Buddhist believe in reincarnation. That the body goes through a death process that can last 2-3 days before rebirth. Enlightened beings are not
reborn but enter Nirvana. However enlightened beings can be reborn as a messiah to help others escape suffering in life.
Buddhist believe in the winds associated with the four elements (earth, water, fire, air). That in a natural death, the four winds, leave the body in
1. The first dissolution is the element of earth. Our body limbs start to deteriate very quickly.
2. The second dissolution is the element of water. We loose all feelings (smell, taste etc) from the body
3. The third dissolution is the element of fire. We loose energy that once sustained the body.
4. The fourth dissolution is the element of wind. Breathing stops
5. The fifth dissolution is when the white drop at the crown travels down the central channel to the heart centre. We may image a white sky.
6. The sixth dissolution is when the red drop at the navel travels up the central channel to the heart centre. We may image a red sky
7. The seventh dissolution is when both drops merge. All higher thought stops.
8. The eight dissolution is when our very subtle mind enters emptiness, the true nature of reality, which may manifest for 2-3 days.
For more detailed explanation see here
Depending on ones karma and circumstances of death (suicide for instance can bring great negativity), one can be reborn in lower animal realm, human
form, or one of the greater realms. If we have a too much bad karma then we can be reborn in the preta (hungry ghost) realm until we can dissipate
much of that karma.
In support of reincarnation are interesting stories. One of the better documented stories are of
that was investigated by a committee appointed by Mahatma Gandhi.
At the age of four she began talking about her husband and her children. It was only much latter when a teacher at Shanti's high school tried to
find the husband in question (she knew his full name was Pandit Kedarnath Chaube). All the things she had said about her previous life were
Do you believe in reincarnation? If you only believe in heaven and hell, what does that actually mean to you? Could not, Hell be rebirth?