It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing goes "Nope" to Embraer..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 04:56 PM
link   
And Embraer arent happy about it..

SAO PAULO/PARIS (Reuters) - Boeing Co on Saturday pulled out of a $4.2 billion deal to buy Embraer's commercial jets division, sparking a furious response from its jilted partner and leaving plans for a U.S.-Brazil alliance from regional jets to jumbos in tatters.

Another quality decision by the Boeing Bean counters?
Boeing,Embraer talks

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Commercial aviation is not going to be the same after this virus. I'm not surprised the deal fell through.

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

With travel bans in place everywhere in the world, I cannot see how passenger airlines and maritime passenger transport are a good investment.

Aircraft manufacturers will be scraping to remain afloat for some time.

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 08:30 PM
link   
There will be plenty of gently used aircraft after the dust settles and carriers go belly up. Plus gas prices have cratered. Cheaper to fly half-empty planes than introduce an entire new design and associated pipeline of parts and training. At least for now.
Once gas and travel spike again, people will start worrying about efficiencies.

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 08:48 PM
link   
British Airways have just announced 12,000 redundancies too
Jumbos are being scrapped
Airbus are probably going to go bust....most of their A380's are gathering dust after safety concerns and the company are bleeding cash apparently
Virgin Airlines want a bailout but as they don't pay tax in the UK they can sod off
Holiday companies aren't refunding as they've no money so all we are getting are credit notes until at least July

I can almost smell the Chinese CEO's bargain hunting as I type

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

In your opinion does the new environment mean that small aircraft for commercial trips are going to be the thing, while the bigger jumbos are going to relegated to mostly cargo flights?

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

It's going to be a mix. The new 777 is going to see 13% improvement in seat cost per mile over the 777-300ER, and aircraft like the A350 and 787 won't go away. But aircraft like the 747-8 and A380 won't be around much longer IMO. The 747-400 is more or less done as a pax aircraft.

We're going to see fleet sizes reduced, in some cases pretty drastically, and new aircraft deliveries pushed back. Ultimately though, I think long range fleets will end up a mix of widebody twins flying long range and ultra long range flights, and narrowbody twins doing medium range flights, such as the east coast to England.

posted on Apr, 29 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Is it right to think budget carriers like spirit operating A330s are going to go belly up right away?

posted on Apr, 29 2020 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: hawkguy

Probably not right away, but there's been quite a bit of speculation that budget airlines are on the way out.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

Airbus are probably going to go bust....most of their A380's are gathering dust after safety concerns

Errr... what?
To which safety concerns are you talking about with the 380, or did you confuse that with the MAX?

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I think we are going to see a reset to the global aviation market that will see a time warp back to the 70's in many respects. Ticket prices will go up to allow airlines to survive, so that automatically kills airlines that have paper thin margins like LCC's etc. We can expect more Government backed carriers and I suspect a lot of routes to smaller points scale back or disappear for some years. Therefore hubs will see a return to greater emphasis as carriers try and rebuild. Therefore its possible that not all the late model large aircraft will go. An operator will likely look at load factors and decide to run only a couple of services a week rather than daily runs. If you can fit more people in one run for the crewing costs then a 748, 777-300 or A-380 will work for now. And as RR pointed out you have lower fuel costs so its not as much of a problem as it was a year or two ago.

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Nevermind, just noticed you'd already answered my questions.
edit on 30-4-2020 by ChayOphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2020 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Id like to see smaller high speed jets run the long range routes.With tech the way it is it would be a lot cheaper than the old Concorde..

top topics

join