It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polls find 30-40% of people afraid to leave isolation, the opposite of anti-liberty advocates fears

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   
One of the reasons I think this is all BS is that they political elite and bureaucrats aren't living by the same standards they are forcing down our throats.

Our Governor, JB Pritzker gets up on stage demanding everyone in IL shelter in place while he is flying his wife and kids down to Florida. An actual journalist called him on his hypocrisy the other day and he refused to answer the question.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I agree there is something we are not being told, but without all the information we can only make decisions based on what we know and the knowledge we have says it isn't as bad as they are making it out to be.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
If you are too afraid to go out and live that life then what is the point of existing at all?

For some, the point seems to be the continuous patronisation of everyone else who DOESN'T live each waking hour in fear of The End.

If those particular folks decide to stay at home after the lock-down is lifted, and promise to keep out of everybody's face... FANTASTIC! Time for a...

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: The2Billies

Jeeze.... Fear Mongering... blah, blah, blah.

How about I do not want to end up in the hospital with a 200K bill?

How is that for motivation?

Or, I don't want permanent lung, kidney, or heart damage so I can live the rest of my life disabled.

Or, If I am out of action for weeks with this crud, I may lose my damn job.

A haircut or restaurant trip is not worth that.

Plain Truth.

I will wait it out for as long as my employer lets me. If they will test and treat "Early" without a bunch of hoops, I may change my tune.

Quoted to stress the importance of this.

I'm right there with you. I told my boss the same. He wanted to start pulling people back in the office and I told him that I'm mid 40s so I'm high risk. No way in hell I'm going to the office until I see these other lab rats muck around screaming "FREEDOM" say it's all ok after 14 days.

I'm going a little stir crazy as much as the next guy, maybe more so because I don't have a live in girlfriend or wife to keep me feeling secluded. Still... I rather this for a while than die or even have that harsh of a sickness. I don't want to feel that. Especially with a fear is drowning (and I swim, sail...)

People are playing this down with the usual:

- It's no more deadly than the flu!

Oh yeah? Hmmm Last year only 15k deaths due to the flu. This thing has killed over 240k people already! Right now, record deaths are still ongoing.

- It's going away. It's no longer a threat. Lets open everything up.

Yeah? Knock yourselves out.... But know this

The hell you say!

This shows the DAILY rate of people being infected. New cases... Looks to me like we're kinda #%@&ed. Mid March, we were all told to stay inside because the numbers were gaining. Look at March vs the last month, today even... That average is telling me a whole different story.

YOU people (not you) can go outside and play around with each other but I live in Austin and my arse aint doing no such thing until I feel it's safe. People are getting out now, everything is going to what it was at the very beginning (curb side everything)... I'll give it 14 days. When Texas opens up 100% I'll give it another 14 days and then and only then will I make my choice to party with the revelers or stay my arse inside and try to stay away from getting ANY symptoms that come with this virus.

Deaths are still climbing as are new infections. The average on that chart is still crazy and a hell of a lot higher than the first day of this mess.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 01:35 PM
link   
This whole thing has turned a lot of people into germaphobes. They must not have paid attention in health class where they talked and how people and just the world in general is filthy and disease-ridden.

But here's an easy solution. The people who are afraid of the germ boogie man can stay indoors and wrap themselves up all they want. Then let the rest of us go about our business.

"How do you know you don't have it and will infect others?". I don't. How do I know I don't have the bubonic plague? I don't. So should I choose to live my life as if I do? Or should I live life as I always have, playing the odds, washing my hands, etc.? Worried? Stay the hell inside forever for all I care. Avoid me if you believe I'm diseased. Suits me fine.

The whole lockdown was originally to give hospitals a chance to increase capacity. That's done. It was never intended to wrap everyone up in cotton.

Enough already.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I am gonna be cautious, and not gonna risk much until at least Remdesivir is readily available and some method of testing. After that, I'll hit the pubs on the weekend, and then not come in contact with anyone from sunday-wednesday while checking my temp and (with hope) using some testing method to ensure I didn't catch anything nasty.

If found I did, I will immediately go into full quarantine mode and try to do whatever it takes to lessen the illness

Hand shaking is now trumped by fistbumps and hand sanitizer right after, and I also have a touch free thermometer, so anyone who is hanging in the group will have to get bleeped by me to see their temp before they can hang. We got a pretty diverse group of friends and most are understanding

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Hmmm Last year only 15k deaths due to the flu. This thing has killed over 240k people already!

