It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Build Covid herd immunity in the summer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Here’s a thought....

Wouldn’t we want to work on building as much Covid herd immunity as possible over the summer months in the US?

I say that as, in theory, the virus doesn’t seem to like UV/sunlight, heat or humidity. People are also more active.

www.usnews.com...

Wouldn’t this lend to people getting milder cases, having a higher probably of beating the virus and thus building herd immunity? It seems to be common belief that the Covid won’t “go away” so people should still be getting/spreading it the summer.

If you look at the charts of the Spanish flu... no matter how or when they enacted social distancing most cities had come way way down off the curve by February... and the area with the strictest social distancing actually still experienced a peak because no herd immunity via social distancing:

www.nationalgeographic.com...

Virus hit early in the season and was going away as the seasons changed... and herd immunity was developed...

I say this as POTUS extends the federal social distancing policies indefinitely and the plans to reopen state economies are pretty small in scope and really don’t speak to being “open” with a lot of social interaction possibly into the summer. ...

Makes me consider that if the lockdowns continue into summer months it could be another way of demonstrating that this lock down is about control and they have no interest in us actually - in the near future - returning to an existence that’s similar to what we had previously. Or actually developing herd immunity...

Eigh?
edit on 24-4-2020 by EnigmaChaser because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaChaser

That phrase "herd immunity" really reflects what TPTB think of us. There's no reason why they couldn't have gone with something like "group immunity".

I think the whole group immunity goal might be wishful thinking. I am not at all convinced there is any long-lasting immunity developed to this thing, nor that it can't reside within people in a latent state like herpesvirus. I'm also concerned about some sequelae seen in some people who had otherwise mild cases.

This strategy is based on assumptions that are in no way guaranteed at this point.
edit on 24-4-2020 by drussell41 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: drussell41

The term herd immunity isn't new. It has been around for decades.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 03:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: RexKramerPRT

The term herd immunity isn't new. It has been around for decades.

I know. Doesn't mean I still don't hate it.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 05:09 AM
link   

It’s Sweden’s strategy. I think cities that monitor hospitalizations to keep from overwhelming the hospitals should switch over to Sweden’s strategy,

Sweden resisted a lockdown, and its capital Stockholm is expected to reach 'herd immunity' in weeks

www.cnbc.com...

new topics

top topics

join