It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

That's Right, Keep Hating on the 1950s

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I do not get this "new" obsession with dumping on the 1950s. Of all the periods in history to b!tch and complain about....why choose the 1950s?? The end of the Second World War ushered in a very prosperous time; lot's of economic expansion, population booms and relative time of peace, Korean peninsula and a few other places not withstanding. If your gripe is with the 50's, you should maybe ask your elders what it was like to be alive during WW2 and The Great Depression.

Before you even go there, nope, I'm not a boomer, wasn't even a precursor to a glimmer in my parents eyes. I'm just somebody that shut up and listened when my grandmother described the poverty in the early 30's, and listened to my grandfather talk about getting ready to beach on some no-name island in the Pacific and wonder if the balance of your remaining life would be counted out in minutes, months or years.

IMO it says a lot about somebody's perspective on the rise and fall of civilization when they set their aim on the '50s. It tells me they are not a student of history, REAL history, not the revisionist kind. The very prosperity afforded to folks of our age, Ivory Tower dwellers with copious amount of leisure time to nitpick the faults of yesteryear, was paid in blood and sweat and tears of our ancestors.

Here we stand on the precipice of a great social corrosion and economic collapse the likes which the world's not seen in nearly a century, and you'll sometimes still encounter a thread with some snide remark about the 1950, generally from the perspective of a SJW or #PoundMeToo devotee.

I don't know how the rest of 2020 is going to play out: could improve, could deteriorate. All I know that there are a handful or more scenarios where this thing does not get better from here on out. There is no recovery; there is no economic bounce back; we witness a chain reaction of collapsing economies, famine, disease and worldwide conflict that sheds a few more 0s of the world population.

It's like I keep reminding my daughters, sometimes rather than look back on past failures and what could have been, take stock of what DID go right and the blessings in the here and now. All I know is if this goes sideways, one thing we won't be hearing about is social justice, "Old White men", homophobic -ism this -ism that. It's going to be bedlam, and nobody's civil liberties are going to be sacrosanct, least of all small demographic subgroups or those that can't obtain what they need or protect what the have by force.

Even those who lack context to measure the prosperity of the '50s won't have to be reminded that ain't much social progress was seen in times of economic distress, commodity shortages and widespread war.

+19 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

Every decade, every generation has good things and bad things.

In the boomer era, a handshake meant something.

Men tipped their hats to a lady.

We opened doors for women.

We played outside until the streetlights came on.

We said, "Yes ma'am and Yes sir" to our elders.

TV was only something you watched on Saturday mornings.

Games were played outside.

So there were good things, good memories.

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Whoa I thought I was on r/fragilewhiteredditor for a moment.

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 09:09 PM
link   

They'd never even heard of a Tamagotchi, how retarded.

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I have often referred back to the 50's. Yes, I am a boomer. While my family was not wealthy by any means, that was never the point for me.

It was peaceful. People didn't lock doors. No problem walking to the store alone at night. Murders were rare. Most people were employed. Movies and tv shows were wholesome (probably unrealistically so), and there was a total lack of gov. involved in your business.

As a teen we used to go to the drive-in and drink. There was always a cop on duty and never did he turn us in, just corralled us if we got out of hand. The days of the non militarize friendly cop.

Okay, just an old person reminiscing about the good old days.

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

Not every "boomer" is/was white.

+11 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Some people can't help bringing race into things. Seems awfully racist to me, but that's just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 09:14 PM
link   
My dad fought on one of those pacific islands. Iwo Jima as a mater of fact and was wounded.
He was the 2nd eldest son of a drunken father that failed to support his family of 6 children during the depression years prior and rode the carriage in the local sawmill here at the time to provide for his mother and siblings before joining the Marines. He also worked the cotton fields around here at the time. Back then, someone that rode the carriage turned the logs by hand. On one occasion, the steam driven carriage shot clear out of the mill into the yard with him on it. Where was OSHA? Oh, it didn't exist.

I was fortunate in that even though he made a lousy father he did provide for his wife and 5 children. We all had plenty to eat.

I'm a baby boomer born in December of 1950. I see all of this crap going on today and wish I was back in the 50's again. These newer generations, well I'll just save that thought for myself. Poor Babies...

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Thats true, but the ones that spout how great pre civil rights was usually are.

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Usually, the one screaming racism is the most racist.

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT

I've often found this to be most accurate.

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT

.....Well this ought to be an interesting exchange. Now where's my big-ass carton of popcorn?

Edit: Or perhaps I misread the comment entirely, and thus it will not be a spectacle. My bad < backs slowly out of conversation >
edit on 4/27/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I have a small carton but you can have some if you like.

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Thats true, but the ones that spout how great pre civil rights was usually are.

And who is that then?

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 09:26 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 09:31 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Just think of how it all will be in another 10 years when the mistakes of the RINO Neo-Cons here in 2020 caused a new age conservatism/patriot amalgam. I mean those right wingers then will make you, me, burdman30ott6 and others look like tree hugging bed wetters. All because the leftist dictators today like DeWine won’t restart the state. Ohio’s grand reopening is to enforce deeper and more stringent policies than within the lockdown/shutdown...madness, the madness of necromancy from death cultists picking at the final bones of a destroyed economy.

For those that disbelieve...do you see shoe stores and clothing shops resurrecting in the strip malls and few remaining standard malls? I watched a small plaza mall bounce back from a small tornado last fall to have the last of their shops rebuilt and opened in February only to have all the stores get Corona-ed in March.

DeWine has yet to have been seen wearing a mask properly in public, there is a picture of improperly wearing one. There are groups almost ready to grab him by the arms and walk him out of a Covid conference and out of office...and probably out of the country, truth be told via Lake Erie as the most expedient exile from Ohio and the US.

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

We're in for some dark times.

They could open all the shops and stores today, but who's going to have money to spend?

They'll have 2 months of back rent, 2 months of back utilities, 2 months of phone bills to pay.

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 09:57 PM
link   

They'll have 2 months of back rent, 2 months of back utilities, 2 months of phone bills to pay.

I think that may be a little optimistic.

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Shhh...you’ll get the economic necromancers salivating.

Stores are open, wares all polished and faced on display. No clientele that can afford it (or in Ohio’s case find a mask in order to be a legal client to engage in a legal business transaction—I kid you not).

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join