It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polls find 30-40% of people afraid to leave isolation, the opposite of anti-liberty advocates fears

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Phaha! Check myself?

Short term memory getting you down?

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

Small price to pay to bring in their wonderful, new, and fair way of life under Communism! Yes, where everyone and everything is equally important! And all your worries are just a thing of the past!

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I have NOT noticed any massive fear in my state and the second largest city in it .
True around 30 % go every ware with a mask other then that no one really seams to give a dam .
Now take a look at states like Georgia Florida and the rest who opened earlier and wile it may take a month or 3 things will get back to the way things were with changes yes true .
wile there may be people who stay afraid that has always been the case and will not change but thinking kids will be scared to go out ? these the same kids who when to the beach right ? lol

NOTHING i mean Nothing stops a kid who gets a stupid idea . American kids being afraid to go out ??? lol Kids forget faster then any one . If anything good comes of this maybe just maybe kids and older people will take better care of our self maybe just maybe health care wont be just for the rich . I do KNOW wile I could BUY liquor I CANT get dental care as ITS ALL CLOSED . I Can BUY state LOTTO cards BUT had to get hold of a Thrift store OWNER to BUY clothing .
Talk about essentials - Tobacco ? liquor are ( BUT clothing and dental IS NOT ???

NO im with you guys this was worth a try But tring to keep the whole world closed for MONTHS or years is beyond foolish . Me I am MORE then ready to get out and do things . Uncal sam goes to bed around 9 pm here after he is asleep Im sneaking out the WINDOW . I never did take to being grounded well as a child and i really haven't changed much lolol .

I am 54 and some day no matter what I do death will come But I am NOT dead yet and prefer to LIVE and cant do that locked in my room . Ps will be smart enough to use more care and have accutly been Taking MUCH better care of my health lol .

Yea I acutely started taking ONE a DAY lol and already ride bike alot Before this but really miss it and dont plan on giving up my bike rides ( ps averge 6 miles a day for 12 years so may be old BUt better health then many young people .
As for this virus I get it My plan is RUN walk RIDE even if i use a tread MILL it off Cnat fill your lungs with fluid if you keep them in use . lEvery time i got the flue in my life its what i did . It sucks but cant stand being stuck in bed

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: CitizenZero

Actually, some of us would like to buy a house, but many realtors are closed because "non-essential", or so I'm told. Can't go into a bank because drive through only...kinda hard to get loan approval that way...

Frankly, I'm growing more and more tired of it, thankfully, some restrictions are being lifted, at least in some states.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I don't care enough actually...
edit on 3-5-2020 by Novaroc because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies

originally posted by: ColoradoJens

lockdownsceptics.org ran a poll saying this?

There's a shock. Polls are awesome in that they say what you want them to say.

You didn't read the article did you? They quoted lots of sources, like the Times, and scientific journals.

Love it when people make assumptions and lash out, failing to check out the source themselves. There's a shock - NOT.

I imagine Im one of a couple on this thread that did.

I like the quoting of scientific journals on a poll of scaredy cats that fit a narrative that a website called lockdownsceptics.org.

That part makes me want more smarts.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 08:32 AM
link   

If people are afraid thats fine, its their RIGHT to self isolate if they chose. Other people also have the right to live their lives and protect themselves the best they can so they can attempt to make a living and not lose everything they have. Its called FREEDOM. Point is, the state doesnt have the right or the authority to make EITHER decision for us.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I've noticed the trend also.

I had a conversation with my next door neighbors son yesterday. He does not want to admit he's more afraid of the virus even wanting a full 6 month lock down to deal with it from spreading and typical talking points from the media.

(he stated that if he was running things, he would force a 6 month lock down) When his own father said that if he was not retired, he would not have a 2nd home and unable to make it. It would destroy him.