I'd like to know where you're getting your numbers from.

During the 2018–2019 influenza season, there were 490,561 hospitalizations and 34,157 deaths in the US. Before that, during the 2017-2018 influenza season there were 808,129 hospitalizations and 61,099 deaths in the US. CDC LINK

According to the latest statistics, there have been 66.600 deaths in the US due to Covid-19 and it's likely to surpass 70,000 people.LINK

Covid-19 is more contagious, so naturally more people will catch it and end up dying from it. However, the mortality rate is no where near what they first thought it was.

“We’ve learned that way more people, far, far more people have actually been exposed to the infection without any knowledge of it,” Dr. Yealy, chair of emergency medicine explained during an extended conversation with reporters. “That makes the overall death rate much lower. Many people just didn’t feel sick at all and recovered without difficulty.”

Personally, I'm DONE having my life restricted because of the media and Liberal politicians stoking a panic with their nonstop, fear mongering rhetoric on the coronavirus. These people base their decisions and commentary based on the so-called "experts" skewed statistics...statistics that seem to change every other week. But hey, you can shelter in place until Winter if that's what you need to do to feel safe.

I think this statement, from a commentary I read on WND, is spot on and clearly explains the current situation better than anything I could've come up with:

So why has the country that used to tout itself "the land of the free and the home of the brave" so quickly become "the land of the docile and the home of the shuttered"? I proffer two related reasons. First, Americans possess an inordinate and false belief in "science," incorrectly assuming that it is next to infallible and that all scientists pretty much agree. "Follow the science" has been a mantra in the U.S. for a worldwide experiment that's never been previously undertaken. And if an experiment is the first of its kind, it cannot be settled science. Moreover, anyone with intelligence and a degree of honesty can see, as noted above, how wrong the scientists anointed as our corona pontiffs have been thus far. Secondly, the propaganda power of media, both political and commercial, has reinforced to an incredible degree the panic-laded message of the public health bureaucrats in charge, thus making the slightest deviance from the promulgated orthodoxy a blasphemous heresy. Mindless mask-wearing conformity and panic emerges based on burgeoning COVID case numbers that to a non-addled mind prove the virus is nowhere near as lethal as previously advertised and that herd immunity may soon be attainable.

www.wnd.com...
edit on 5/2/2020 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
This shows the DAILY rate of people being infected. New cases... Looks to me like we're kinda #%@&ed.

That's just because more people are being tested, not because there are more cases. Duh. And with more tests we can see that the actual death rate (with co-factors) gets smaller and smaller.

Afraid to go to work cause you might get sick? Fine. Stay home. But don't project your irrational fears on everybody else and keep things closed to protect yourself, even though you're hiding in your basement anyway.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

lockdownsceptics.org ran a poll saying this?

There's a shock. Polls are awesome in that they say what you want them to say.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Nothing wrong with that. You're being cautious and that should be prime.

I don't blame anyone for wanting to get out. I feel them. I've lived life up until I was 40 like an Evil Knievel and even still I'm not really that scared of death. It's the pain before death that keeps me looking over my shoulder when I do. I hear that stuff is pretty painful, therefore... I'm out!

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Soon as I see the source again, I'll pin it for you.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: StallionDuck
This shows the DAILY rate of people being infected. New cases... Looks to me like we're kinda #%@&ed.

That's just because more people are being tested, not because there are more cases. Duh. And with more tests we can see that the actual death rate (with co-factors) gets smaller and smaller.

Afraid to go to work cause you might get sick? Fine. Stay home. But don't project your irrational fears on everybody else and keep things closed to protect yourself, even though you're hiding in your basement anyway.

Deny all you want. Wont make any difference to me. I'm not telling you what to do or not do. I'm just sayin what IM going to do because I think people are playing this so far down that this is going to become one big hairy mess with a lot of casualties.

Yeah, more people are being tested but that's only recently... duh! The numbers didn't change between those two periods. The chart very visibly shows that. Why not go and look as to how many people were hospitalized over this virus. Those numbers are just as crazy - just in the US alone!

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Those numbers are estimates. It says so right there: "Estimated Influenza Illnesses, Medical visits, Hospitalizations, and Deaths in the United States — 2018–2019 influenza season"

A link in that same page How CDC Estimates the Burden of Seasonal Influenza in the U.S. explains:

CDC uses a mathematical model to estimate the numbers of influenza illnesses, medical visits, hospitalizations, and deaths in the United States, (1-4) as well as, the impact of influenza vaccination on these numbers.

