It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN FAKE News? 'Murder hornets' spotted in the US for the first time, scientists say!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

I think you got that backwards. You want bees and also wasps if you have no bees around on your apple plantage. They are important pollinators.

The wasps wont eat fresh fruits as long as there are fermenting ones on the floor. Just dont pick up every rotting apple and leave some for nature and you are good.

Are you sure you did not have different problems like frozen flowers?

Add: When I last visited, the air was humming and I had a few deer jump up.

edit on 3-5-2020 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 09:03 AM
link   
youtu.be... maybe thisll work,I'm not good at posting links.

edit on Sun May 3 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to embed vid

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Why anybody gives cnn, fox, or msnbc views is beyond me.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Pilgrum

Yellowjackets, yes, correct.

Those giant hornets would be far from the sort of climate they evolved in (equatorial Asia) and the long extreme winters of Northern USA/Canada probably wipe out most of the colonies every year.

It gets cold in Asia also. Your aware of the Niagara Escarpment that extends from Canada to Rochester, New York? Its north of Buffalo, New York. Its the "fruit" belt as the winters are mild, thus they would not be wiped out!

Niagara Escarpment

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

The wasps wont eat fresh fruits as long as there are fermenting ones on the floor. Just dont pick up every rotting apple and leave some for nature and you are good.

That s not what I experienced. Those Asian buggers wanted the fresh one first. The ground bees went after the fermenting apples on the ground. Plus they would get drunk and buzz us so if we sat by the pool, we had a racquetball racket and smack them into the pool so they drown.
edit on 3-5-2020 by Waterglass because: edit

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 09:16 AM
link   
We only have the Europeans, no idea about the Asians behaving.

Our wasps seem to get the ones on the floor first.

I once threw a rotten apple at someone... just answered the friendly gesture of throwing one at me... and I did not even aim for the face but the one was bending down. It had a wasp inside that stung him at the eye socket badly.

Ouchy.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Why anybody gives cnn, fox, or msnbc views is beyond me.

Actually, I run three browsers, one is Microsoft's. The homepage is set to open MSN.COM . That's where I picked up the story. I actually don't go to cnn, fox, or msnbc as I want to see the daily propaganda on MSN.COM. They also love to hate anything Trump. Now do you understand?

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Wasn't aware of such a temperate zone up there so that explains a lot in regard to these invasive species. We get the 'yellowjackets' here in Oz and the winters are far more mild than their native areas so the colonies tend to survive the winters growing to huge sizes.

In Northern Europe the colonies get frozen out and eliminated virtually every year so their survival trick is for new queens to be produced in Autumn which then fly off to hibernate in wood piles, tree trunks, etc. In spring they wake up and fly off to re-establish new colonies. Firewood needs to be carefully checked prior to bringing it inside or we end up with them buzzing round inside the house.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I know a little bit about Hornets too.

Double wielding two cans of raid aimed at their hive entrance/exit hole works pretty good for some hornet genocide.

ETA:

A tennis racket works good for wood bees too.

edit on 3-5-2020 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 09:50 AM
link   
.22 practices targets.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 09:50 AM
link   
We've had these bad boys here in Kentucky since the early 90's.
Probably were here much earlier than that.
CNN is the most BS fake news crap in the US.
Also a tennis racket works wonders LOLa reply to: Waterglass

edit on 3-5-2020 by bluesman462002 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I think you might be confusing the European hornet with the giant Asian hornets.

European hornets are big as hell, and I've also seen them for years, but I've never seen one as big as that giant Asian hornet.

From 2018: No Asian Hornets in the U.S.

When you read or hear about "Asian hornets," you need to keep two things in mind. First, the "Asian" moniker has been commonly applied to at least three hornet species native to various Asian regions. These include the Yellow-Legged Hornet, which is sometimes called the Yellow-Legged Asian Hornet (Vespa velutina); the Asian Giant Hornet (V. mandarinia) which is the world's largest hornet; and the Japanese Hornet which is a subspecies (V. mandarinia japonica).

The two insects most commonly mistaken for Asian hornets are European hornets (V. crabro) and our native cicada killer wasps (Sphecius speciosus).

But all you want to do is bash CNN, rely on anecdotes to do so, any reject scientists.

What's that ATS motto, again?

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Asian hornets are my personal nightmare. I am highly allergic to wasps. I have PTSD from almost dying as a kid when I was stung by a hornet. I had to take anti-venom shots for two years to help me build up resistance.