Meanwhile the son pushing for 6 month lock down. When I stated how its destroying peoples lives, business, making some homeless, choosing rent or food and even a risk of losing your home now, imagine 6 months? He just repeats the same talking points. That we need it. He thinks everything will fix itself, yet hes at his fathers 2nd home and has not worked for 2 months. He is dead set in closing everything down. Even when I said, imagine 6 months of bills while not working Over something that has .3% fatality rating and effects a certain group of people? "

Many can't seem to think of the damaging effects in the long term. At what point is the cure worse than the disease ? How many need to lose their homes, go hungry etc? to make you feel safe to reopen? He refused to answer with a number.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: RetsuUnohana

You can't argue with stupid.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 01:06 PM
link   
The world has shifted, there is no going back only forward.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Muppets

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

I really hate seeing how the fear mongering and propaganda has cowed so many people.

My kids have been very impatient with their dad and me, because -- according to them -- we think we're invincible and we're not taking CoVid seriously... and we tell them it's really the opposite... we have accepted our mortality and we understand that life is for the living. As long as we're still here, we're going to live -- not just "survive".

I also had to point out that long before either of them were taking it seriously, that I had already told them how to prepare and protect themselves, as well as how to nurse and nurture their body's if they did get sick.

Society as a whole needs those of us who will continue to live our lives in public in order to gain herd immunity, exposing ourselves to the virus, contracting the virus, becoming immune to the virus. Some will die of course, but the vast majority will live. This is true herd immunity. (Not that fake kind with vaccines...)

Eventually, the self-isolaters will begin to believe their own eyes, see that CoVid is not the guaranteed life sentence that it's been made to be, and they will rejoin society again.

This is a very good point, all of it, and I agree whole heartedly. I will be the first to a restaurant, the first to anywhere, to a crowded concert. And yes, even the fearful will eventually come out. The media might then have to institute a new campaign, trying to get people NOT to be afraid.

But this is not the first time this has happened. It happened with TB in the 40s too, and other diseases.

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: thebtheb

This is a very good point, all of it, and I agree whole heartedly. I will be the first to a restaurant, the first to anywhere, to a crowded concert. And yes, even the fearful will eventually come out. The media might then have to institute a new campaign, trying to get people NOT to be afraid.

Cool -- maybe we'll see each other out and about and not even know it!

On a more practical note, perhaps now is exactly the time to lift the mandatory lockdowns, and to organize voluntary lockdowns. There seems to be enough who want to be out and about to serve the purposes of gaining herd immunity the good old fashioned way... and those who want to stay hidden will limit the numbers who need hospitalization, to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed.

So those restaurants who want to open, and those diners who want to patronize them, can. But if a restaurant wants to continue curbside and delivery, and folks want to limit themselves to curbside and delivery, then they can do so.

I could see a continued limit on mass gatherings, such as concerts and fairs, until a certain standard has been met. But these numbers seem to indicate we could voluntarily continue to slow the spread at a manageable rate.

But this is not the first time this has happened. It happened with TB in the 40s too, and other diseases.

You're right. I think too many people have grown up in a false sense of security... as if we can live in a magic bubble of protection... and it's just not the reality. Some folks are in for a harsh wake-up call when they figure out they are neither immune nor immortal.
edit on 3-5-2020 by Boadicea because: formatting

posted on May, 3 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rob808

The world has changed, yes, but the world ALWAYS is in a state of change. We are not spectators in the change, we MAKE the changes we WANT. As in WE THE PEOPLE. We dont need an erosion of freedoms or permanent house arrest to get though this pandemic. There have been lots of pandemics in the past and we didn't lose our freedoms over it. NOTHING has changed to the degree that this needs to happen.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I heard a perspective today that jives with the 30-40% being fine with the orders...

Someone told me today that they were wearing a mask/practicing strict social distancing/self-isolating/etc. and they said they are doing it because they "Just don't know" how bad this is. That's it. This is also someone I know to not take much in the way of risks in general - so their response makes sense.

And it dawned on me - that's what this is all about. Attitudes.

People who are more independent/less scared of taking on challenges don't worry about the virus. Why? If they get it, fine, they'll deal with it. If it kills them, it'll have to work real hard because those be some stubborn folk. If they do die from it, they knew the risks and would rather have continued living their life. That mindset has nothing to do with the virus.

