It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slightly Flickering Computer Screen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
My screen has developed this low grade flickering. Barely perceptible, but it's hurting my eyes and my brain.

Wondering if it's a neuro-targeted virus. (Kidding. Mostly.)

Seriously - I know it's probably something normal and easy to fix. Just don't have the knowledge base. ...Help, anyone?

[It's only a year old, cheap brand, flat screen.]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Mine was doing the same thing. It was hissing too. I ignored it for a while and the problem got worse. Pretty soon it was going blank, randomly running test patterns, and then the sparks started...

I turned it off, left it for a while, and tried again. It worked okay for a while, maybe half an hour, then crapped out again. I didn't have a flat screen, and it wasn't new by any stretch of the imagination.

I would suggest you turn it in on the warranty if it's still valid, try to get it fixed.

If it is neural programming, I was hit with a big dose (I suffered through the blinking for a while) and I seem to be operating normally, so it must not be very effective.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Ah HA! Something I can actually help with.

I had this problem also and it made me nuts as noone else seemed to see it or be bothered by it at work. Finally, someone told me what it was..... wait for it.... the refresh rate!

No kidding. I don't have a PC handy at the moment, but I believe it was in the display control panel, and click advanced. Fiddle with the mHz settings, but be sure and test before you apply. If it's at 70mHz, try 75 mHz and so on. Seemed to be much worse under flourescent lights.

When you change the refresh rate, you might need to adjust the vertical or horizontal dimensions, but don't give up.

Good luck and happy viewing.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

I would suggest you turn it in on the warranty if it's still valid, try to get it fixed.

About one month past. Can't spell 'planned obsolesence' this a.m. Rats. ...any other ideas?

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
You could always blame it on destiny. Or before posting, try going to www.spellcheck.net...

[edit on 13-3-2005 by B2TheE]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedBalloon
Ah HA! Something I can actually help with.

I had this problem also and it made me nuts as noone else seemed to see it or be bothered by it at work. Finally, someone told me what it was..... wait for it.... the refresh rate!

sounds like the most logical explanation dude

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   
This should probably be under BTS Computer help. But since its you, you can try the below if you feel that your monitor is not going bad:

(there are multiple ways to get to the refresh rate settings, this is just one)

-->right click on a blank area of the desktop
-->select properties
-->select settings tab
-->select advanced
-->select monitor
-->use the drop down list to modify your screen refresh rate

Once you choose apply it gives you an example of what it will look like for a few seconds, and prompts you to choose if you really want that setting or not.

This setting depends on your monitor.
The default refresh rate setting is 60 Hertz (HZ); however, your monitor may support a higher setting (most do now). Check your manufacturer's documentation for information about the settings that your monitor supports.

• If you use a higher refresh rate, you can reduce the rate that your screen flickers; however, if you specify a refresh rate that is too high for your monitor, your screen may become unusable and your hardware may be damaged.
• Changes to the refresh rate affect all users that log on to the computer.

Bunches of links about this here.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Thanks, makeitso, I can quit looking for screenshots to post and refer to now

This problem had plagued me for so long, and I was beginning to think it was me who was crazy as no one else could see it. But I KNEW it was there, a barely perceptable constant flickering. I actually worked in a tech-support call center and finally someone explained that it was the refresh rate and had to do with how fast the flourescent bulbs were cycling also. I didn't care why, I just cared that my eyes were better immediately, and no more headaches

I hope this is the problem for soficrow as it's an easy fix, and makes using the computer so much more pleasurable. If you find one that works and displays properly, the monitor should be fine. I never had a problem on any of the screens I went and messed with to get the flickering to stop. As I mentioned above though, you may have to adjust the horizontal or vertical size of the screen itself. That's usually done with buttons on the front of the screen itself.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
well soficrow, if it was anybody else but you i would just say it was a computer problem. BUT, due to your posting content (which is excellent!) you are now the target of an experiment, you are being monitered and control protocols are now being tried on you. you may hear clicking and hissing on your phone and your tv may be watching YOU and your radio will now be transmiting subliminal messages to try to get you to stop what you are thinking. good luck!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
clearmind.

...And THANK YOU all - makeitso, red balloon. I think it must be the refresh rate. [crosses fingers tightly]

...sorry about posting in the wrong forum. I keep forgetting about BTS - maybe a mod can move this?

I'm off to be the wizard.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Toss the Death trap and get a nice new plasma or LED flat screen and live longer.

For years now, much research has been focused around the potentially harmful effects of the extremely low frequency (ELF) electromagnetic fields emitted by Cathode Ray Tubes (e.g., your television at home, or the monitor that you are using to read this document). Some researchers believe that such fields could be attributed to such conditions as leukemia, tiredness, or general fatigue. Others (e.g., Anzovin) state that in general, we are unsure on the biological effects of ELF emissions to know whether they are safe or not. Given this uncertainty, he argues that we should limit our exposure to such fields, and recommends the following precautions to minimize exposure;

Never sit to the side or back of a computer monitor - fields are far stronger here than in the front of a monitor.
Always sit at least 2 feet from your computer's monitor screen - the strength of an electromagnetic field decreases with the square of the distance from it's source.

Or you can just purchase the The Personal Ch'i Energy Disc
(AKA Personal Life Force Energy Disc)
Now available in silver or gold plated discs.

The Ch’i Energy Disc may be used in the following manner:
1. Worn around the neck, carried in a pocket or wallet/purse or pinned to clothing to give ‘subtle energy assistance’.
2. Placed on or close to food and water to reduce negative energy residues and ‘messages’.
3. To reduce the ‘energy blocks’ carried in plastics, rubber and synthetics and thus allow ‘subtle energy’ to flow through. Simply place it on or under them.
The ancient Chinese Sages, & Healers, Tibetan Monks and Egyptian Priests used Ch’i (Qi) as part of their everyday lives and realised that without it in harmony, illness would ensue leading to the quality of life being lessened. In addition, they all lived happily with out ever seeing a computer monitor.

Source: www.no..._source_just_pulling_your_leg.com

Red balloon and makeitso have given you the fix that should work, I would toss it and get a LED flat screen and enter the new millennium, but that’s me

[edit on 13/3/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Could it be something external? Placing magnets, cell phones, or even a plugged in flouresent light close enough to my monitor causes it to shake, even if just a little.

---Pineapple

top topics

join