If you ever want to see a large black man turn into a little b*tch get a yellow jacket near me. I jump around like a little girl. One sting can send me to the ER. Last time I got stung, a yellow jacket got into my shirt while riding my motorcycle and stung me three times on the neck. Had to go to the ER

Coyote Petersen is big youtube animal guy. He got fame by allowing himself to get stung by pretty much every insect on the Schmidt Index which ranks sting pain. The Asian Hornet was the last one he did. He said the Asian Hornet and the Executioner Wasp were the worst dethroning the legendary Bullet Ant as worst insect sting.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Got ya. I understand using msn. I just don't understand taking it seriously. Like you said, it focuses on hating trump, or in fox's eyes, loving trump.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I remember seeing a documentry about these giant wasps there was a guy in china (hmmm might have been japan) who would go in and kill them as much as he could but the nest pop up faster than he could get rid of them of course...and they were on the east coast there were several people who were killed by them as I recall.

edit on 3-5-2020 by research100 because: spelling and added sentence

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 10:14 AM
link   
And all this time I mistook your avatar for a camel, you old goat you

Remember Belushi's (Eli Wallach impression) doing the "Killer Bees" skit. That was awesome.

ganjoa

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Lots of incorrect info in this thread but hey, CT's never let facts get in the way of reality......

Hornets are not bees. This is claimed or referred to multiple times incorrectly in this thread. They are part of the genus Vespa while bees are part of the genus Apis.

As Liquiesence states above the most logical explanation is identification of the European or some other similar hornet.

You say you have a pic and proof based on this statement, "took several years and sent a picture of one to the Cornell University Cooperative Extension in Erie County. They came back and told me that they were Asian Giant Hornets. " No problem , that should be easy for you to provide because unless you do all the claims lf what people think they saw years ago is no more valid then me saying I saw Hobbits in my back yard years ago. Lets assume for a minute what you are saying here is actually accurate , 1 body is not the same as invasive and that is a key scientific difference.

A simple Google search shows that this this isnt just a CNN story but rather almost every major and minor news source is carrying. I'm trying to find out if it is' an AP source which would explain why so many places are covering it.

Abnarty says , "They just can't stop trying to scare people. No matter what mundane occurrence, it's got to be out to getcha'."

The Murder Hornet designation is not a media creation, "Jun-ichi Takahashi, a researcher at Kyoto Sangyo University in Japan, said the species had earned the “murder hornet” nickname there because its aggressive group attacks can expose victims to doses of toxic venom equivalent to that of a venomous snake; a series of stings can be fatal."

The scientifically confirmed tracking of these wasps is in Autumn 2019 they first appeared in Vancouver, in Dec 2019 a few dead bodies were found inside the US board, in April 2020 more and more have been reported in similar areas of the US. Some links talking about this:

www.cnn.com...
www.nytimes.com...

Th OP claims they dont attack people..You know except for the people actually killed by them around the world ,

"Each year in Japan, the human death toll caused by Asian giant hornet stings is around 30 to 40"

Advice in China is that people stung more than 10 times need medical help, and need emergency treatment for more than 30 stings. The stings can cause kidney failure.[17] In 2013, stings by Asian giant hornets killed 41 people and injured more than 1,600 people in Shaanxi, China."

All of the above can be validated using search engines that are "Woke Mind" approved but just to make it a bit easier he is some actual factual information : en.wikipedia.org...

Finally here is a clip from Coyote Peterson on Brave Wilderness showing what it's like to get stung by one:

edit on 3-5-2020 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ganjoa

Ahh Camels smell bad and they spit. Goats rule the barnyard!

Remember Belushi's

That was hilarious. Guy went out way too young

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 10:51 AM
link   
My brother-in-law lost 3 hives (bee farmer) to Asian Hornets year before last. He had a video much like the one posted above. He added the audio of " let the bodies in the floor" as these things just slaughtered every honey bee there.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 10:56 AM
link   
To the OP: Are you entirely certain that what you saw isn't a 'Cicada Killer' wasp? They look very much like the Asian Wasp but have virtually no sting and are not at all aggressive. They are common and are huge -- 1-1/2 to 2".

Up till this season I have kept honey bees for years. Beekeepers worldwide keep in close communication because of all the threats to our hives. Most of us participate in an annual Bee Informed Partnership where we complete a questionnaire on the health/losses of our hives and report any infestations. Never once has anyone reported a predatory wasp that wiped-out their hive. I think you are mistaken unless you have shown your photos to an entomologist.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join