It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you go back to work?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 09:19 AM
link   
If you made more money sitting on your butt at home, collecting employment?

Here in my home state, we have one of the smallest payouts for unemployment insurance, at only $240 max payout per week. Pretty measly. However, if you add the $600 per week federal payout, that brings weekly earnings to $840. Not too shabby for a lot of people.

Spread $840 per week over 52 weeks of the year, and that equates to $43,680 per year (roughly $22 per hour). According to Wiki, in 2016 the average single person income in the US was $31,099.

The U.S. Census Bureau lists the annual median personal income at $31,099 in 2016.[3]

en.wikipedia.org...

I personally know a lot of people that weren’t making $22 an hour before the panickdemic.

What does this mean Ladies and gentlemen??? It means, your average person just received a $10k+ a year pay raise — by SITTING ON THEIR ASSES!!

Now let’s give some examples, of just how this will affect us. I have family in Texas. In Texas, they just re opened restaurants. However, they are only allowed 25% occupancy (Bullsh!t).

What are the restaurant owners saying about this, you may ask? They are saying they won’t re-open with only 25% occupancy allowed. They can’t get their servers to come back to work. Due to the simple facts that they will make far less money, be required to wear an uncomfortable mask and gloves for their entire shift, will spend more time sanitizing than serving.

As if we didn’t already have a big enough problem with the majority of our society being coddled pansy asses. Now, they’ve been given a perfectly reasonable excuse to be a lazy ass. I can’t say that I blame them this time though. Our governments have officially given the green card for organized incompetence.

It will be very interesting to see where we are in a year from now...

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

It's a prime opportunity for those who have been looking for a job to snatch them right up. I told a friend of mine who was laid off and having a hard time finding something to hit the pavement hard when things start opening back up.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 09:29 AM
link   
If I'm not mistaken, people on unemployment also have to be "actively looking for work" to continue to receive benefits (under normal circumstances). Not sure how that is verified.
edit on 30-4-2020 by chelsdh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I'm at work now....

I expect to be working harder and making more money in a year. I however worry about the retail and service economy; they will be hurting for many years to come. The permanently unemployed numbers will soar!!

edit on 30-4-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 09:31 AM
link   
This question must be directed at fast food or retail store workers?

Why would anyone in a specialized field give up their job for a time-limited govt payout?

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
Not sure how that is verified.

With this many people on unemployment it isn't.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 09:36 AM
link   

If I'm not mistaken, people on unemployment also have to be "actively looking for work" to continue to receive benefits (under normal circumstances). Not sure how that is verified.

They do not have the manpower to police this. I just spoke with someone from the unemployment office yesterday. Her exact statement was “We have 10% of the needed manpower, to cover the influx of new applications”.

Additionally, it’s very easy to input that you’ve looked — when you really haven’t.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   

In my state they have suspended the requirement to look for work.

link   
Never stopped. Shrugs.

link   
Db post
edit on 30-4-2020 by neutronflux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
This question must be directed at fast food or retail store workers?

Why would anyone in a specialized field give up their job for a time-limited govt payout?

Yes, it mostly does. People that have skilled trades aren’t usually the coddled pansy asses, I was speaking of.

For me personally, I was making over 3 times the wages of unemployment. So I’m not too fond of sitting on my ass.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I'm expecting people are not going to turn out to be as shiftless as a lot of you seem to think they're going to be. Other people are not you and may not do the same things you might do in any given situation
I can't believe how often I have to tell this to grown adults.

People like me, for example, are using it to buy materials to create a new line of work for themselves. Hopefully multiple lines- that don't require you to prostitute your body and mind for someone elses dream.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 09:42 AM
link   
As far as I know you tell them where you applied for work and they contact the employer to see if you are telling the truth.

