It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lichen Grasshopper. Wow!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It's true when they say that you learn something new every day. Take a look at this fascinating little creature. Wondering how many of you have seen or heard of these grasshoppers?

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Never even heard of those. Pretty cool. makes me wonder if all of the lichen on trees I have seen was really lichen. It appears they are down south, but I have gone into the woods in places down south to pee in the woods over the years when traveling. I mostly looked for snakes, not grasshoppers. Did see moss on trees though.

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I've never seen one either. And in all my long years, I have only seen one walking stick insect. Those are cool too.

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

I've never seen one either. And in all my long years, I have only seen one walking stick insect. Those are cool too.

I've seen the walking sticks in nature a few times, they are pretty cool. I wasn't about to start to try to play with one, I don't know if they bite. We got little spiders in our yard that change color depending on what color they are on. Yellow on yellow flowers, red on red flowers, green on leaves. I had seen them on plants before, but never had the time to sit and watch them to see they change color. I was surprised that in all the years of observing bugs that some of the bugs I thought were different were actually the same. I would never have thought a yellow bug on a flower was the same type as a green one.

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Looks like a methed out katydid

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Never seen those before and I grew up in the south... I've seen walking sticks before though.

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Mind blown — and it definitely deserves its name after viewing the second vid. Any idea where on planet Earth its native range is?

Much appreciate the new thing I learned today

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Cravens

North America, apparently.

www.inaturalist.org...

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I've only seen a few. For obvious reasons they are really hard to see. The first one I ever saw was when I was climbing a tree and I thought I somehow got hit in the face by some bark or something. Climbed back down and freaked out when I saw it.

Truth be told I've seen quite a few uncommon and rare insects. Some I've still never been able to identify.

When you go hiking through the remote areas you're always bound to see some odd variation of bug.

I think insects are one of the few animals that are always adapting and changing their features for survival. Probably partly because of how they progenerate so quickly. They spawn quickly and frequently. There are more chances for offshoot adaptations to take hold and be passed along.

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 10:40 PM
link   

It's ironic that I'm even speaking about insects as there are so many that freak me out. LOL Some I really like though and find them fascinating. Like A praying mantis...kinda looks like an alien. Haha

Spiders that change color??? Wow, never heard of that before. Spiders freak me out though.
edit on 26-4-2020 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Cravens

Looks like Lone answered the question. I didn't really do any research on it myself.

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

You are lucky to have been able to see a few. Wonder if they bite? I'd try to pick it up for sure.

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 11:35 PM
link   

I just get out a lot. Well, I used to. Now I'm trying to be a productive member of society so I can find a wive amd settle down, but that's not going well lol. But, I like to go off into the woods by myself to get away from everything. No distractions. Just me, nature, my thoughts, and reality. No human constructs.

In return I get to see the gifts the planet has to show me. I've seen beautiful and scary things. Sometimes both! I've seen things that a lot of people only see on in videos or in books, and I've seen things that seem as though they come from another world.

If you haven't gone out in nature before I really recommend it, and I don't mean your local hiking spots. I mean far off the beaten track. No phone, no camera, no laptop. Just what you need to survive.

As far as being bitten. I mean. Wouldn't surprise me. I've heard of people being bitten by common grasshoppers, so it's not much of a stretch.

Edit:

Actually just watched the videos. That's actually a katydid. Not the grasshopper.

Lichen katydids look a lot wilder than lichen grasshoppers lol
edit on 2642020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 11:48 PM
link   

It's ironic that I'm even speaking about insects as there are so many that freak me out. LOL Some I really like though and find them fascinating. Like A praying mantis...kinda looks like an alien. Haha

Spiders that change color??? Wow, never heard of that before. Spiders freak me out though.

I got bit by a dragon fly one day while fishing. It landed on my hand and I sat still and put my hand up and watched it washing it's face or something, then it slammed it's head straight down and took a big chunk of flesh off my lower joint of my pointer finger and flew away. it HURT LIKE HELL. It BLED like hell. I was shocked. Since that time I do not like those things anywhere real close to me. Those darn Pine Beatles hurt like hell when they grab a bite out of you too. I got stung on the tip of my nose by a bumble bee while driving down the road in my van....Instant bozo the clown, they laughed at me at work the whole day. A spider so small, and red, got pissed at me for teasing him in his web and bit my finger, the tip turned into a red ball. I was ripping the legs off of a harvester spider when I was about ten...she loves me, she loves me not....It bit me and it felt like it took my finger off with that bite.....probably a loves me not. I got bit by a brown recluse, I was just sitting at the picnic table with the neighbor looking at his firewood. It was good that the doctor gave me a real strong antibiotic, it did leave a scar, but not as bad as the hole in the leg that that neighbor got left with from one biting him. He did not get the real expensive and powerful med I got at first, different doctor, same office, he got it after a week. it rotted for an extra week.

But I am not afraid of spiders, but I am leary of dragon flies.

edit on 26-4-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

Nature is full of wonder and yes, the planet has many gifts to show us.

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   

I love your comical retelling of your bug bites. LOL

I had no idea that dragonflies bit people. They always seemed so harmless.

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Wonderful, thank you for sharing these! It diverted my attention from everything awful going on in the simulation...

Here's something special for you:

Grasshoppers are usually green, brown or a combination of the two, so they can blend into their background.

The pink insect owes its colour to a rare genetic mutation called erythrism - similar to albinism. (a congenital condition of abnormal redness in an animal's fur, plumage, or skin.)
source
edit on 4272020 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Wow that is really cool! As a kid running through the fields the grasshoppers would cling on with their little prickly legs and it would always freak me out a little.

I cant imagine what one of these guys crawling on you would feel like! So alien!

Another interesting looking one here in the US is the Rainbow Grasshopper. Not anywhere as interesting as the Lichen Grasshopper but still supercool looking.

Rainbow Grasshopper
edit on 27-4-2020 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I love your comical retelling of your bug bites. LOL

I had no idea that dragonflies bit people. They always seemed so harmless.

I never had any idea dragonflies bit people either until I got Eaten by one. I hope he enjoyed his meal as he flew away chewing on my flesh.

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

Wow a pink grasshopper! That is so pretty! Thanks for showing me!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join