It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was Jesus's Last Name? I Don't Think it was Christ.....or was it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 12:04 AM
link   
It is my understanding that the Nazorites , Nazorenes may be the same
group just different names, possibly different areas. That they may have been
an offshoot of the Essenes, and that members made vows for specific periods
of time (7yrs comes to mind). There was also something about not cutting the hair during that period ( Samson).

Yes I agree the Zelotes were made up of people from varying sects and groups.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by CyberKat
I know that some of you probably know by now that I'm not a religious person, but, this site has got me wondering about things that I read here. I don't honestly know if there was a guy named Jesus who was born to a virgin some 2000 years ago.

But, that there was a guy named Jesus. I can accept. The virgin mother? I don't know about that. And isn't Bethlaham in Israel? I could be wrong on this, but do they have many spaniards/mexicans living there, or did they? Cause again, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "Jesus" a Spanish name?

One would think that he would have the last name of "Joseph"? What name would that have been? Or, I think the story goes that this virgin (Joseph's wife?), then she might not have been a virgin and not known what causes a person to become .........devirginized(?) but I think as the story goes, she was a virgin and "God" put the baby in her. So, would that make Jesus not Josephs son, but God's son? Yes, I think that's how the story goes.

Then he would have had to have God's last name, wouldn't he? What is God's last name? He probably doesn't have one. Well then, did Joseph have any part in the life of Jesus? What happened to him after he built the manger?

Did the people who wrote the Bible forget about all that mundane stuff? Or have I just not heard about is because I've never read the Bible, and those who have, just never found it interesting enough to talk about?

Confusing stuff!!!!!

The historical Jesus was none other than Gaius Julius Caesar. 'Caesar' being his cognomen we have 'Gaius' as first and 'Julius' as last (family) name of Jesus.
For proof read this book.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Um, this has a pretty simple answer:

They didn't have "last names" per say back then, they called them of where they came from, so, for Jesus, it would be:

Jesus of Nazareth.

Later on to be known as Jesus Christ, (because he was the Messiah).

-wD

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
From what I remember, wasn't Jesus called "Isa" in the Islamic texts?

I'll check my Qu'ran, but I'm almost sure of it. The Islamic texts are a lot less edited then modern Christian texts...

[edit on 29-3-2005 by Odium]

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Nah...

We all know it's "Jesus H. Christ"...

Seriously though, Jesus and Christ are titles, OTS pretty much said it with his designation of son of Joseph, etc. In fact, such titling is still very common in the Middle Eastern area... Surnames were more of a European thing and came later anyhow... Heck, even during the Renaissance...look at Leonardo da (of) Vinci...

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
From the inscription Pontius Pilate had written it would be rough translating, my Latin is rusty. INRI - (substitute J's for I's)

Jesu Nazoreus, Rex Juedeus - Jesus of Nazorath, King of the Jews

Interestingly, I had a professor once tell me that the Greek word commonly translated to mean virgin also meant a young woman.

Just some food for thought.

[edit on 29-3-2005 by Marid Audran]

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
different thread, probably, but you are correct. "Virgin" in those days did not mean the same thing as it does today - it was not the "clinical virgin" we think of - usually, it meant "unmarried" which could be the same as "young woman" which could also indicate a woman who had not yet had sex but not necessarily since having sex before marriage (and sometimes as much as a year afterwards) was a kind of social "no-no"....this all gets very complicated and confusing because most of the social norms were taken from the interpretations of the religious doctrines of the time and different communities with different religious leaders had different interpretations (not huge differences but slight differences were not unusual).

So, Mary's virginity (in a modern clinical sense) is subject to speculation but, like I said, this is becoming a hi-jack on my part so, I'll stop.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I came to ask this question:

What does his middle initial "H" stand for in Jesus H. Christ?

I read all the posts.

