It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS School Of Philosophy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The world is a dark place at the moment, my friends. Perhaps by opening this page, you have come seeking a little... er.... enlightenment? Yes! Enlightenment!

The ATS School Of Philosophy is now open!

Anyone can teach their fellow man or woman... we are all different. So please, feel free to educate each other! One condition: Be Humourous!

Today's Lesson:

One day a farmer's donkey fell down into a well. The animal cried piteously for hours as the farmer tried to figure out what to do. Finally, he decided the animal was old, and the well needed to be covered up anyway; it just wasn't worth it to retrieve the donkey.

He invited all his neighbours to come over and help him. They all grabbed a shovel and began to shovel dirt into the well. At first, the donkey realized what was happening and cried horribly. Then, to everyone's amazement he quietened down.

A few shovel loads later, the farmer finally looked down the well. He was astonished at what he saw. With each shovel of dirt that hit his back, the donkey was doing something amazing. He would shake it off and take a step up.

As the farmer's neighbors continued to shovel dirt on top of the animal, he would shake it off and take a step up. Pretty soon, everyone was amazed as the donkey stepped up over the edge of the well and happily trotted off!

So, my students, make a note:

Life is going to shovel dirt on you, all kinds of dirt. The trick to getting out of the well is to shake it off and take a step up. Each of our troubles is a steppingstone. We can get out of the deepest wells just by not stopping, never giving up! Shake it off and take a step up.

Remember the five simple rules to be happy:

1. Free your heart from hatred - Forgive.

2. Free your mind from worries - Most never happen.

3. Live simply and appreciate what you have.

4. Give more.

5. Expect less

Now, enough of that crap...

The donkey later came back and bit the.... *AHEM* out of the farmer who had tried to bury him. The gash from the bite got infected, and the farmer eventually died in agony from septic shock.

Moral of today's lesson:

When you do something wrong and try to cover your arse, it always comes back to bite you.

You have two choices... smile and close this page or pass this along to someone else to spread the fun. I know what I did!

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Those who run to the top of the mountain are doomed to fall from it.

Basically those who rush through life as fast as they can without thinking about what is going on are doomed to make dangerous mistakes.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daystar
Anyone can teach their fellow man or woman... we are all different. So please, feel free to educate each other! One condition: Be Humourous!

What ever happened to the one condiction?

This is just advice

Don't get in a fight with a mafia don.

Less you wanna "sleep with the fishes".

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Keep this in mind the next time you either hear or are about to repeat a rumor!

Let us begin today's lesson!

In ancient Greece (469 - 399 BC), Socrates was well known for his wisdom. One day the great philosopher came upon an acquaintance who said excitedly, "Socrates, do you know what I just heard from one of your students?"

Wait a moment," Socrates replied. "Before telling me anything I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter Test."

"Triple filter?"

"That's right," Socrates continued "Before you talk to me about my student, it might be a good idea to take a moment and filter what you're going to say.. The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"

"No," the man said, "actually I just heard about it and ..."

"All right," said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it's true or not. Now let's try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my student something good?"

"No, on the contrary ...."

"So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad about him, but you're not certain it's true. You may still pass the test though, because there's one filter left: the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my student going to be useful to me?"

"No, not really."

"Well," concluded Socrates, "if what you want to tell me is neither true nor good nor even useful, why tell it to me at all?".

Summary:

This is the reason Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem.

It also explains why he never found out that Plato was banging his wife.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I just spattered that cuppa tea you made me all over my keyboard

Thank you, that was lovely.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Those who spread their wings without learning to fly are doomed to fall upon the rocks of life

You aren't the master of anything until you have learnt that which you are trying to learn, listen, think and learn, then you can master that which you desire.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
A castle can be both a defence and a prison

That which you see as a weakness can also be a strength, and that which you see as a strength can also be your weakness.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 06:26 AM
link   
You can never do your best for it is always better than what you have achieved

Harsh words of wisdom I know but it is true, no matter how hard you try you can do better through training, practice and determination, remember the wall is there as a hurdle not a wall

More words of wisdom soon

new topics

top topics

join