It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Logic for the world.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The widely used phrases “all people are created equal” and “strength in diversity” diametrically oppose the other.

posted on Apr, 29 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   
1. Imagine going to an election. You have got the voting paper, with 1 name on it.

Here, you have 2 choices:

a. to make an X
b. to not make an X

2. There are no choices in this world.

You can choose to live like a sinner, or to live like a saint. (or anything in between).
But at the end ... every BODY dies. regardless on how it has lived.

This you may call truth. But ... unless you recognize that the way how you live in this world is only an X,
you may not accept that there is an alternative to it.

edit on 29/4/2020 by Hombre because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Coherent speech is one that is easy for the audience to follow. On the other hand, if coherence is lacking, their attention will soon be lost. Coherence means a sticking together within, a uniting of parts held fast together making a logical whole. Sometimes this is accomplished in large measure simply by the logical order in which the parts are arranged. But in most talks, speeches and commentary there are parts that need to be connected beyond the simple arrangement of material. In such cases coherence requires a bridge from one point to another. Words or phrases are used to show the relation of the new ideas to what precedes them, thereby filling in gaps due to change in time or point of view. This is coherence through connectives.

A closely related aspect of speech is logical, coherent development. It is a fundamental requirement of persuasive speech.

What is logic? For our purpose we might say that logic is the science of correct thinking or sound reasoning. It imparts understanding because it is the means by which a subject is explained in its connected parts. Logic shows why they act and belong together. The development is coherent if its reasoning follows a gradual growth in such a way that all parts are united in sequence. A logical development may be in order of importance, in chronological order or one going from problem to solution, to mention a few possibilities.

In the development of argument there are two basic methods that can be followed. (1) Set the truth directly before the audience, producing facts to substantiate it. (2) Attack some erroneous position, which, being demolished, will leave the truth to assert itself. It only remains then to make proper application of the truths under discussion.

No two speakers will reason exactly alike. A perfect example of different approaches to the same subject is in the writing of the four Gospels. Four disciples of Jesus wrote independent accounts of his ministry. Each is different, yet all wrote reasonable, logical presentations. Each developed the material to accomplish a particular purpose and each was successful.

They and other Christians like them, want(ed) to reach hearts with sound, persuasive reasoning. (Acts 19:8; 28:23, 24) If one wanted to follow their example, does that mean that one must learn to employ sophisticated logic in order to convince others about the truth of God’s Word? Not at all. Sound reasoning does not need to be complicated. Logical arguments presented in a simple manner are often most effective. Consider an example.

How might we respond when someone says that he does not believe in a God he cannot see? We could reason on the natural law of cause and effect. When we observe an effect, we accept that there must be a cause. We might say: ‘If you were in a remote area and came across a well-built house that was stocked with food (effect), you would readily accept that someone (cause) built that house and filled its cupboards. So, too, when we see the design evident in nature and the abundance of food in earth’s “pantry” (effect), does it not make sense to accept that Someone (cause) is responsible?’ The Bible’s simple argument puts it best: “Of course, every house is constructed by someone, but he that constructed all things is God.” (Hebrews 3:4) However, no matter how sound our reasoning may be, not everyone will be convinced. The Bible reminds us that only those who are “rightly disposed” will become believers.​—Acts 13:48; 2 Thessalonians 3:2.

We can also use logical reasoning to highlight God’s qualities and ways. Particularly effective is the ‘how much more so’ line of reasoning that Jesus occasionally used. (Luke 11:13; 12:24) Based on contrast, this type of reasoning can make a deep impression. To expose the absurdity of the hellfire doctrine, we might say: ‘No loving father would punish his child by holding his child’s hand in a fire. How much more so must the very idea of hellfire be repugnant to our loving heavenly Father!’ (Jeremiah 7:31)

One Myth Leads to Another (introduction page)
Myth 1: The Soul Is Immortal (One Myth Leads to Another)
Myth 2: The Wicked Suffer in Hell
From the box on the last page (myth 6):

REJECT MYTHS, STICK TO THE TRUTH

What can we conclude from this brief review of myths that are still taught by many churches? These “tales [Greek, myʹthos] artfully spun” cannot rival the simple and comforting truths of the Bible.​—2 Peter 1:16, The New English Bible.

Therefore, with an open mind, do not hesitate to compare with God’s Word​—the source of truth—​what you have been taught. (John 17:17) Then, this promise will prove true in your case: “You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”​—John 8:32.

Just remember the first actually somewhat profound statement in this thread made by rom12345:

For beings that are for the most part irrational, that is a big ask.
logic is vilified, even exterminated, when it presents un popular ideas the majority is too invested in.
it certainly does not change minds that are all ready made up.
logically entertaining the notion of humility is in order.
good luck with that.