The deaths with confirmed diagnosis for flu for 2017-2018 were 6,515.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I don't know if I found the article on Yahoo or Drudge. Instead of digging through my endless history over the last few days between my work computer and my home system - I'll just say you're right and I've been corrected. Not saying the info was factual or maybe I even missread it.

However, I will toss this tidbit in here that will strengthen my point.

Even bad flu seasons, like the 2017-18 season, in which an estimated 61,000 Americans were killed — including 7,119 by the flu or pneumonia in a single week — didn't claim lives as quickly as COVID-19 did last week.

- Source

From October 2019 to early April 2020, the flu killed an estimated 24,000 to 62,000 people in the US, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Those numbers are preliminary, and the CDC said it stopped updating its preliminary estimates for this flu season on April 4.
If 62,000 people died from the flu between October 1 and April 4, that means the US had an average of about 331 flu deaths a day.
By contrast, coronavirus killed more than 62,850 people in the US from the first known death in February through the end of April.
So from February 6 through April 30, an average of more than 739 people died per day from coronavirus in the US.

- Source

- Flu vs Covid Spread Factor

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
Those numbers are estimates. It says so right there: "Estimated Influenza Illnesses, Medical visits, Hospitalizations, and Deaths in the United States — 2018–2019 influenza season"

A link in that same page How CDC Estimates the Burden of Seasonal Influenza in the U.S. explains:

CDC uses a mathematical model to estimate the numbers of influenza illnesses, medical visits, hospitalizations, and deaths in the United States, (1-4) as well as, the impact of influenza vaccination on these numbers.

Thank you! I was looking for that
edit on 2-5-2020 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Everybody pretty much has their own situation their own plus and minuses to relaxing the restrictions. Hopefully, fearful persons will be able to stay at home, work at home to suit their needs, Conversely after 8 weeks of shutting down plenty need to try and get to work as their jobs can not be converted to stay at home. Yes, there will be a spike likely in 3 or 4 weeks but some of us have to forge through that to get a glimpse of what is going to be left and viable on the other side. Still going to use all sterile protocols etc. It's the next step, sooner it's done the better for all of us.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

Page 6.... 55,000 flu and pneumonia deaths in 2017. The combine flu and pneumonia because flu often leads to it and is what triggers the death. Much like Covid.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Or, I don't want permanent lung, kidney, or heart damage so I can live the rest of my life disabled.

EXACTLY!!
What happened to "you do you, I do me?"
I guess that goes out the window right.

I am absolutely laughing at the OP's Korean example.
Please everyone, take a deep hard look WHY Korea is doing so well.

People freaking self isolated......something that seems impossible here.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

One of the problems is that they are intentionally labeling everything a Covid death. Under normal circumstances, a guy who gets hit by a bus and killed; the death would be from blunt trauma. Now they test the guy, he is positive for Covid, they claim Covid killed him, not the bus.

We've posted links where 40% of NY reported deaths labeled as Covid aren't even tested. They just presume they died of Covid.

With all that said, even with current death rates taken at face value, the risk is extremely low and doesn't warrant this shut down.

I absolutely believe people who are in high risk demographics should be taking caution, but the entire planet shouldn't be shut down.

posted on May, 2 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: infolurker

EXACTLY!!
What happened to "you do you, I do me?"
I guess that goes out the window right.

I am absolutely laughing at the OP's Korean example.
Please everyone, take a deep hard look WHY Korea is doing so well.

People freaking self isolated......something that seems impossible here.

The fun will start when people start suing their companies, states and government for catching this bug now that so many people are so anxious to get out of the house.

I honestly believe democracy worked here. So many people were up in arms about being secluded that instead of safety, they/we felt like it was the stripping away of our rights. Right now, most of the country is opening up because the people spoke and the governors listened and reacted. Democracy worked.... Hell, I'm still waiting for the news article that we were all contained to stop panic from a massive asteroid on it's way to armageddon us.

I was even all puffed up wanting to go out only because the gubment told me to stay in. Now I realize how silly that would have been. Yeah, in the beginning many of us felt it was a farce that something evil was the ringleader here - but it just very well may be to keep us safe and there was nothing shadey about it.

I still think this was no 'natural' virus or at least just popped into population by mother nature.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join