It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robotic spacecraft caught an old satellite and extended its life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 04:11 AM
link   
For the first time ever, a robotic spacecraft caught an old satellite and extended its life

This is actually very cool in my opinion. The MEV-1 matches the orbit of this old satellites and refuels it and stabilizes its orbit for a 5-year extension of its service life and will then help to deorbit it so it does not just become space junk which was what was about to become. That is a fairly amazing robot space mission. They are planning on more of these in the future. Pretty amazing in my view.

edit on 4/18/2020 by machineintelligence because: added content

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Humm space junk why dont we just beam it all down ? ok now for real .
taking control of our things in space is a good step forward and can reduce the chances of a fleck of paint putting hole sin important places .
Let me say this though ALL space junk eventually comes down there is ONLY one spot to the right of the moon and around 500 k miles out that something placed there would Stay there well for a few billions years anyway .

The space junk around earth comes down every day and if we justs topped sending more things up within oo 50 to a 100 years there would be NO space junk left .
heck even 10 years would be long enough for 25 % to be back on earth . the whole space junk thing is still over blown as Space is just that LOTS AND LOTS of Spaceeee lol two pices of junk hitting each there well odds are better hitting the lotto .
And yes it has happened after all given 200000 pices of space junk it was a matter of time . BUt as of now 200,000 pices in a area the size Of 100 Earths is alot of empty space .

Lastly we shoudl keep our rooms clean Mom was right about that so go clean up your room Earth creatures lol .

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   
SPACE FORCE!

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: machineintelligence
For the first time ever, a robotic spacecraft caught an old satellite and extended its life
Pretty amazing in my view.

It would probably only be useful for really important satellites that had hardware that would be difficult to duplicate. Otherwise, we've all been caught in that cycle of trying to keep our old computers updated and spending nearly as much money doing it as it would to just toss it out and get a new one.

new topics

top topics

join