It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN FAKE News? 'Murder hornets' spotted in the US for the first time, scientists say!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Lots of incorrect info in this thread but hey, CT's never let facts get in the way of reality......

Sting The stinger of the Asian giant hornet is about 6 mm (0.24 in) long,[7] and injects an especially potent venom that contains, like many bee and wasp venoms, a cytolytic peptide (specifically, a mastoparan) that can damage tissue by stimulating phospholipase action,[16] in addition to its own phospholipase.[16] Masato Ono, an entomologist at Tamagawa University near Tokyo, described the sensation as feeling "like a hot nail being driven into my leg".[7] The venom contains a neurotoxin called mandaratoxin,[16] a single-chain polypeptide with a molecular weight around 20 kD.[16] Whilst a single wasp cannot inject a lethal dose, it can be lethal even to people who are not allergic if the dose is sufficient (i.e., if multiple stings are received). However, if the victim is allergic to the venom, this greatly increases the risk of death. Each year in Japan, the human death toll caused by Asian giant hornet stings is around 30 to 40.[16][17] Advice in China is that people stung more than 10 times need medical help, and need emergency treatment for more than 30 stings. The stings can cause kidney failure.[18] In 2013, stings by Asian giant hornets killed 41 people and injured more than 1,600 people in Shaanxi, China.[19]

As with all bees and wasps except worker honey bees, yellowjackets can sting repeatedly. Not only is the sting painful, but it can be life threatening. Sensitive individuals can enter anaphylactic shock and die from a single sting. Annually, 40 to 50 people die in the United States from yellowjacket stings.Sep 29, 2004

So 30 - 40 deaths per year among 120.5 million people in Japan? More people die from Yellow Jackets stings in the USA annually. CNN should be banging on the drum.

I and several others have shared our experiences as fact. Not an opinion.I stand by all as written. I have been as close as two feet from them as never attacked nor buzzed me. They just enjoyed eating my fruits as I doused them with wasp and hornet spray.

edit on 3-5-2020 by Waterglass because: added

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

NYT covered the story a few days ago, very convincingly IMO.

The CNN story is probably from there.

I've seen those hornets on Nat Geo or something like that years ago. They are real. I suspect they are here.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass
a reply to: opethPA

Lots of incorrect info in this thread but hey, CT's never let facts get in the way of reality......

Sting The stinger of the Asian giant hornet is about 6 mm (0.24 in) long,[7] and injects an especially potent venom that contains, like many bee and wasp venoms, a cytolytic peptide (specifically, a mastoparan) that can damage tissue by stimulating phospholipase action,[16] in addition to its own phospholipase.[16] Masato Ono, an entomologist at Tamagawa University near Tokyo, described the sensation as feeling "like a hot nail being driven into my leg".[7] The venom contains a neurotoxin called mandaratoxin,[16] a single-chain polypeptide with a molecular weight around 20 kD.[16] Whilst a single wasp cannot inject a lethal dose, it can be lethal even to people who are not allergic if the dose is sufficient (i.e., if multiple stings are received). However, if the victim is allergic to the venom, this greatly increases the risk of death. Each year in Japan, the human death toll caused by Asian giant hornet stings is around 30 to 40.[16][17] Advice in China is that people stung more than 10 times need medical help, and need emergency treatment for more than 30 stings. The stings can cause kidney failure.[18] In 2013, stings by Asian giant hornets killed 41 people and injured more than 1,600 people in Shaanxi, China.[19]

As with all bees and wasps except worker honey bees, yellowjackets can sting repeatedly. Not only is the sting painful, but it can be life threatening. Sensitive individuals can enter anaphylactic shock and die from a single sting. Annually, 40 to 50 people die in the United States from yellowjacket stings.Sep 29, 2004

So 30 - 40 deaths per year among 120.5 million people in Japan? More people die from Yellow Jackets stings in the USA annually. CNN should be banging on the drum.

I and several others have shared our experiences as fact. Not an opinion.I stand by all as written. I have been as close as two feet from them as never attacked nor buzzed me. They just enjoyed eating my fruits as I doused them with wasp and hornet spray.

Again... as a beekeeper I would have heard if these had been seen and destroyed hives. I've never heard a single case. I honestly believe what you've seen is a Cicada Killer wasp. They look very similar and are basically benign to humans.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

I honestly believe what you've seen is a Cicada Killer wasp. They look very similar and are basically benign to humans.

No, I saw the Asian Giant Hornet. It had much orange color to it. Just like the CNN picture. I have one stored in a plastic bag somewhere. Its the same one that I sent a picture of to the Cornell Extension. I also have seen the other ones as you described. They don't have that pronounced orange color.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Asian hornets don't have nothing on our Southern Redneck Yellow Jackets. These little buggers are aggressive and the sizes of the nests insane. Just nuke it from orbit!

Imagine if someone accidentally stumbled into this shed...

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   

So basically standard CT approach:

1. Reality, facts, science, proof don't matter compared to your perception of something.
2. You seem stuck on this being a CNN thing so here, I made it easier for you..

duckduckgo.com...

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Asian hornets don't have nothing on our Southern Redneck Yellow Jackets. These little buggers are aggressive and the sizes of the nests insane. Just nuke it from orbit!

Schmidt Pain Index puts Yellow Jackets of any breed typically in level 2 out of a possible 4.