I know Gazrok has the answer.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I always heard it was " jumped up" Jesus Jumped up Christ

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Hmmm.....because Joseph took him as his first child....his last name would be well described as "bar Joseph" or son of Joseph.... And that would be fairly accurate, since there were all sorts of prescedents in that culture to taking on someone else's child as your own, to the point of being called that person's child, depending on which text you look at. Christ was a description: Jesus the Christ ~=~Jesus the Messiah. Christ became a last name, since several people had a similar/same name to Jesus, and the europeans were already used to having last names...most gotten by a description of the family or where they lived, what they did, etc. ...

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
I came to ask this question:

What does his middle initial "H" stand for in Jesus H. Christ?

I read all the posts.

I know Gazrok has the answer.

Hominum.

www.christianorigins.com...

;-)

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Yep...basically the latin for "Man"
as in Savior of Man...

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Confusing stuff!!!!!

Interesting too.
And yet... not a conspiracy.

(moving to Faith, Spirituality & Thelogical Debate)

Will be writing a forum sticky on how to write/reseach actual Conspiracy subjects soon. Religion is full of them. Please find them. This could even be one. But as thoughtful musings and lazy ponderings, it is not.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
I suppose, given the culture of the time, Jesus would have been reffered to as "Yeshuah ben (or bin) Yusuf" or, by His disciples, "Rabboni" ("teacher").

I'm starting to become a big fan of your work Off_The_Street

Just to add, he was referred to in different ways. There were many more names as well including Immanuel, the lamb, saviour, messiah, etc. I'm sure the Pharisee priests had their own names for him at the time too but probably best not to go there

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
his name was Yashua ... Jesus is the western version... coming from Greek...that means "Son of Zeus"...because to the Greeks Zeus was the higher God.

the virgin borth may be a metaphore for purity...or if you want it could have been artificial insimination if God was an alien entity...

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Confusing stuff!!!!!

Interesting too.
And yet... not a conspiracy.

(moving to Faith, Spirituality & Thelogical Debate)

Will be writing a forum sticky on how to write/reseach actual Conspiracy subjects soon. Religion is full of them. Please find them. This could even be one. But as thoughtful musings and lazy ponderings, it is not.

yes it it confusing CyberKat;

it is meant to be that way, the OrganizedReligions took a long time
and a lot of thinking by 10 of thousands of monks & theologians to
even get the present list of acceptable 'names & titles' of the 'good shepherd'..son-of-David, son-of-man, 'Righteous One',

its more of the meme (found in O.T. scriptures) that states the (monotheistic God) Eternal One, has many names!

As many contentions as you might think up-->
there will always be a 'excape', or 'rationalization' or serpentine 'logic'
that seemingly addresses your or any point which challenged or questioned religious doctrine, thought...
including the various cans-of-worms your topic may bring up

be careful of being engulfed or overwhelmed or mesmerized with the
'spells' that an all-consuming, envelopment in religion can lead to...

Aum, Peace

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
personaly i don't think it realy matters as long as we know in ourselves who we are talking about.

it is an interesting question though. as it has been discused even "jesus" is a translation or tiltle ect. but it is true surnames are realitivly new as we know them.mc or mac means son of (and yes there is a female version as well) just sticking to the common modern useage as a first name he would be known as all differant names. jesus son of joseph, jesus of (where he lived at the time also any past location could be used), jesus the rabbi, ect. there is even the possiblities on differant names for differant relationships as in russian traditional name useage. i do not know if the hebrews used something like this.

the reason that names are so "solid" today is simply for records and legal reasons. besides being just so much simpler to remember.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
My daughter (at the time she was about 7 or 8 I think) asked our priest this at church one time. Being 7 (or 8) she didn't want to hear that Jesus didn't have a last name. So, our priest said Jesus' "full name" was Jesus Christ the Savior. (Christ being his middle name. I can't remember if he told her "the" was a second middle name or not...and I don't want to ask her either. lol)

So, that's what my daughter thinks and that's fine for her. She was satisfied with that answer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join