It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Authorizes Pentagon to Ready Reserves for Cartel Fight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Last night when I learned about this story I thought about some of the implications. Many, if not most of the chemicals used in the manufacture process of illicit drugs like methamphetamine & fentanyl come from China. From what I understand, the drug cartels have been using the confusion caused by the pandemic to further their enterprises in the Caribbean and may be running into supply issues. Trump doesn't like to talk about his plans before the game starts, but I suspect something BIG is in the works.

SOURCE ARTICLE

President Trump on Thursday announced he has issued an executive order authorizing the Department of Defense to activate select reserves of the armed forces as part of a counternarcotics operation.

Trump sent a letter to Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) alerting her that he has instructed Defense Secretary Mark Esper to provide up to 200 additional personnel for the operation.

“Effective today, pursuant to section 12304 of title 10, United States Code, I am authorizing the Secretary of Defense to order units and individual members of the Selected Reserve to active duty to augment active component forces for the effective conduct of ‘Enhanced Department of Defense Counternarcotic Operation in the Western Hemisphere,’” he wrote.

ETA: If it is harder to manufacture and import drugs into the US, this will cause a number of things to happen. I suspect that enterprising criminals from within the US will do everything they can to fill the void and more drug labs will pop up within US borders. Shortages of drugs will drive the street price up and addicts will turn to committing even MORE CRIMES to appease their habits. What else do you think the future holds in this arena?
edit on 522020 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

The war on drugs has never worked, and only cost insane amounts of money. But why increased measure now of all times? Why are we putting attention away from a literal make or break moment for the world? At this point I don't even think it's a distraction as this will be buried in the headlines like days ago.

I'm all for trying to curb needless addiction which ends up wrecking peoples lives. Maybe we admit the drug war doesn't do anything except cost the tax payers money and try to help those effected if we are going to virtue signal we care about them. We don't even have to spend much at first given the times, just start by trying to remove the stigma of someone needing help instead of sending them to prison on our dime while all but insuring their employment future isn't gone.

We have a system that effectively creates burdens out of addicts, while spending money on an ongoing war that has gained no ground.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 10:38 AM
link   

ETA: If it is harder to manufacture and import drugs into the US, this will cause a number of things to happen. I suspect that enterprising criminals from within the US will do everything they can to fill the void and more drug labs will pop up within US borders.

Nope.

It’ll just mean the cartels will send more shipments to offset the ones confiscated and the drugs will get more expensive on this end leading to more crime and violence here in America. And make themselves and the criminals on this side of the border even richer.

Because that’s what’s happened for around a century.

Maybe one day we can have a President who isn’t stuck in Nancy Reagan 1980’s drug war idiocy.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 10:38 AM
link   
from the sources I have read... the Cartels will get word to the MS13 gangs and the USAs internal IslamicState compounds in all 50 States to harass & operate campaigns to eliminate Sheriffs & Police depts. along with opportune low political figures & judges...

so the activated Reserves will not be confronting troops per se... but platoon sized commando units... who strike at opportune times then flee into the population

so, Trump & Pentagon will be protecting the high profile, high visibility politicians (who are invaribily 'Swamp Creatures' upper level Democrat Senators and Representatives and a lot of 'hold over' military & LEO puppets that Obama put-in-place

trumps in a lose-lose, tight place

ETA

all the above is Pre-China troop invasion of the western USA... Mexico & Cartels' proxy armies are softening up the USA prior to UN justified China Troops entering USA west to---Keep the Peace ---
edit on nd31158843421102432020 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

from the sources I have read... the Cartels will get word to the MS13 gangs and the USAs internal IslamicState compounds in all 50 States to harass & operate campaigns to eliminate Sheriffs & Police depts. along with opportune low political figures & judges...

Why on earth would cartels do something that would effect their money like that? They don’t care about U.S. politics or politicians.

Just money.

It’s strictly economics.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

It is about control and money, never about stopping drug addiction. They do not care that someone does drugs, they care about whose drugs they buying.

It also needs to be noted that many for profit prisons also exploit prison labor, essesntially a modern form of slavery and drug offenders make the best slaves. Without the drug laws, the for profit prisons would struggle.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 11:08 AM
link   
With 200 tropps?! Hmmm, me dont thing thats what its for.

