It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cuomo commits to reopening New York state regionally

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Cuomo commits to reopening New York state regionally

After a growing number of elected officials and business advocates have promoted the idea of regional reopening New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has committed to it.

New York will reopen at a different rate in different regions of the state, Gov. Andrew Cuomo confirmed Tuesday morning.

“We’re going to make reopening decisions on a regional basis based on that region’s facts and circumstances,” he said during his daily briefing. The briefing was held in Buffalo, his first time venturing west of Schenectady since the pandemic began.

Cuomo aknowlage that other regions in his state do not have the same problems faced by New Your City and that it would be improper to keep them shut down because of the city.

“Just like some states will reopen before other states because they have a different circumstance when it comes to Covid and their status with Covid, it’s also true across the state,” Cuomo said. “[The] North Country has a totally different situation than New York City. Central New York has a different situation. We operate as one state but we also have to understand variations, and you do want to get this economy open as soon as possible.”

This commitment comes on the same day Cuomo and Trump meet in person to discuss the needs of New York state.

The meeting apparently went well despite the fact that news media have created the narrative that the two men where greatly at odds with each other.

link

President Donald Trump and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo made nice after an Oval Office meeting Tuesday, pledging to work together on the issue that has divided the White House and many of the nation's governors: More coronavirus testing.

Cuomo called the meeting "functional and effective," while Trump described it as a "very productive" session in which he and the governor signed off on a plan to double testing in New York over the next few weeks.

The governor described the president as "inquisitive" about New York's timeline for reopening but said Trump did not attempt to impose a deadline for that milestone. 

“He never editorialized on what he thought was an appropriate timeline,” Cuomo told MSNBC.

Trump and Cuomo also said they discussed the prospects of aid for New York in a future federal stimulus package. Cuomo told MSNBC that a Navy hospital ship sent to New York City to help fight the coronavirus is no longer needed, "so if they need to deploy that somewhere else, they should take it.”

Along with no longer needing the Navy Hospital Ship; Cuomo stated that outpatient elective surgery could be the first thing to reopen.

“We're going to allow elective outpatient treatment, which means the number of beds remain available because the number of people are using those beds is still relatively minimal,” he said. “And we're going to allow it in those hospitals and counties in the state that do not have a Covid issue.”

Are things starting to look up for the state of New York?

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I heard that his "snitch line" was inundated with penis photos, nazi memes, and New Yorkers with extended middle fingers...

I wonder if he got the message?

Maybe he did...

edit on 21-4-2020 by madmac5150 because: Staten Island Chuck, lives on...

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
I heard that his "snitch line" was inundated with penis photos, nazi memes, and New Yorkers with extended middle fingers...

Maybe he did...
That was our beloved idiot Mayor’s line. Not Cuomo

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: SixDemonBag

Maybe he did...

My bad...

...but, to be fair... they do share the same brain.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Maybe he did...

My bad...

They really don’t. They couldn’t have more antipathy towards each other if they tried.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The stress almost cracked Coumo....well, it did for a while...but he seems to be doing better now. He has gained his rationality back and isn't listening to all the fearmongering people he used to while the state was in turmoil.

Hey, he got brainwashed by some of the far left progressives, it was only temporary insanity though. Hopefully he is stronger from the experience.
edit on 21-4-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Maybe he did...

My bad...

They really don’t. They couldn’t have more antipathy towards each other if they tried.

So... they are just like Bill and Hillary.

Got it.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Good.

People are going to be infected, period. And sadly, some may succumb. Thatll happen with or without a lockdown, in the very short term.

In the long term, familiarizing our immune systems in the broader population will tend to reduce impact.

So, on the medical side, it becomes all about balancing a medical system (that we should really look at..) and practicing social measures (ideally all voluntary, or incentivized, rather than punished).

When we bring the economics into it.. things tilt even further in favor of "not crashing everything." Take precautions, certainly, especially in high risk demographics (like my own), but there are plenty of small businesses that are deemed "non-essential," yet have little to no actual risk with regards to the virus.

In that respect, deeming anything "non-essential" seems assbackwards if it is a business that either has limited or no risk of transmission. If anything, that should be the determining factor rather than seemingly arbitrary rules that appear to favor massive corporations.

We will see if he follows through.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Content removed by author

Respectfully,
~meathead
edit on 21-4-2020 by Mike Stivic because: Second thought

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 10:45 PM
link   
This is a logical reaction to this situation. Everyplace is different. It varies greatly even within 30 miles in each state. It's time to address this on a regional basis. If we did that, the vast majority of the country could be slow rolling out reopenings this weekend, even though major metro hubs would still be under a few weeks(month?) of lockdown.

I really don't get why this has escaped some of the state leaders for so long. I don't know of a single state that doesn't very greatly from one end to the other with regard to population density.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Like to see how that works out for you. Elective surgeries. You know what I'm thinking from here......... died from the....

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat
The "Reopening" is just the beginning of the second wave.

The "Stay at Home" order are wrongly understood like a solution, it just slows down the spreading but not stopping it.

The vaccine is a very slow Trojan Horse. Part of the agenda and a panic deterrent.

I think we all should be prepared for an intentional long period of time with back and forward decisions until the true reveals itself.

Nope, nothing will be back to normal ever again. Time to deal with that.

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Horrible Governor: New York Governor Cuomo has ordered Covid-19 patients transferred to NURSING HOMES, of all places! After arriving, the nursing homes turned into Covid-19 "hotbeds" of death.

Gov. Cuomo doubled down Sunday on the state’s controversial directive ordering nursing homes to admit COVID-19 patients.

The governor — who himself has described nursing homes as a “feeding frenzy’’ for the deadly coronavirus — said that the facilities can’t challenge a state regulation forcing them to admit patients with the contagion.
nypost.com...

Meanwhile the newly constructed Javis Center, and the USNS Navy ship Comfort, sit mostly empty.

top topics

join