It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coronavirus Fries!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2020 @ 08:08 PM
link   
So, okay, takeout is the order of the day, right? All your favorite restaurants have either shut down completely, or now they serve takeout, right?

So, here are some guidelines for takeout food...

Never, and I mean NEVER, order French Fries!! They won't make it home, even if you live two blocks from the takeout place! They just won't!

Order ANY other side, BUT French fries! Order potato salad, celery sticks...anything...BUT French fries!

Soggy French fries suck! Greasy, cold and soggy French fries suck even worse! Don't order them! In fact, actively tell your server you don't WANT them...you PROHIBIT them! They suck!

You can't warm them up in the microwave, you can't do anything with them...they just SUCK!!

Even if you live less than a mile from your takeout place, your French fries will suck.

Words of wisdom...if you get hot fries from Mc'Douches...stop in the parking lot and eat them!!!! Do not travel with fries!

Fries will not make it a single mile before they get NASTY! Don't do it!

In today's day and age of CV-19 takeout...DO NOT order fries!!

Just sayin'!!

edit on 4/25/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2020 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I only make or eat fries at home, straight out of the deep fryer, golden or slightly browned, crispy, salt pepper and NO condiments. The OC in me demands they be prepared that way.

This whole limp, soggy # is a crime against humanity.

And I LOVE me some fries. (And tater tots)

You can't warm them up in the microwave, you can't do anything with them...they just SUCK!!

You can *try* to heat them in the oven with a stone, but they do not come close. Why would anyone try to reheat fries in the microwave anyway? That's a fogging waiting to happen.
edit on 25-4-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2020 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Words of wisdom...if you get hot fries from Mc'Douches...stop in the parking lot and eat them!!!! Do not travel with fries!

Words of wisdom......if you get hot fries from McDouches...stop in the parking lot and ask yourself why you really care what you shovel into your face anyway.

posted on Apr, 25 2020 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

So then, we agree, right?

posted on Apr, 25 2020 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I worked in the service industry 10+ years.
My first job was a beef joint called Roma's.
I had my own hot dog stand on the NW side of Chicago for 4 years before selling. Even went to the prestigious Hot Dog University at the Vienna beef factory for some guidance.
From experience, the result you suffer from, typically comes from having fresh fries dumped into a closed paper bag. The steam accumulates and does a number on the fries quite quickly.
So when getting any fried item to go, in order to maintain some crispiness, leave the bag open a bit to release the steam. You won't lose too much heat off the food, but it will save it from being a sog fest.

posted on Apr, 25 2020 @ 08:25 PM
link   

So then, we agree, right?

Well, yeah. Lol.

And why I always eat Chick fil a fries on the way home as soon as I get them.

posted on Apr, 25 2020 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I only really like French fries when homemade, but the local wing stop has a garlic Parmesan stuff they use and that will make restaurant fries tolerable. And when you have leftovers, if you do it right, the garlic Parmesan leftovers make something sort of like those fancy, chef-y cheese crisp things you see chefs make if you put a layer on a baking sheet in the oven for a while.

posted on Apr, 25 2020 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I think Freedom fries taste much better than French fries.....

news.bbc.co.uk...
rationalwiki.org...
edit on 25-4-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I think Freedom fries taste much better than French fries.....

Matter of opinion ...

posted on Apr, 25 2020 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Ironic you'd put 7.62x39mm (Russian) rounds in that Mc'D's fry box!

LOL!

edit on 4/25/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2020 @ 10:28 PM
link   

And why I always eat Chick fil a fries on the way home as soon as I get them.

OMG, would love me some Chick fil a fries! Their waffle fries are bomb diggity!

posted on Apr, 25 2020 @ 10:35 PM
link   
And truthfully, the only fries really worth eating are those made from potatoes that are cut and fried right there, never frozen. So most restaurant fries are right out and need some kind of seasoning/flavoring agent to cover that frozen issue over.

But if you take the time to peel and cut 'em and fry 'em fresh ... yeah, those are some good fries.

posted on Apr, 25 2020 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I highly agree that fries do not taste good after sitting in the bag for over five minutes. I usually do not order fries at McDs or BK. Only in a sit down restaurant with a fish fry. I really like homemade french fries though, cooked in corn oil. And I do like onion rings in a restaurant some times.

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Beach fries, Boardwalk fries, two guys fries...
limp brown fries cooked with fresh potatoes in peanut oil.
easy to reheat in a toaster oven.
They're the only fries i order for takeout.
cheers

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Dry em, fry em and then dry them again.

Personally I fry them on a lower heat till they're cooked but uncolored, dry them and then fry them at a higher heat.

If fries ain't crispy then they're simply not fries.
edit on 26-4-2020 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Ironic you'd put 7.62x39mm (Russian) rounds in that Mc'D's fry box!

Hahahahahahaha. That would have been ironic. 300 BLK though.

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

Personally I fry them on a lower heat till they're cooked but uncolored, dry them and then fry them at a higher heat.

If fries ain't crispy then they're simply not fries.

That is one way and also the ONLY way to make real fries.

posted on Apr, 29 2020 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

Dry em, fry em and then dry them again.

I've never peeled and cut them myself, but this thread had me looking online.

Most recipes do recommend the double fry method like you mention, but most also say to soak them in water before the first fry, but I'm not sure why. Do you do that?

posted on Apr, 29 2020 @ 07:19 PM
link   

if you do it right, the garlic Parmesan leftovers make something sort of like those fancy, chef-y cheese crisp things you see chefs make if you put a layer on a baking sheet in the oven for a while.

That's why I love a pizza/baking stone, especially for reheats of bread, pizza or other breaded items that should be crispy.

posted on Apr, 29 2020 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I personally have never bothered but my mother always did, I can imagine it washes starches away. Technically they should need more cooking to darken them off.

NHS cleaning fries/chips

I did find this link about soaking potatoes before cooking and how it potentially lessens cancer risk. It warns that soaked potato takes longer to darken when fried so I can imagine overcooking can occur.

Also invest in a fries cutter! Homemade fries are usually a treat or part of a good meal for me because chopping fries by hand is tedious... I never cut enough 😭

new topics

top topics

join