Now tell me which units and THEN we will have an educated guess.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This is from a month ago. They are kickong up surveillance. Its an ANG unit so there are a couple with specialized Hurcs that do these kind of missions.

"The unit will provide intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance support to the operation"

www.militarytimes.com...

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Why not just hire the cartels to use their connections to get us the equipment and supplies we need to address our not so little virus problem??

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Supply and demand will always be the colour of the day, the legality of the matter being neither here nor there really.

Any government administration silly enough to retard the sale or production of narcotics in any kind of significant manner will most lightly find themselves in a state of anarchy and lawlessness rather sharpish.

There is no war on drugs people, never has been, never will be.

Only a conflict of interest over the profits and spoils generated by the sale of such.
edit on 2-5-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 11:18 AM
link   
My prediction is that the cartels will do a better job policing their own so as not to have to deal with the new government intrusion into their business.

The drug industry is just like any other industry; they loath government intervention and regulation and when faced with an increase they find ways to appease the government to make it go away.

Its all about the bottom line; war is expensive; appeasing the government less so.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Legalize the lot thus introduce a measure of quality control, tax the products appropriately and use the proceeds to fund proper rehabilitation centers for the people who developed problems with the use of such.

There are literally, not billions, but trillions of profits to be had, if only "they" were to cut out the middle Man, the thing is "they" are the middle Man.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Legalize heroin, meth, crack, etc.? Are you insane? It would lead to far more addicts and deaths than it does now if it's freely available. That's just as dumb as the WOD.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

Actually drug use might go down as opposed to an increase.

What's dumb is to not address the issues or collect the trillions in profits that are to be had.

Then again "They" do like to keep some revenue steams off the books.
edit on 2-5-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
Legalize heroin, meth, crack, etc.? Are you insane? It would lead to far more addicts and deaths than it does now if it's freely available. That's just as dumb as the WOD.

Seems to work just fine in Portugal for the last 20 years... They too were told the addicts would be 10 fold and it actually went down.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten

The argument is usually decriminalization rather than legalization. It's rare people suggest we sell it at the corner 7/11.

Also, it being illegal hasn't curbed use, and you can still make distribution illegal without slapping a felony on someone creating just another cog in the system. What's the difference between an alcoholic and someone who uses drugs? Why is one given a severe felony that follows them through life? In all reality, what's the difference between someone who is addicted to drugs and someone with another addiction that effects their life in a similar manner?

Do you really think if we made it to where someone wasn't labeled a felon for life, and decriminalize use, that Susy Q who makes straight A's would just go give heroine a shot? You think just because she wouldn't be labeled a felon she would be like, "why not, lets give it a go?".

The whole policy is horribly archaic, inefficient, and just leaves a path of waste and destruction.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

with the USA population/workforce 'Lockdown' which rotate among the max. population centers, the Cartels' will not be reducing their Narco distribution systems because of combat situations with LEOs & Army Reservists

what logic are your using ?

search up the Cartels in with Mexico government... open conflict with USA will not slow down their $$$

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   

what logic are your using ?

The reality of how the drug game operates. And history.

Which is contrary to everything Donald Trump and people like him are doing. As usual.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I had a lovely chat once with a Portuguese guy working on an engineering project near where I live. The decriminalisation literally turned his life around. He had an addiction, got caught with narcotics and the system supported him. We talked for a while about the Portuguese system.

I endorse decriminalisation, it makes sense. Drug use will go down, drug use will be safer and people will feel more inclined to change their lives around.

Because there's a huge stigma with drug use and addiction in general. It takes a huge amount of humility to admit that addiction has you by the balls, as is it's not easy for people to reach out for help. Portugal has much better recovery rates and engagement.

Same for a couple of Scandinavian countries that use similar systems. I believe Denmark has reasonable drug laws too.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

Same for a couple of Scandinavian countries that use similar systems. I believe Denmark has reasonable drug laws too.

I think all we need to do is look at the states that have legalized pot and see it is not a mad dash to use it, and we are talking a very weak drug too where more people would use it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join