It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everyone yelling make the Government smaller needs to get rid of Democracy!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Quit double speaking on other countries who have smaller government are fascists/dictatorships.The government will never get smaller so as long democracy is around. Why is that?

Think about it. Use your fking brain. Democracy only works when the Government is bigger so the people in government will fight over who gets voted in as the next leader just like today. Oh no one to promote you in the Government as next leader? Hire more people in your party group to have any chances to be advertised. There are currently no independent parties alive anymore. If you don't have the man power you'll never be have any chances to be promoted or advertised to be voted into office.

+15 more 
posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

We don't have a Democracy in America.

We have a Republic.

If we did, it still wouldn't be dependent on the size of the Federal government.

You are a part of the problem.

edit on 23-4-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Democracy only works

Living under the illusion of democracy is no indication as to whether actual democracy works

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 01:58 PM
link   
What she said..^ bravo Lum

You are confused by what smaller government means. It doesn’t mean lose senators. In our “Constitutional Republic”...
edit on 23-4-2020 by TexasTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap

Everyone yelling make the government smaller needs to get rid of politics!

"Belief" is all we need. Like religion, politics is just there so someone can tell you and others what to do and make money from it.

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 02:01 PM
link   

The US isn't a Democracy, we're a Constitutional Republic... which means the government is supposed to be small.

The Constitution was literally written the way it was to prevent the tyranny of the majority inherent in democracies from destroying the country. It is incredibly short sighted and naive to celebrated direct democracy and criticize the nature of a Constitutional republic... if the US was a full democracy, we would have continued slavery for decades beyond when it was ended, the civil rights era would never have happened, women wouldn't have a vote, and the US would have annihilated the entire Middle East immediately following 9/11. When you govern entirely within the confines of the Constitution, you avoid the pitfalls of sudden decisions made on emotion and, honestly, you require a much, much smaller government.

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 02:20 PM
link   
When I hear "make government smaller", what I really hear is "consolidate power". If you think an expanded government is dangerous, then lookout for what comes when the power is consolidated to a few. Checks and balances? Who needs that crap, amirite?

I'm all for cutting government spending; I'm even down for a reduction in federal employees. What I am not down for is having the power of a few hundred elected officials pared down to what; 10? 30? 1? Hard pass on that.

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I like to think of myself as a libertarian, I'm all for less government control (smaller government) and more for freedoms and protection from the state and feds. Guess I'm not using my F'n brain

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: WeDemBoyz

Well most politicians like to create new government jobs they like to call " task forces " but all its about is stealing our money really. It is serious wasteful spending.

That's what most of us that want smaller government are bitching about.

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Smaller government doesn't mean smaller in size. Smaller government means less wasteful government spending and less government control and regulations.

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 03:01 PM
link   
You are wrong!

I mean, kind of wrong. But kind of right, too.

Winston Churchill said:

‘Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…’

You see, there is a missing ingredient. And to quote what I am about to quote may, in short order, be considered a crime against the state. I half-way expect a midnight knock on my door oneday, anyway.

And what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure. Our Convention has been too much impressed by the insurrection of Massachusets: and in the spur of the moment they are setting up a kite to keep the hen yard in order. I hope in god this article will be rectified before the new constitution is accepted.
~Thomas Jefferson in a letter to William Stephens Smith dated 1787

Benjamin Franklin purportedly said, in response to a group of people who asked him what form of government the convention had established:

A republic, if you can keep it.

See, that's the trouble. It's not that democracy is bad or doesn't work. It's that most people are stupid, lazy and apathetic at their core and seek out a false sense of security and stability over true liberty.

The problem is not in the form of government, but in the people.

Case in point: It has often been said that the best form of government would be a completely benevolent and wise dictatorship. That is likely true ... if there were anybody who could be completely benevolent and wise. But show me that man.
:
edit on 2020 4 23 by incoserv because: typo.

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

We have a Republic.

If we did, it still wouldn't be dependent on the size of the Federal government.