Or as the Bible writer Paul puts it, pointing out some more significant details about this behaviour and these types of attitudes:

“For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome* [Or “healthful; beneficial.”] teaching, but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled.* [Or “to tell them what they want to hear.”] They will turn away from listening to the truth and give attention to false stories.* [Greek: myʹthos]” (2 Timothy 4:3,4)

“Look out that no one takes you captive* [Or “carries you off as his prey.”] by means of the philosophy and empty deception according to human tradition, according to the elementary things of the world and not according to Christ;” (Col. 2:8)

The word philosophy is derived from Greek roots that mean “love of wisdom.” As used here, philosophy is not built on acceptance of belief in God, but it tries to give people a unified view of the universe and endeavors to make them critical thinkers. It employs chiefly speculative means rather than observation in a search for truth.

How can any of us acquire true knowledge and wisdom?

Prov. 1:7; Ps. 111:10: “The fear of Jehovah is the beginning of knowledge . . . [and] of wisdom.” (If the universe were not the product of an intelligent Creator but only of some blind, irrational force, then no unified view of the universe would be possible, would it? Nothing that would qualify as wisdom could result from a study of something that was itself irrational, could it? Those who attempt to understand the universe or life itself, while endeavoring to leave God and his purpose out of account, meet with constant frustration. They misinterpret what they learn and misuse facts that they glean. Leaving out of account belief in God destroys the key to accurate knowledge and makes impossible any truly consistent framework of thought.)

Prov. 2:4-7: “If you keep seeking for it as for silver, and as for hid treasures you keep searching for it, in that case you will understand the fear of Jehovah, and you will find the very knowledge of God. For Jehovah himself gives wisdom; out of his mouth there are knowledge and discernment. And for the upright ones he will treasure up practical wisdom.” Knowledge (Greek: gnoʹsis) is put in a very favorable light in the Scriptures. However, not all that men may call “knowledge” is to be sought, because philosophies and views exist that are “falsely called ‘knowledge.’” (1Ti 6:20) Therefore... (read my signature to complete that sentence)
edit on 30-4-2020 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: rom12345
For beings that are for the most part irrational, that is a big ask.
logic is vilified, even exterminated, when it presents un popular ideas the majority is too invested in.
it certainly does not change minds that are all ready made up.
logically entertaining the notion of humility is in order.
good luck with that.

Good point. Here are some more from Proverbs chapter 1 (the highlights):

The proverbs of Solʹo·mon, the son of David, the king of Israel:

2 To learn* [Lit., “To know.”] wisdom and discipline;

To understand wise sayings;

3 To acquire the discipline that gives insight,

Righteousness, good judgment,* [Or “what is just.”] and uprightness;* [Or “fairness.”]

4 To impart shrewdness to the inexperienced;

To give a young man knowledge and thinking ability.

5 A wise person listens and takes in more instruction;

A man of understanding acquires skillful direction* [Or “wise guidance.”]

6 To understand a proverb and a puzzling saying,* [Or “a parable.”]

The words of the wise and their riddles.

7 The fear of* [Or “reverence for.”] Jehovah is the beginning of knowledge.

Only fools despise wisdom and discipline.
20 True wisdom cries aloud in the street.

It keeps raising its voice in the public squares.

21 At the corner* [Lit., “head.”] of the busy streets it calls out.

At the entrances of the city gates it says:

22 “How long will you inexperienced ones love inexperience?

How long will you ridiculers take pleasure in ridicule?

And how long will you foolish ones hate knowledge?

23 Respond to my reproof.* [Or “Turn back when I reprove.”]

Then I will pour out my spirit for you;

I will make my words known to you.

24 Because I called out, but you kept refusing,

I stretched out my hand, but no one was paying attention,

25 You kept neglecting all my advice

And rejecting my reproof,

26 I also will laugh when disaster strikes you;

I will mock when what you dread comes,

27 When what you dread comes like a storm,

And your disaster arrives like a storm wind,

When distress and trouble come upon you.

28 At that time they will keep calling me, but I will not answer;

They will eagerly look for me, but they will not find me,

29 Because they hated knowledge,

And they did not choose to fear Jehovah.

30 They refused my advice;

They disrespected all my reproof.

31 So they will bear the consequences* [Lit., “eat from the fruit.”] of their way,

And they will be glutted with their own counsel.* [Or “schemes; plans.”]

32 For the waywardness of the inexperienced will kill them,

And the complacency of fools will destroy them.

33 But the one listening to me will dwell in security

And be undisturbed by the dread of calamity.”

To Whom do you Belong?

Some additional information on some of the words and terms used in the parts I quoted from the book of Proverbs:

Knowledge (Insight on the Scriptures, Volume 2)

Essentially, knowledge means familiarity with facts acquired by personal experience, observation, or study. The Bible strongly urges the seeking for and treasuring of right knowledge, recommending it rather than gold. (Pr 8:10; 20:15) Jesus stressed the importance of truly knowing him and his Father, and knowledge is repeatedly emphasized in the books of the Christian Greek Scriptures.​—Joh 17:3; Php 1:9; 2Pe 3:18.

