
congregate among your peoples.

We moved to Killeen since I'm familiar with the area. The city of Austin
is much too liberal for my blood pressure. We were surprised the traffic
in Austin is just as bad as Seattle. I'm originally from Philly. I've lived in
several large metropolitan areas. Houston back in the 80's, Phoenix,
Portland and Seattle. We're in our late 50's, and decided we'll never
live in a large metropolis again. Actually Killeen is almost too big.
We're already planning to move to a smaller city in Texas.

Appreciate all the responses from everyone.

Home is where the heart is

top topics

join