It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Poll: 7 in 10 In U.S. Worried About Government Secrecy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
According to a recent poll more than 2/3 of all Americans are concerned about government secrecy. More than 50 percent felt that government should open up its records as well. There is a bipartisan bill now in the U.S. Senate which looks to reassess the Freedom Of Information act to help address open-government complaints.

news.yahoo.com
Americans feel strongly that good government depends on openness with the public, with seven out of 10 people concerned about government secrecy, a new poll says.

The poll, conducted by Ipsos-Public Affairs for Sunshine Week, a coalition of media organizations and other groups pressing for government access, found that more than half of Americans believe government should provide more access to its records.

Even more — 70 percent — are either "somewhat concerned" or "very concerned" about government secrecy. Nearly as many felt access to public records was "crucial" to good government.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think that in the interests of national security, some secrets need to be kept. I had this history professor once who used to work as an analyst with the CIA. While he would not talk about anything he did there, one of the things he did discuss was classification. He said often pictures and the like were classified not because of what the contained, but to protect the source.

[edit on 12-3-2005 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Something needs to be done. I once wrote the State Depment, under Freedom of Information Act (FOI), for the list of Foreign Nationals working within our government. After 2 weeks they wrote back asking for a time extension. I granted it to them and reminded them that according to the law it should be easy to find. They are required to keep it next to the main entrance and to the right.

Unfortunately, I never paid attention to the time extension. It had no specific time frame. It's now been more than 9 years and I'm still waiting. And after reminding them where to find their own documents, still nothing.

By the way, the law says this is a public document required to be kept by the State Dept. And I still can't get government cooperation.

In the government's defense, I've use FOI several times to get copies of my IRS records and have always gotten prompt response.

I can understand wanting to keep certain CIA, FBI, DOD documents out of our reach. Unfortunately, the government is keeping many unclassified documents out of hands even when we already have FOI.

There is interesting story from Eustace Mullins (Book is named "A Writt for Matryrs"). 50 years old never arrested, served 3 years in the military, and in the 1980's decided to use FOI to get a copy of his FBI record (perfectly legal and acceptable under FOI). The FBI wrote back and said it consisted of 800 pages, but they could only release 500 pages (the government is allowed to charge for copying cost of excessively large files). The other 300 pages was going to be withheld because of "National Security". It took him 2 years to get the first 500 pages released. 50 pages were totally blacked out and another 250 pages only had a few legible sentences that were not blacked out.

It is a total sham that our government hides behind "classified" for way too many documents that have no secrecy value. In a government For the People, By the People, they are trying to hold too many secrets from their bosses - the People.

Hey, FredT, good to see your spelling has improved. I was having problems trying to understand some of your previous posts because of all the spelling mistakes. Keep up the good work and research!

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Well, these secrets are kept in the best interest of national security. If the people really knew what was being kept from them, they would tear the nation apart.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frith
Well, these secrets are kept in the best interest of national security. If the people really knew what was being kept from them, they would tear the nation apart.

I dont think so. The government is doing a good enough job of tearing the nation apart without needing our help. I dont think anything bad could come of releasing certain secrets such as UFO's and stuff. Sure there would be your occasional wacko on TV trying to contact aliens but things wouldnt get any worse.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frith

I'm sorry to disagree with you, but as long as there was no secret ingredient in beer, Americans would do nothing. Even in the great American Revolution, only 10% of the people were in favor of change. And that is after heavy taxation of 10%, a british army overwhelming the people and forcing the King's will upon them.

The People of USA have been divided so many times by our government that the People will no longer stand united for any cause. And the government knows it.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   
It wont work. The open up all the Goverment records to public scrutiny over here in the UK in a similar freedom bill.

In the six months before the bill became legal the goverment was reported to be shredding and burning millions of documents and moving millions more.

So any freedom of information act won't work because any goverment with a half-a-brain will legally remove anything they dont want Joe public to see long before the act is enforced.i

[edit on 13-3-2005 by rustiswordz]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 03:01 AM
link   
That is interesting, after Roswell, JFK assasination, numerous alien sightings, and 9/11 and everything else out there, 3 our 10 people aren't worried about Government Secrecy.

Surf

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by rustiswordz
It wont work. The open up all the Goverment records to public scrutiny over here in the UK in a similar freedom bill.

You are correct to a certain degree. Our government has over 10,000 pages each day that it classifies secret. They have so many documents interrelated that they lose track. They have already unclassified documents that have come to haunt them. One that comes to mind is about Operation Zapata and its connections to George H Bush, and an FBI memo dated Nov29, 1963, that George Bush of the CIA was briefed of Kennedy's death and its reaction on Cuban exiles.

They've buried so much that they can't remember what they've buried and where.

Of course you are correct and we could see one massive fire consuming most of Washington DC.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by CmptrN3rd5
I dont think so. The government is doing a good enough job of tearing the nation apart without needing our help. I dont think anything bad could come of releasing certain secrets such as UFO's and stuff. Sure there would be your occasional wacko on TV trying to contact aliens but things wouldnt get any worse.

Alright. Suppose the UFO secret does come out and that one of the things admitted is that the government required illegal money gathering schemes to keep the money off record books to hide the subject. Illegal schemes like illicit drug sales which has caused tons of ruin to the country from the crime it has spawned. Or what about possible murders done to keep these secrets? The public would be so outraged that any previous riots the country has had would be nothing in comparison. Civil war and a land mass totally under the rule of anarchy would soon follow, IMO.

Part of the problem of these secrets is how they are kept. The bigger the secret, the more costly and hard it will be to hide it. I can't imagine any giant secret being kept without requiring massive fraud and other criminality involved.

[edit on 13-3-2005 by Frith]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Wow, it good to know that we are not the only ones worried

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Though I feel there is a lot of secrecy, I also feel the US Gov can't, through FOIA, say the things people want and really should know - due in part to telling all enemies by telling all Americans.

Dallas

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
The government get-out clause is that old favourite of classification. Anything that might cause problems or draw awkward questions will be classified as secret. Hell, if it's really bad they can shove it away for 100 years

new topics

top topics

join