It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you go back to work?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

It definitely doesn't seem fair for everyone working this entire time. Luckily it's currently limited to 16 weeks, and there are some stipulations. I run a small company and all the employees work from home. I've actually had a few ask if we could lay them off or fire them so they could collect this "extra" unemployment. We even had an employee still employed with us file for unemployment...that was a nice letter we sent to the unemployment office explaining our employees attempted fraud.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 10:02 AM
link   
If I was a young person I would totally use this circumstance to try and snag a job I really wanted. I doubt though if it was a really good job people would be sitting around not wanting to get back to work even if they were making a little more sitting on their ass.

What I suspect will happen is the real crap jobs will have a hard time filling positions until the funny money dries up.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 10:06 AM
link   
The additional boost in unemployment benefits will only last through the end of July. It's not a never ending increase in benefits.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
If I'm not mistaken, people on unemployment also have to be "actively looking for work" to continue to receive benefits (under normal circumstances). Not sure how that is verified.

It’s not just that easy. The company that let the employees go has that unemployment come out of their account and will have to pay it back to the state eventually in higher premiums. (Tennessee)

I’m an employer, if I lay someone off and I call them back, if they refuse the position, I can dispute their unemployment status. If anyone quits I will always dispute any unemployment claims from that employee, as I had a position for them.

Am I a heartless bastard? Maybe, but I play by the rules. It’s usually best to keep employees working. That way everyone makes a buck. Right now my people are working on every project we can find and taking care of maintenance here at the shop. I am supplementing the cost with the Payroll Protection Program. The program has been a Godsend or I would have been forced to lay-off 1/2 of my staff.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 10:08 AM
link   

That's ridiculous. If anything, they should be given a portion of their normal pay. No better way to make a lazy person a dependent piece of shat though.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
If I was a young person I would totally use this circumstance to try and snag a job I really wanted. I doubt though if it was a really good job people would be sitting around not wanting to get back to work even if they were making a little more sitting on their ass.

What I suspect will happen is the real crap jobs will have a hard time filling positions until the funny money dries up.

This is mostly affecting people making minimum wage type jobs where the benefits can accrue to higher than their wages working. While it is shifty, you can't really blame them.

I suspect though most businesses will not be running a full capacity for at least a year, if not longer. As a result, they won't be able to hire everyone back. A lot of these people won't find jobs when the benefits run out.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I have been working as an "essential" all along. I am already keeping my eyes open for better pay and benefits, or for my current employer to compete for my retention . . . this has the potential to increase competition for good employees or employees in general.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 10:19 AM
link   

We have two people here where I work that filed for unemployment. One of them left in January, the other left in March and refused to call in and tell his managers that he wouldn't come back and he refused to return their calls. These are just two lazy dirtbags, I'm quite sure there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of others doing the same thing.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I don't blame them for taking advantage of it at all but it's actually a bad idea. The longer someone is not working the harder it gets to get back out there. By the time they do any decent job will be filled. It would be better to try and get a better job right now. If they are working low level entry work and take this funny money approach though they likely have a very low aptitude and will be perpetual losers anyway so who cares.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I think you underestimate how shiftless most people really are...

I should use that as my ATS quote. Am sure it will ultimately prove to be the understatement of the decade.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
I should use that as my ATS quote. Am sure it will ultimately prove to be the understatement of the decade.

If you do I'll also use it but claim it was my quote.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Hushabye

I'm expecting people are not going to turn out to be as shiftless as a lot of you seem to think they're going to be. Other people are not you and may not do the same things you might do in any given situation
I can't believe how often I have to tell this to grown adults.

People like me, for example, are using it to buy materials to create a new line of work for themselves. Hopefully multiple lines- that don't require you to prostitute your body and mind for someone elses dream.

I think you underestimate how shiftless most people really are...

I wouldn't even call them shiftless. It's the dumbass politicians fault. If a person can make more money sitting at home than working then they are just doing what is in their best interest (at least temporarily).

Before you all start calling me a shiftless bastard, I have worked through this whole thing and so have all my employees.

I let them all know that they can do whatever they want, but that if they don't show up for work purely to get the government to pay them then I will replace them. Just business nothing personal.
edit on 30-4-2020 by MRinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3
No, your not. It is the same here in MI. I used to handle firing and unemployment stuff, and did fight a bad employee.

Now, as far as being on unemployment? I was on it when my position was terminated, for a few months. I never saw any "oversight" as far as making sure I was really looking. (I was) I did everything online, and you just had to list 2 jobs you applied for, per week. That was two years ago.

And, you don't have a choice, I wouldn't think, as others have said, it only lasts 16 weeks. You can get an extension, But I don't think they are given those, at the additional 600 per week rate.

edit on 30-4-2020 by chiefsmom because: fixed time frame. been at the new job longer than I thought.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I never stopped working. I know several that are making more on unemployment than they made working.

2 of them will have to find new jobs. The others are waiting for there employers to reopen.

I'm sure a lot of lazys that volunteered to be laid off will have to find new work when everything reopens.

Lots of idiots in Illinois where I live.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 10:31 AM
link   
No, if you call your employees back and they refuse, they will get kicked off of unemployment.

There is an exception if they are staying at home to care for children or they have or might have the virus.

Besides, the extra amount only lasts until June 30th.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Another question is do They! want you to go back to work?

and they realy dont want the small businesses to go back.
as the big businesses make more money and more control.

edit on 30-4-2020 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Makuahine
The additional boost in unemployment benefits will only last through the end of July. It's not a never ending increase in benefits.

Imagine our world when that happens.

I haven’t even received my benefits yet. The Self employed don’t get theirs until May 12th. Thank god I had some savings.

And I don’t get the $240 a week from the state. Only the $600 from the feds.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

That's ridiculous. If anything, they should be given a portion of their normal pay. No better way to make a lazy person a dependent piece of shat though.

Agreed. I didn’t make the rules. The government is enabling laziness.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I know several people making more so this is definitely a thing in Canada anyway. I am just working enough that I can't get any money..
Can't wait to pay back billions.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Snarl

If you do I'll also use it but claim it was my quote.

I just said a little prayer to Cthulhu for you.

Please let there be a shiftless worker on duty, disinfecting the airplane cabins ATS's best-known mason will use, in his business travels.

McSockFace just cursed three times into the mirror and spun around to seal the deal.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join