It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Create Carbon Structures Stronger Than Diamond

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2020 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I am interested in this new way of manufacturing the plate-nanolattices (PN) and their potential usage .

Evidently this is the first time using the (PN) method instead of using the previous beam-nanolattices they have been able to succeed in making something 5 or 6 times stronger and stiffer. The claim as the title says is this new carbon structure is stronger than diamond.

The newly-designed plate-based nanolattices are expected to be of great use in the aerospace and aviation industry, as their combination of strength and low mass density should greatly improve aircraft and spacecraft performance.

Nanolattices are porous structures made up of three-dimensional carbon struts and braces. They are incredibly strong and lightweight because of their unique structure.

sputniknews.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2020 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

We're talking about management of the element C to its maximum potential. Just #6 on the Periodic Table of Elements.

Imagine what the future holds!!

posted on Apr, 19 2020 @ 04:29 AM
link   

I read the article. From it I understood they were using some sort of 3D printing method. But it left me totally void of critical application info. Meaning, did they create a workable solution, or just a proof that one day there might exist a workable solution. And more important, what is this good for? Are these diamond strength sheets, or superstructures or some sort of hard materials, or what are they really?

posted on Apr, 19 2020 @ 04:59 AM
link   

a reply to: deckdel

From it I understood they were using some sort of 3D printing method.

edit on 19-4-2020 by ShadowChatter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2020 @ 05:07 AM
link   

They are not stonger than diamonds as such. They are stronger than diamonds as a ratio of strength to density (means they are weaker but have much lower density).

Original source: news.uci.edu...
Paper abstract: www.nature.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2020 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: deckdel

And more important, what is this good for? Are these diamond strength sheets, or superstructures or some sort of hard materials, or what are they really?

Space Elevator!

And many other things...

top topics

join