The 30-40% you're referencing probably are approaching the virus like they would any problem - government is the solution, someone else solves the problem, just wait to be told what to do, etc. These people are already dependent on the government more than others... so sitting around waiting to get their "freedoms" back isn't such a big deal. The government is basically their parent/employer - so they do what they're told to keep getting fed.

I bet that number shrinks though... eventually those people in the 30-40% who are "scared" to resume normal life will see lots of people having a good time - and that they aren't all dying all the time - and come out.

Good news - those of us who aren't scared of getting back to normal should have a boat load of opportunity for good jobs/work/contracts because we'll run into a labor shortage - don't forget... that 30-40% is still being bankrolled by the government - plenty of income - just waiting to spend money on your goods and services while they're on Funemployment!

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

There is a new poll out that is showing 40 percent of Americans are going to avoid public spaces for very long unless it is "absolutely necessary".

Nearly 25 percent of people said they will wait for weeks between one to two months.

Around 16 percent of people said that they might not ever feel comfortable for coming out in public spaces again.

11% say they may never return to work due to fear they will catch something and die.

www.ibtimes.sg...

This has been the work of the media who has spent months now terrifying and terrorizing the nation, basically telling people if they get within 6 feet of another human outside their home, they will die a wretched and horrible death from COVID 19. Which is far from the truth for 90-95% of US citizens. Yet the media and many state Governors perpetuate this myth and I wonder what their agenda is.

The populace are now thoroughly subdued, compliant and living in daily terror. So the media and the state Governors who enacted draconian, dictator style rules can relax with the propaganda campaign that EVERYONE WILL die if they dare to be within 6 feet of any other human being, or allow their children to be with other children, or socialize with friends or family who don't live in their homes.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaChaser

Please read my post above this one. The links and more details are there.

There is yet another poll out that shows that 40% of all people will self-isolate even when restrictions are lifted.
A large percentage say they will never feel comfortable going in public ever again, think of what that will do to things like concerts, sports (even at the high school level), movies, live entertainment, restaurants.
11% say they are terrified to go back to work and may not.

The subjugation of the populace is complete. So very sad.

I will continue to self-isolate. BUT I want it to be voluntary - I want to restore liberty and freedom - I do not want to force anyone to isolate because of my fear.

What ever happened to "my body, my choice"?

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011

originally posted by: Rob808

The world has changed, yes, but the world ALWAYS is in a state of change. We are not spectators in the change, we MAKE the changes we WANT. As in WE THE PEOPLE. We dont need an erosion of freedoms or permanent house arrest to get though this pandemic. There have been lots of pandemics in the past and we didn't lose our freedoms over it. NOTHING has changed to the degree that this needs to happen.

The entire world has succumbed to Nazi like totalitarianism. I think it may be generations before the oppression is lifted, if ever. Now that State Governors have had a taste of dictatorship powers, and many governors end up Presidents, this could mean more and more oppression and more Nazi like behavior that the populace has now been trained to accept. The media terrorized and terrified the populace with the lie that everyone WILL die if they go out or get within 6 feet of any human outside their home - and as a result the populace accepted and is practically begging for Nazi like restrictions of movement and heavy handed control over others. So very sad and scary.

No I don't think we will ever go back. Now that Governors have experienced the absolute power trip that comes with the job, they won't want to let go. Witness Oregon, with one of the lowest rates of infection in the nation, their Governor has dictated strict lockdown measures until July 6.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 08:16 AM
link   
What a load of rubbish.

I know people that are self quarantining. Non of them have the blanket clutching fear that you described.

I would say that mostly, they have a cautious approach to life.

Most of my friends are in an older age demographic, the same demographic that does so poorly when the get a bad case of covid 19. So, I appreciate their cautious approach. And yes, we will not be the first cohort to frequent bars, restaurants etc.

Good luck with your life and stop spreading your propaganda

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Must be related to the part of the country you're in?

Midwest Indiana, everyone I know has been going to work like regular hours. We do have to wear facemask, social distance, etc. The local stores are always packed when I go.

It's basically life as normal with masks and the MSM trying to freak everyone out.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join