It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obfuscation, Redirection and Generally Muddying the Water

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   
This is something that I guess anybody can and will do on occasion, regardless of their ideological leanings, but it seems rampant among the progressive types. I've seen it happen in discussions I've been involved in both cyper- and meatspace.

Here's an example. Someone started a thread yesterday wherein they asked why the left felt it correct to jump on the #metoo and #believesurvivors bandwagon when people like Ford make accusations against conservatives, but when people like Reade make them against progressive/liberal types, they keep their mouth shut and even go as far as ridiculing them and shouting them down.

There are a couple of people who kept trying to redirect the discussion and obfuscate the issue. They'd bring accusations of improprieties by right-leaning politicians, citing statements made by them and accusations made against them. I kept pointing out that the discussion was not about those people and the they were welcome to start a thread to discuss those issues, and asked the to answer the question at hand. They would constantly go back to their irrelevant comments and ignore the issue that had initially been brought up.

When people do this, they are avoiding discussing and issue that they want to obfuscate and for which they have no defense. Finally, after I'd asked them to numerous times to answer the original question - why was it acceptable to ignore and ridicule Reade but a sin to doubt anything Ford said - they just gave up and slunk off.

I say this to make a point: When you bring up an issue that you wish to discuss, do not allow people to obfuscate and redirect. As I said, I particularly see this a trick employed by progressives. If they cannot answer an issue, they will cast shade at you or someone remotely related to the issue, or try to twist it in some way and move the discussion away from anything that might impinge on their worldview. Just don't let it happen.

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

It's certainly a two way street, but the hypocrisy of the left on this particular subject is over the top. There doesn't seem to be any willingness to seriously discuss accusations against Biden.

The fact that Biden is already a terrible candidate should make these accusations end his nomination support. Doesn't matter though. The DNC is hell bent on putting the worst people possible on the ballot.

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 07:44 PM
link   

I have observed that extremists on both sides accuse anyone who questions their particular views, of being an extremist from the opposite side.

The concept that there could be a different opinion, which doesn't fit a platform, seems to be alien to an extremist.

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 08:29 PM
link   

I am not a human psychology expert but I have my opinions on that which you highlight.

1. They are willfully trying to derail the discussion. They understand the position they hold is untenable so better to switch to something else.

or

2. Maybe they are not cognizant of their efforts on the discussion. It simply feels "wrong" and they are throwing "right" at it in an attempt to regain balance to their perception. They may feel you are honestly in need of saving.

or

3. They are unaware they are even in a discussion. They merely regurgitate that which they were fed when provided the proper stimulus.

Regardless, I have little ability to reach any of them. It would be great though if I could. I am willing to listen and digest
differing view points as long as they are supported by a cogent bulwark and expressed in an adult manner. All the while I am aware I am not perfect. I have hot buttons too. I simply appreciate the effort on their part.

posted on Apr, 29 2020 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Haven't finished reading yet, but I loved "meatspace"!

I'm gonna' have to steal that one!

posted on Apr, 29 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I get frustrated when people redirect / sidetrack a discussion, regardless of what side they're on.

posted on Apr, 29 2020 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I get frustrated when people redirect / sidetrack a discussion, regardless of what side they're on.

Agreed. It does seem like progressive types are much more likely to employ the tactic, but it sucks regardless of who does it.

top topics

join