It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery object lights up Northwest sky.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Interesting short article, but what I noticed was a mention that may be of conversation to some here:

"I've never seen anything like that," Jensen said, adding that the object appeared to be moving slowly compared to a typical meteor, or "shooting star."

Mystery object lights up Northwest sky

Thoughts?

seekerof

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
The article doesnt seem to support it being anything weird. It could have been just a small meterite or something that hit earth. I bet its some top secret project the US was doing that went wrong. It could be possible it has something to do with a missile defense system.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Meteorite, nothing more. When you hear of something like this, with a clearly defined tail, and no controlled descent, chances are 999 out of 1000 times it'll be a Meteor coming through the atmosphere. Just my thoughts.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Note that media outlets only report on UFO sightings of objects that can be fairly easily debunked as meteors or other natural phenomena. If you look at the sightings on NUFORC.org, there are several posted monthly where multiple people see objects that are not simply fireballs or other objects that can be passed off as natural.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
the sunday oregonian reports big green fireball
and earthquake at same time near Olympia, WA.,
calls them unconnected, but sounds fishy to me.

witness' said looked like the fireball hit the earth.
report also said the frieball traveled south to north
AND east to west. does that sound like it turned?

anyways, i think the timing and circumstances are
odd and hope some more info comes fwd about it.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
"the object appeared to be moving slowly compared to a typical meteor"
That quote there says to me its not a meteor/meteorite, they fall fast period. Interesting, could this be a Roswell of our times? Also of note, i was on another board where a member reported seeing roughly the same thing, but this time over california last night, of which another member confirmed the sighting.

[edit on 13-3-2005 by picard_is_actually_a_grey]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
The seed packages are arriving -

Reference to David Gerrold's "War Against The Chtorr" wherein "seed packages arrive from another star system and land all over the earth. The first noticable effect of them is the wave of plague that kills off a substantial portion of biological life.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Why havent we heard from NORAD saying they tracked it and it was indeed a meteor?

Train

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Earthquake, poweroutages and a meteor all around the same area... hmmm... thats pretty interesting. I am watching the news to find out more... keep ya posted.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Ya, it did sound interesting that there was an earthquake just 10 minutes BEFORE the meteor passed through the atmosphere. It didn't happen after, so that tells me that they are unrelated. It passed off towards the west, and went over the horizon, probably landing in the ocean. Oh, and if it was high enough, people all down the west coast could have seen it.

As for it being slower than most, that's not too unreasonable if you consider the possibility that it could have actually been space junk. If it was trapped in Earth's orbit, it wouldn't be moving nearly as fast as it would be if it just came into our path.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
Ya, it did sound interesting that there was an earthquake just 10 minutes BEFORE the meteor passed through the atmosphere. It didn't happen after, so that tells me that they are unrelated. It passed off towards the west, and went over the horizon, probably landing in the ocean. Oh, and if it was high enough, people all down the west coast could have seen it.

As for it being slower than most, that's not too unreasonable if you consider the possibility that it could have actually been space junk. If it was trapped in Earth's orbit, it wouldn't be moving nearly as fast as it would be if it just came into our path.

Wrong on two counts, things burn up in the atmosphere for a reason, ie their traveling fast, let me tell you nothing in space is slow (even 'space junk' travels around 25,000 mph). Also meteors/meteorites extinguish at around 50,000ft due to atmospheric drag, something which contradicts eyewitness's which say they saw 'fireball' hit the ground, so yet another reason to say its not a meteor.
Oh yeah and if your lucky, a really big meteor might be seen by say an area roughly half of california (250,000sq km), so no you wouldnt see a meteor all along the west coast.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
i got a pic of it from someone, not the best quality but its a start:

(source: www.1stmarinedivision.com forums)

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Without a picture or video its a bit difficult to analyse the possibilities from the article alone. Though the witness does mention the slow speed of the object which is something different as compared to a decending metiorite.

Dallas

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Experts you know they are called Scientists; say it was a meteor

Scientists said the fireball was probably a meteor, and that it likely disintegrated just before any fragments fell into the Pacific Ocean.

Summer Jensen of Portland said she was sitting in her living room with her father when she saw the flash of light outside and rushed to see what it was.

"It was like a big ball of fire," and "behind it was a trail of blue," she said.