We have a Republic that chose 'Democracy' as how it was going to be run.
"Republic" and "Democracy" and intrinsically intertwined in the USA.
To say otherwise is merely partisan whitewash designed to remove the power from the real people of this country and open the doors to corruption. Taking power away from the people is part of the problem. It's landed us straight in the middle of a corporatocracy. Which shouldn't be much of a surprise when money holds more power than people.

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian

originally posted by: Lumenari

We have a Republic.

We have a Republic that chose 'Democracy' as how it was going to be run.
"Republic" and "Democracy" and intrinsically intertwined in the USA.
To say otherwise is merely partisan whitewash designed to remove the power from the real people of this country and open the doors to corruption. Taking power away from the people is part of the problem. It's landed us straight in the middle of a corporatocracy. Which shouldn't be much of a surprise when money holds more power than people.

Uh ... I think that that is referred to as ... DRUMROLL, PLEASE! ...

A DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC!!!!!!! (of the CONSTITUTIONAL variety)

And, it's INCOSERV for the win!!!!

Thank you thank you ...

It has become otherwise because people are stupid, lazy, greedy and apathetic.
:
edit on 2020 4 23 by incoserv because: clarification.

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Quit double speaking on other countries who have smaller government are fascists/dictatorships.The government will never get smaller so as long democracy is around. Why is that?

Think about it. Use your fking brain. Democracy only works when the Government is bigger so the people in government will fight over who gets voted in as the next leader just like today. Oh no one to promote you in the Government as next leader? Hire more people in your party group to have any chances to be advertised. There are currently no independent parties alive anymore. If you don't have the man power you'll never be have any chances to be promoted or advertised to be voted into office.

I see you failed every civics and government class you ever had.

Bravo

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   
There is no such thing as small government in the 21st Century. As some folks here have pointed out, smaller government = less rules and regulations. If you have a small government in this day and age, corporations will become the government, and that is exactly what has progressively been happening in america for the past 70 years. Our lack of regulations has allowed a significant few to amass ridiculous amounts of wealth which they have used to buy off damn near every politician in the country. And they use that political control to put more regulations on us and fewer on them. Oh, and they own every news channel and produce almost all the media we consume.

Hey, at least in 2016 we finally cut out the middle man and put Mr. Corporate Businessman himself in the White House.

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry

I see you failed every civics and government class you ever had.

Bravo

If the OP is less than 45 or 50 years old, they probably never even had a civics and government class. The system decided many moons ago that educated and informed people were dangerous.

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I have no problem with democratic elections. What we have is a problem with politicians who violate their oath of office. Back in in the day when politicians violated their oath it was called treason. Today there are no consequences for treason. Every politician & law enforcement officer pledges an oath to uphold/defend our constitution & protect us against enemies, both foreign and domestic but leftist politicians ignore their oath without any consequences for their treasonous actions. The punishment for treason is 20 years in prison. When politicians call for laws/regulations/bans on guns, they're committing treason. When politicians promote abortion, they're committing treason. When politicians restrict freedom of movement, they're committing treason. When politicians restrict people's right to assemble, they're committing treason. When politicians restrict ones right to practice their religion, they're committing treason. Law enforcement also pleges an oath to uphold/defend the U.S. constitution, as well as, protect us against enemies both foreign & domestic. When law enforcement doesn't arrest politicians for treason, law enforcement is also guilty of treason.

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap Use your fking brain. This isn't a democracy, and you don't seem to understand what smaller government even means. Try again.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   

How about just reducing the number of high paid executives. Public officials shouldn't get paid like corporate CEOs. Bring in a pay cap. Public officials should be middle management and nothing more.

How about also getting rid of duplication. Cities with three different departments dealing with sanitation.

posted on Apr, 24 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   

How would having a smaller government get rid of democracy? Most of the laws should be left up to the people of the states and the states should be able to create and vote for their own laws as long as it follows the constitution. The federal gov can consist of the military and very few other things. The federal government has been a boon since the 1800's.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join