It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coronavirus - Risking "biblical" famine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 05:43 PM
link   
As I and a few others on here have been suggesting for weeks, the lockdown measures currently in place are likely to cause more death than the virus ever could.

Now we are starting to hear the MSM prepare us for such a scenario.

The head of the World Food Programme estimates an extra 115 million people will now go hungry as a result of the economic impact.

Do those of you out there still supporting lockdown even care?

www.bbc.co.uk...

Addressing the UN Security Council during a video conference, Mr Beasley said the world had to "act wisely and act fast".

"We could be facing multiple famines of biblical proportions within a short few months," he said. "The truth is we do not have time on our side."

In a call to action, he added: "I do believe that with our expertise and our partnerships, we can bring together the teams and the programmes necessary to make certain the Covid-19 pandemic does not become a human and food crisis catastrophe."

It's time to wake up.
edit on 21/4/20 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Grenade

...If only there were some way for those folks to feed themselves, perhaps something like a paying job in a booming economy they could have continued performing instead of government interference and fear mongering stealing that from them.

Anyone in my city and state who is hungry, I encourage them to harvest and consume the governor and this city's mayor, as they're to blame for a good deal of the local suffering. I certainly wouldn't interfere in anyone's attempts to do that, either.
edit on 21-4-2020 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Amen to that.

I’m starting to think this is the real agenda. Destroy first world economy so they can justify reducing aid to the third world.

It’s really quite clever, killing the impoverished in the name of saving the rich.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Grenade

...If only there were some way for those folks to feed themselves, perhaps something like a paying job in a booming economy they could have continued performing instead of government interference and fear mongering stealing that from them.

Anyone in my city and state who is hungry, I encourage them to harvest and consume the governor and this city's mayor, as they're to blame for a good deal of the local suffering. I certainly wouldn't interfere in anyone's attempts to do that, either.

Fabulous idea!
You can be sure there's plenty of pork in them thar politishuns.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I saw some videos today of Nigerians fighting over rice. Truly a sad scenario. The effects are far reaching and many will suffer. I hate that that type of stuff happens. Don't know if it's true but I heard rice isn't being sold as freely. And who ever thought there would be miles long lines of people in the US waiting to receive food from food banks.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Time to add another 50kg to my strategic rice & pasta supply depot

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   
starr....your post has Bill Gates name all over it...I see him as smiling if he read your post

originally posted by: Grenade

Amen to that.

I’m starting to think this is the real agenda. Destroy first world economy so they can justify reducing aid to the third world.

It’s really quite clever, killing the impoverished in the name of saving the rich.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Amen to that.

Not going to be much of the third world left after this I fear.

And the first world is moving toward being the new third world?

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I just looked at the department of agriculture site and the organic site.

Here is America it will not be too bad, it may take a year for rice to be back on the shelves in any quantity, the DOA stopped exports of rice from what I can see. So we will have some, but be conservative with it.

Wheat exports were lowered, China cancelled a contract on wheat because of it's slump there, but Europe needed more so we are sending most of that there. We still will have enough.

Organic flour will be harder to come by up till the fall harvest though, and it may not be plentiful after that, it will probably go up in price somewhat.

Corn for feed is not a problem, neither is soy. The reserves are supposed to be good and crop outlook is looking good if we get things up and running. But beef could go up in price in a month or so, It all depends on how long this virus depresses the processing plants I suppose. Pork carcuses are in good shape, with plenty to export and for us. But again, we have a problem with sickness in slaughter houses.

Sugar is plentiful, I did not realize they had sugar cane in Mexico and we buy a lot from there. So flour and sugar are fine, so is butter, we can live off of cookies.

Rye flour is very low, but there will be a harvest in the fall. I do not know why rye is low, the articles did not say.

The staples will go up in price, flour will rise, and so will rice. Milk should stay flat and be ok. Eggs will be high priced probably all summer but available in limited quantities at the stores. Butter will be going up in price, it is in it's low cost time right now, every year it seems to be low around easter and around Christmas. But it should be going up in price again, just like it usually does, not much butter goes on sale during that time.

Now there is problems with a virus in turkeys someplace, hopefully that avian flu virus does not spread, a lot of turkeys had to be killed. That virus can go in Chickens and other birds too. Not too good of a thing to happen at this time.

Our country is lucky that someone was monitoring agriculture and did some adjusting so we would not be low. We are now shipping more wheat to europe too, so they can make bread, cakes, cookies, doughnuts, and pasties. That is good.

I am impressed with how this is falling into place during this pandemic. The DOA and USDA are on the ball.

I do not know if I got that all right, because I did it from memory.

edit on 21-4-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

i'm really glad someone on this site is still being rational and looking up sources instead of pitching a blind panic all over the forum. thank you.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Thanks for that detailed analysis, well-written and informative. Here in Vermont dairy farmers were dumping out milk about 10 days ago due to supply glut. I hope we don't have to keep seeing stuff like that happen..

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to: rickymouse

The price of beef has already gone up significantly since this started, and with these processing plants being shuttered, and harvests being lower, due to lower numbers of processors available, it will go up even more.

I work in food distribution and right now, prices are going up daily on some items, and some are out of stock until mid May... which may as well be an eternity to my butcher shops.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Thanks for that detailed analysis, well-written and informative. Here in Vermont dairy farmers were dumping out milk about 10 days ago due to supply glut. I hope we don't have to keep seeing stuff like that happen..

If they do not get some help from the government, the farmers will have to get rid of some cows, those cows usually wind up as hamburger with low fat content in stores. like 90 percent lean burger. Older milking cows have good tasting burger, but the steaks and roasts are tough. Hopefully they get enough stimulus for the dairy farmers, they have to keep feeding and milking those cows so they do not dry up. They eat a hell of a lot of food too.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   
It's the UN making a drive for more money , most likely.
Probably not oil for food , huh ?
The numbers follow the trajectory that has been around for many years now.

edit on 4/21/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: daryllyn
reply to: rickymouse

The price of beef has already gone up significantly since this started, and with these processing plants being shuttered, and harvests being lower, due to lower numbers of processors available, it will go up even more.

I work in food distribution and right now, prices are going up daily on some items, and some are out of stock until mid May... which may as well be an eternity to my butcher shops.

Yeah, once the microbreweries get back on line, the prices might go down again. But there are no bars open here and the restaurants also served alcohol, so they cut production of the beer, but still have the overhead at the breweries. Some workers probably got laid off, but they have to keep the plant running even at half production, which means that all the costs of the business need to be tacked onto the cost of the product that is sold. Higher prices are inevitable.

Here Gas is still a dollar eighty a gallon, but the gas stations cannot lower it because of not much sales of fuel. They have to pay their bills and workers with only a quarter of the gas sales. I know one station owner and he feels a little guilty, but there is nothing he can do. He cannot pay the bills if he uses the same formula as before. All gas stations here are about the same price. If they sold more gas, they could lower the price by fifty cents a gallon.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

Amen to that.

Not going to be much of the third world left after this I fear.

And the first world is moving toward being the new third world?

Sad, but I posted that about 2 weeks ago. Yes, it is very true, what was once a thriving country of prosperity, is now a country filled with empty stomach lined up at food banks.
As time goes by for the next 90 days, we mostly will be posting more about the side effects (hardships) then the virus itself. Street Talk keep a watch out for it.

new topics

top topics

join