Sal

a reply to: chelsdh

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Up here all I see are help wanted signs. The gov checks are rolling and people are staying home, fishing or video games or whatever unemployed people do. Fourty years as a tradesman I have never been out of work. Big brother deemed me sacrificial so I haven't missed a beat with the woo flu going on. I believe you are correct in your assumption it is going to be hard to get this show on the road when the politicians finally pull their heads out of their asses and open things up. a reply to: KKLOCO

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: SallieSunshine
As far as I know you tell them where you applied for work and they contact the employer to see if you are telling the truth.

Sal

a reply to: chelsdh

As GHYD stated, many states are waving the requirement to look for work. It’s happening in mine as well.

Looking for work where? Is it just as easy as Cuomo said: “Go find an essential job”. The dude is a heartless dick.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Hushabye

I'm expecting people are not going to turn out to be as shiftless as a lot of you seem to think they're going to be. Other people are not you and may not do the same things you might do in any given situation

I think most people with common sense already know that not everyone is going to behave the same way, but there are plenty of people behaving the way the OP described...

Florida Senator Rick Scott is not a fan of the increase in unemployment benefits and wrote, “Businesses looking to reopen are telling us their employees don’t want to come back to work because they collect more on unemployment.” Scott‘s email also added, “And who can blame them? We cannot be paying people more money on unemployment than they get paid in their job.”

www.forbes.com... #39ae50d76b76

Tsoupelis said some of the 55 employees he furloughed in March are reluctant to return to work because of an unprecedented boost in unemployment benefits approved by Congress.

www.syracuse.com...

edit on 30-4-2020 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

It's a prime opportunity for those who have been looking for a job to snatch them right up. I told a friend of mine who was laid off and having a hard time finding something to hit the pavement hard when things start opening back up.

Your friend and everyone else that got denied unemployment wages, will be doing the same. I don’t think there will be as many jobs as you think. Many businesses are going under.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO
If you made more money sitting on your butt at home, collecting employment?

Here in my home state, we have one of the smallest payouts for unemployment insurance, at only $240 max payout per week. Pretty measly. However, if you add the $600 per week federal payout, that brings weekly earnings to $840. Not too shabby for a lot of people.

Spread $840 per week over 52 weeks of the year, and that equates to $43,680 per year (roughly $22 per hour). According to Wiki, in 2016 the average single person income in the US was $31,099.

The U.S. Census Bureau lists the annual median personal income at $31,099 in 2016.[3]

en.wikipedia.org...

I personally know a lot of people that weren’t making $22 an hour before the panickdemic.

What does this mean Ladies and gentlemen??? It means, your average person just received a $10k+ a year pay raise — by SITTING ON THEIR ASSES!!

Now let’s give some examples, of just how this will affect us. I have family in Texas. In Texas, they just re opened restaurants. However, they are only allowed 25% occupancy (Bullsh!t).

What are the restaurant owners saying about this, you may ask? They are saying they won’t re-open with only 25% occupancy allowed. They can’t get their servers to come back to work. Due to the simple facts that they will make far less money, be required to wear an uncomfortable mask and gloves for their entire shift, will spend more time sanitizing than serving.

As if we didn’t already have a big enough problem with the majority of our society being coddled pansy asses. Now, they’ve been given a perfectly reasonable excuse to be a lazy ass. I can’t say that I blame them this time though. Our governments have officially given the green card for organized incompetence.

I was going to do a thread on this last week. I saw an article with a Spa owner who was complaining that the unemployment benefits were making it hard for her to reopen.

The gist of the article was that this spa owner applied for the Paycheck Protection Program so she could continue to pay the salaries of her employees thinking she was doing them a favor. Well, the employees got mad at her because they preferred to be laid off / unemployed because they would actually be making more money than being employed.

She got a forgivable loan. Her employees hate her for it.

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hushabye

People like me, for example, are using it to buy materials to create a new line of work for themselves. Hopefully multiple lines- that don't require you to prostitute your body and mind for someone elses dream.

I think you underestimate how shiftless most people really are...

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I'm doing a mixture of work from home and going in when needed. The only thing this has cost me is overtime and a two and one half hour commute. My previous employer got a hold of me so now I'm consulting for them on the side.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join