Source

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
My guess is they saw the International Space Station going overhead. I was actually attending a "Star Party" that night and the ISS passed overhead. It was quite bright and moving at a speed less than a meteor, but very fast, then it all the sudden dissapeared. It could have easily been mistaken for a UFO if you didn't know what it was.

This took place during sunset so the panels of the ISS were lit up very bright, when it entered the shadow of the earth it suddenly dropped in brightness since the sun was no longer lighting it up. Also take into accould Mt. St. Helens has been quite active lately and had a substantial "Burp" on Thursday, so there have been quite a few earthquakes around here lately.

Nothing in this instance, but the ISS
and coinciedence

[edit on 13-3-2005 by 750Aero]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by picard_is_actually_a_grey

Originally posted by TheBorg

Wrong on two counts, things burn up in the atmosphere for a reason, ie their traveling fast, let me tell you nothing in space is slow (even 'space junk' travels around 25,000 mph). Also meteors/meteorites extinguish at around 50,000ft due to atmospheric drag, something which contradicts eyewitness's which say they saw 'fireball' hit the ground, so yet another reason to say its not a meteor.
Oh yeah and if your lucky, a really big meteor might be seen by say an area roughly half of california (250,000sq km), so no you wouldnt see a meteor all along the west coast.

First off, let me ask you; where exactly did I say that things in space moved slowly? I was making the point that things trapped in Earth's orbit will be moving more slowly than objects passing by Earth's orbit. Don't misinterpret what I say please.

Secondly, I don't know if you recall the meteor that was filmed by several hundred people back in the 90's or not, but it was filmed over it's descent into a Chicago suburb I believe, where it crashed into a car. It was caught on film by people from 3 different states as it came in. Also, the Space Shuttle can be seen over several states as it passes through the atmosphere as well (when it's flying, of course). Granted, you're going to say now that that's because it's on a controlled descent, but that really has nothing to do with it. Think of the moon. From anywhere in the world, everyone can see the moon. Yes it's way up there, but it's still visible. Now, as a meteor enters the upper atmosphere, it will cause friction, which causes it to begin to fall apart. Depending on how high up that is, there is a greater chance that more people will see it.

As for the eyewitness accounts, all they said they saw was it pass over the horizon. If I had seen it crash into the ground, I'd be out there getting it. Meteorites go for a pretty penny nowadays.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
None of that addresses my issue with it being a meteor:
1) eyewitnesses said it travelled slower than typical, theres no two ways about it, if somethings burning up in the atmosphere it'l be real fast. A literal whizz across the sky.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I've seen something like that in NYC a couple years ago. It was very bright and was only going down @ 3 mph, then stoppped and rocketed forward. Yes, I did have a nosebleed.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Well, since I live in Oregon I just saw the footage of the "meteor" as they claimed it to be on Fox News. The footage showed a teenaged boy pointing at the "meteor" while it slowly moves. It moves from right to left extremly slow. There is a pole in the middle, not dead center, but you can use it to as a "reference" point. The camera zooms in and out and is fairly steady. The intresting point that I have to make is I have seen a meteor/meterorite in the atmosphere/sky, and this did not look like a "normal" one. It wasn't up in the sky it was more level as in horizontal v. vertical when you look at it. Anyways, going back to the footage the "meteor" moves very slowly to the left towards the pole. It then appears to stop a bit or appear to be slowing down, but no longer moving left. It was more of a spherical shape with a slight 'Tail', that isn't that noticable. I could not find the footage as it just aired and unable to locate it at this time. I will check the website in the morning.

-Dagger

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by picard_is_actually_a_grey
None of that addresses my issue with it being a meteor:
1) eyewitnesses said it travelled slower than typical, theres no two ways about it, if somethings burning up in the atmosphere it'l be real fast. A literal whizz across the sky.

But if it wasn't a burning fireball, what else could it have been? No UFO looks like a big green fireball. These things are common occurrances. I just find it amazing that this one makes everyone so edgy. It's nothing new.

Dagger:

You said that the camera was moving some; zooming in and out and moving around. Could the slowing in motion have been due to the camera moving perhaps?

And yet again, it depends on how high up it was as to how it'll look. Depending on what it's made of and how fast it's moving, not to mention what angle it comes into the atmosphere at, it could look like just about anything. Doesn't mean it's aliens sending a return probe from Titan.

[edit on 15-3-2005 by TheBorg]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join