Source of Knowledge. Jehovah is actually the basic Source of knowledge. Life, of course, is from him and life is essential for one’s having any knowledge. (Ps 36:9; Ac 17:25, 28) Furthermore, God created all things, so human knowledge is based on a study of God’s handiwork. (Re 4:11; Ps 19:1, 2) God also inspired his written Word, from which man can learn the divine will and purposes. (2Ti 3:16, 17) Thus the focal point of all true knowledge is Jehovah, and a person seeking it ought to have a fear of God that makes him careful not to incur Jehovah’s displeasure. Such fear is the beginning of knowledge. (Pr 1:7) Such godly fear puts one in position to gain accurate knowledge, whereas those who do not consider God readily draw wrong conclusions from the things that they observe.

The Bible repeatedly links Jehovah and knowledge, calling him “a God of knowledge” and describing him as “perfect in knowledge.”​—1Sa 2:3; Job 36:4; 37:14, 16.

The role that Jehovah has assigned to his Son in the outworking of His purposes is of such importance that it can be said of Jesus: “Carefully concealed in him are all the treasures of wisdom and of knowledge.” (Col 2:3) Unless a person exercises faith in Jesus Christ as God’s Son, he cannot grasp the real meaning of the Scriptures and see how God’s purposes are working out in harmony with what He has foretold.

One is helped to appreciate more fully the meaning and importance of knowledge by examining the Hebrew and Greek words often translated “knowledge” as well as by noting the relationship between knowledge and wisdom, understanding, thinking ability, and discernment.

Some nuggets from the link to “understanding”:

Relationship to Knowledge and Wisdom. Understanding must be based on knowledge, and it works with knowledge, though it is itself more than mere knowledge. The extent and worth of one’s understanding is measurably affected by the quantity and quality of one’s knowledge. ... The “understanding heart is one that searches for knowledge”; it is not satisfied with a mere superficial view but seeks to get the full picture. (Pr 15:14) ...

Proverbs 1:1-6 shows that the “man of understanding is the one who acquires skillful direction, to understand a proverb and a puzzling saying, the words of wise persons and their riddles.” These must not be things said merely to pass the time away in idle conversation, for wise persons would not customarily waste time in such manner, but must refer to instruction, questions, and problems that discipline and train the mind and heart in right principles, thereby equipping the learner for wise action in the future. (Compare Ps 49:3, 4.) Knowledge and understanding together bring wisdom, which is “the prime thing,” the ability to bring a fund of knowledge and keen understanding to bear on problems with successful results. (Pr 4:7) The person who is rightly motivated seeks understanding, not out of mere curiosity or to exalt himself, but for the very purpose of acting in wisdom; ‘wisdom is before his face.’ (Pr 17:24; see WISDOM.) He is not like those in the apostle Paul’s day who assumed to be teachers of others but were “puffed up with pride, not understanding anything,” unwisely letting themselves become “mentally diseased over questionings and debates about words,” things that produce disunity and a host of bad results.​—1Ti 6:3-5.

Gaining True Understanding. ...

My favorite scene from that movie. Even though they don't actually explain the difference, nor the relationship. But I love the way he says “wisdom”, the tone hinting at the fact that “Wisdom is the prime thing, so acquire wisdom, and with all you acquire, acquire understanding.” (Pr 4:7)

Remember:

A man may imagine things that are false, but he can only understand things that are true, for if the things be false, the apprehension of them is not understanding. (Isaac Newton)

edit on 30-4-2020 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 04:48 AM
link   
You are not a body inside the Universe looking outward. You are the Universe looking inward.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: More1ThanAny1
Are you completely sure there is an inside or outside?
Is there really two (you + universe)?

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth
Their is only one life. At this moment Its locked into an information stream, It might be called life, I will call it a life because I have nothing else to compare it too. If I got bored and accessed another memory stream I would never know the difference whilst engaged . So I could be locking into an infinite number of information streams at the same time. You are me that moment ago when I was you. Their is only one life.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 07:10 AM
link   
And they showed me a world where I could be so dependable. Oh clinical, oh intellectual, cynical...

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Read carefully.

You are the Universe looking inward.

This means there is not two, there is only one. Uni-verse.

If you are the one thing that exists there is nothing else to look outward at. You can only look inward at your self.

posted on Jul, 28 2020 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Sensamazing !!

Logic : The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the Human misunderstanding.

Contemplating our potential for misunderstanding these perceptions : how to be sure about 'anything' ?

posted on Aug, 5 2020 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Logic is the function of everything...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join