Coyote Peterson does a great job going over the sting pains of each type of stinging insect by actually getting stung by many things on the list.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
My girlfriend showed me an article she got from face book. It too said that these Asian "murder hornets" (China anyone?) where new to the States, but I remember that happening some ten years ago when they were found in one of the more central eastern states like New Jersey. Huge but generally harmless.

The largest naturally occurring wasp we have in Michigan is the Cicada killer wasp, very close to the same size and they are mostly non-aggressive and harmless.

Waterglass - The idea that it eats fruit like apples and pears they way you describe sounds like it would be a problem up here in Michigan's orchard country. So it not only kills domestic bees but it can strip the fruit off a fruit tree, very bad for our orchards and honey production.

I have seen those wasps around here occasionally. They haven't been around the area of our house though, but I see them occasionally when picking blueberries about ten miles from our house.

Those big black jointed hornets that are around here are scarey looking and their bite is like hell, but they are dosile like an elephant as long as you don't piss them off. We have those by our house and I do not mind. They actually polinated my tomatoes and apple trees along with the ants one year when there wasn't a bee to be seen around here. After that, I quit trying to kill insects, I became their friend and only kill them when I definitely have to.
edit on 3-5-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

Schmidt Pain Index puts Yellow Jackets of any breed typically in level 2 out of a possible 4.

Coyote Peterson does a great job going over the sting pains of each type of stinging insect by actually getting stung by many things on the list.

en.wikipedia.org...

Yeah, I know an individual yellow jacket sting isn't too bad but when you disturb a nest 10 foot tall you got more than one to deal with... they are highly aggressive. I am talking the southern yellow jacket variant that builds these monster nests not the eastern yellow jacket which aren't quite as aggressive.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

The one thing I question about the schmidt index is the bullet ant is listed as the highest. It could be true.

However, there is some tribe where teens stick their hands in a mitten with several bullet ants and allow themselves to be stung repeatedly for like 15 minutes as a right of passage to manhood. I guess I'd just have to stay a soy boy in that tribe cause ain't no way I'd do that...

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Yeah, I know an individual yellow jacket sting isn't too bad but when you disturb a nest 10 foot tall you got more than one to deal with... they are highly aggressive. I am talking the southern yellow jacket variant that builds these monster nests not the eastern yellow jacket which aren't quite as aggressive.

No doubt getting stung by lots of anything is going to suck in every way..

The Executioner Wasp is generally considered to be the king of sting..

edit on 3-5-2020 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   
It's been a few years ago I had yellow jackets inside the roof of me flat.
An exterminator came out & placed some kind of poison block in there.
guess it worked however they came back months later I would find 100s
of them in a pile next to the sliding glass door inside the flat.
I didn't know how they got inside. Well another day when I returned they
had eaten a hole through the ceiling right above the bed.

I waited until it was dark & took a clear plastic lid from a microwave bowl
& taped it over the hole. I bloody hate these guys, stung a few times in
the past. All the research I read said never ever smash a wasp (yellow jacket)
because it releases a hormone or pheromone which signals the rest to come
& attack.

It took forever to find this info...they like sweet things for a few months then they
switch to protein. So I took a wire dog crate set in on a table away from the flat.
Then I melted a Popsicle on a small plate & checked it frequently with binoculars
even though it was only 20 ft away. No such luck so next I tried the smelliest canned
cat food & that was the winner. Then applied a few drops of Frontline Plus flea & tick
prevention & mixed it with the cat food. It has no odor & the yellow jackets will consume
the food & also carry it back to the nest & kill the hive.

I used the dog crate with the door closed up on the table so no animal could get to it.
once they stopped feeding I was good to go, no more yellow jackets.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Oddly enough, I have been thinking of nicknaming Remington .223 as Murder Hornets. As in give me two boxes of them Murder Hornets.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

I actually have a tin of .22 called "Hornets".

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 03:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass
a reply to: GBP/JPY

As a kid we were in our woods behind the house on summer vacation and were playing on top of a dead tree. The ground bees got out and began stinging us. We ran back to our house and that was over 130 yards they were stinging us all the way right up to the house. My mother heard us screaming came out and began to hit the bees off us with a rug and water from the garden hose. Every kid was stung over 10 times. All [5] of us.

As kids my friends I had a similar experience except the nest we disturbed was in a rotting rowboat.We were all stung numerous times.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Yes the 22 Hornet which is slightly different than the 22 magnum.

But if you said a box of Murder Hornets in a gun store...I’m betting on .223 would be their guess.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Seems like they are trying to keep inventing reasons for people to stay locked up in their homes. It's absurd.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Seems like they are trying to keep inventing reasons for people to stay locked up in their homes. It's absurd.

Oh yah, which part are "they" making up?

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   
They have been In S. Carolina for years and they will kill Honey Bees but they don't stand a chance in a Honey bee Hive, they would be overwhelmed.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   

A guy I work with swatted one down and stomped it several times (his telling) and put it in a jar, it was still alive (I witnessed that part). That was last Summer, it looked exactly like the big Asian hornet, and it was found in NW Louisiana. I wish I would have taken a picture of it because it was so big. It looked like a mad SOB too.

Like you said, these things have been here. I don't know why CNN does any of the things they do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join