It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buddhist beliefs of Death Process

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2020 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Buddhist believe in reincarnation. That the body goes through a death process that can last 2-3 days before rebirth. Enlightened beings are not reborn but enter Nirvana. However enlightened beings can be reborn as a messiah to help others escape suffering in life.

Buddhist believe in the winds associated with the four elements (earth, water, fire, air). That in a natural death, the four winds, leave the body in stages.

1. The first dissolution is the element of earth. Our body limbs start to deteriate very quickly.
2. The second dissolution is the element of water. We loose all feelings (smell, taste etc) from the body
3. The third dissolution is the element of fire. We loose energy that once sustained the body.
4. The fourth dissolution is the element of wind. Breathing stops
5. The fifth dissolution is when the white drop at the crown travels down the central channel to the heart centre. We may image a white sky.
6. The sixth dissolution is when the red drop at the navel travels up the central channel to the heart centre. We may image a red sky
7. The seventh dissolution is when both drops merge. All higher thought stops.
8. The eight dissolution is when our very subtle mind enters emptiness, the true nature of reality, which may manifest for 2-3 days.

For more detailed explanation see here

Depending on ones karma and circumstances of death (suicide for instance can bring great negativity), one can be reborn in lower animal realm, human form, or one of the greater realms. If we have a too much bad karma then we can be reborn in the preta (hungry ghost) realm until we can dissipate much of that karma.

In support of reincarnation are interesting stories. One of the better documented stories are of Shanti Devi that was investigated by a committee appointed by Mahatma Gandhi. At the age of four she began talking about her husband and her children. It was only much latter when a teacher at Shanti's high school tried to find the husband in question (she knew his full name was Pandit Kedarnath Chaube). All the things she had said about her previous life were substantiated.

Do you believe in reincarnation? If you only believe in heaven and hell, what does that actually mean to you? Could not, Hell be rebirth?

posted on Apr, 25 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Nothing has occurred and has already happened.

posted on Apr, 25 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I have always been interested in other religions and beliefs even if I do not practice them. I do have a question about reincarnation that you or another person might be able to answer. I am not trying to start an argument or offend anyone, I am just curious.

We have vivid memories of our current life. We remember things from our childhood, growing up, and what we had to eat today. But we do not have similar vivid memories of our past life’s. If we have been reincarnated in previous lives and will be reincarnated after this life, why do we remember things in this life so vividly?

posted on Apr, 25 2020 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Threeknocks

Short term memories from our previous life were destroyed when our brain died.

However, existing with us in our journey is the third eye or what is called ajna, the gateway to higher consciousness. The higher consciousness is our seat of conciousness. It also records every thought or thing we do. If we are reborn with certain chakra's open, we can access past memories, through the higher consciousness.

Imagine, if we didn't have the mindfulness to accept memories from 1000's of lives. It could certainly result in madness.

posted on Apr, 25 2020 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Threeknocks

Several possible reasons.

1. Finite processing ability. We forget things from this life all the time for whatever reason. A previous life is not very important compared to this life so is gotten rid of first.

2. Reincarnation is for instruction of the soul. The soul chooses the circumstances of birth to set up tests and learning moments for itself. To remember a previous life would be cheating. However, between lives the soul remembers all, measures it's progress, and sets up the next life.

3. Reincarnation isn't linear. One of your past lives could actually be in the future. If you remembered the future it would certainly muck things up.

3 possible answers. All could be right/wrong. Some could be. Could be something else.

The only true answer is no one knows what comes next. Hundreds of ideas on the planet, pick the one that makes you happy.

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: glend
In this video is an interesting discussion about reincarnation......I am hoping you will like it

Before wondering about the concept of reincarnation...... examine what 'incarnation' is first.

Are you 'in' a body?
Or does the body appear in you?
edit on 26-4-2020 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Buddhists do not believe in a permanent self or soul.

What Is is in constant change........there is no thing lasting not even for a second.

There is only now (what is) and it is in constant flux.

edit on 26-4-2020 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Buddhism does have an interesting puzzle regarding an afterlife, since it main objective is to get out of the Reincarnation cycle. As opposed to being sent to heaven for all eternity while maintaining the same individuality from their previous life.

It would be like a snake shedding it skin, each time it does, it might as well be reborn in a new body, all the while the soul, or the snake in my point, is still the same.

From what I understand of Buddhism, even Hindu, is that nothing peculiar of a previous life survives or transferred to a next one, even though their karma is said to be a deciding factor for wealth status to natural talent would be like.

Even if one were to become a Daeva in the next life, they are still very much part of the reincarnation, even though they are the highest form of life on their totem pole.

edit on 26-4-2020 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-4-2020 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Strictly speaking Buddhist don't believe in permanent atman as being the ultimate reality. Likewise our earthly bodies are not the ultimate reality at the quantum level neither. Where only energy waveforms exist. So Buddhist see the soul as an energy waveform rather than a thing.

When Dali Lama dies they will search for his reincarnated spirit.

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Buddhists don't believe in a permanent anything!

But you believe you are permanent.

What is you?

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 12:57 PM
link   

What makes you think I believe I am permanent? Re-incarnation is not something I see as pleasant. As buddhist we see it as a continuing suffering. Something to escape from.

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Who is going to reincarnate or suffer if you are not there?

posted on Apr, 26 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Impermancy does not deny existance. It implies that existance is transient, flowing from one form to another. (aka Nothing remains constant).

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: glend

Impermancy does not deny existance. It implies that existance is transient, flowing from one form to another. (aka Nothing remains constant).

Nothing is constant..... emptiness is forming.

So what is it that re enters flesh/meat (reincarnates)?

edit on 27-4-2020 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: glend

When Dali Lama dies they will search for his reincarnated spirit.

Where will they search?

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Emptiness does not form, Itisnowagain. Emptiness in buddhist terms is not nothingness. It means that everything is empty of seperate being. That all of existance is of one universal force.

In string theory its been suggested that we are just vibrations existing on a brane. That is of similar logic to emptiness.

What enters reincarnation are energies within the universal force that we name as our self. Using words to identify energies within the universal force does not deny the universal force.

Practising emptiness is useful in dissipating egoic attachments. Knowing that all things are impermanent. We can free our minds from them. Reducing our suffering.

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Did you like or not like the video glend?

edit on 28-4-2020 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   

No didn't, sorry. He is using zen like methods to convince minds of unattachment. But the concept of unattachment isn’t very practical for people living in western society. So strongly feel that unattachment has to be presented in a form that doesn't present dilemma's in peoples life's. Otherwise it just ends up being useless ideology. Of no real benefit to anyone.

If you read about Buddha, he studied many extreme philosophies, but was only able to reach enlightenment by travelling a middle way. By avoiding extremes of self denial and self indulgence. Buddha walked a path that was applicable to both realities.

So in practice, I am very thoughtful of material posessions. Do I really need ten pairs of shoes, Do I really need fastest computer, newest phone etc. Being moreso of a minimalist in one reality. So I can give more to the other reality. Likewise in video's, I prefer topics that are more pragmatic to walking a middle road. Rather than being too extreme in one or the other direction.

Thats not to say that video isn't of benefit to other minds.

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   
What he does is gets one to look directly at what is occuring..... to ones actual experience.

It appears that we saw a completely different video!!

I highly recommend having a read of Peter Browns website.
THE OPEN DOORWAY
www.theopendoorway.org...
edit on 28-4-2020 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

top topics

join