It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why were care home corporations not prepared ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Once upon a time , care homes were managed as family businesses.

Now you've got the national care home association , made up of stalker corporations looking to the government for PPE .

These are companies , eg Brendoncare that make huge profits industrialising the care industry , using up older people's funds as fast as they can.

They are supposed to care for older citizens in the last stages of life. And when residents run out of money their assets get stripped too , and when they're gone , the government pays instead .

So , WHY were care home corporations NOT READY for this eventuality , a pandemic ?

Because they ve been way too greedy , and negligent with it. They've made an oversight of something very simple , and they should admit liability .

They could have put SOME of that profit into making sure they were a sustainable operation , come what may. Like a pandemic .

After all there's now not any other option than leaving older citizens where they are.. in severe danger. And what about the staff ?

So at this point older citizens are in dire straits , and so are the workers
AND it's these companies owners and managers faults . Not the government , except they should have required them to have the kit to deal properly in the first place by law.

The companies can provide uniform for staff , nappies for residents , care in general. What's the f matter when they're now crying to government for PPE ?

It's your OWN damn fault , Brendoncare and others .
Wanton neglect.
And now it's too late. You're relying now on underpaid staff taking huge tisks while you've sat in ivory towers twiddling your thumbs and watching profit accumulate.

We d suggest that people adversely affected by their gross negligence sue their asses into the ground at the first opportunity.

edit on 16-4-2020 by DoctorBluechip because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Why weren't they prepared for a global pandemic that so far, has shut down the entire planet ?

Uh...billion to 1 odds maybe?
Why weren't hospitals ready for this ?
Your regular Dr should have been prepared also.
Pharm giants should have foreseen this.
EVERY industry on the planet should have seen this coming, right ?

..and we should just sue them all, huh ?

Get a grip.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

What's your billion to one odds ? The last pandemic emergency was in 2009 .

If it was flu , you'd need the same PPE
It's basic equipment , very basic , and cheap

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: DoctorBluechip

Yep. One hell of a "pandemic". Were you hiding in your house over that ?

en.wikipedia.org...

A follow-up study done in September 2010 showed that the risk of serious illness resulting from the 2009 H1N1 flu was no higher than that of the yearly seasonal flu.[15] For comparison, the WHO estimates that 250,000 to 500,000 people die of seasonal flu annually.[9]

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 09:00 AM
link   

A pandemic , all the same . It isn't a billion to one is it. It's an easily foreseeable potential compromise , to residents and staff .
They've been too busy making conglomerate empires out of people's needs , and overcharging customers , robbing family's inheritances, without assessing people's needs with a measure of caution.
We can prep for disasters , why didn't they ?

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Sorry! I work as a cook and we open at 10 so I have to be there at 9: 30 to slice, dice and prep so gotta go jump in the shower and get ready for work.
Be back later.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Short answer? They just don't care! The only thing that matters to them is profit.

One of my daughters worked as a cook in a nursing home for nearly 3 years for minimum wage and never got a raise or a vacation. Many times she was the only one of the kitchen staff who showed up and had to make meals AND serve over 75 residents all three meals for the day BY HERSELF! She stayed as long as she did because she cared so much for the residents and was afraid if she left they would starve. Reporting the situation to the state accomplished nothing. They would hire a few extra people (also for minimum wage) for show and then get rid of them after inspection. It broke her heart to finally leave that place.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Because retirement homes in america are garbage places where terrible people send family members they don't care about.

American society needs to change so that we start taking care of our family members at home.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   

infection control and control of cross contamination - SHOULD be at a gold std in such facilities - due to the inmates health and proximity

even simple infectioous pathogens can spread in a single facility - and the management SHOULD be prepared to deal with it

there is no " billion : 1 " - you just pulled that out your arse for comedic hyperbole

norovirus , a flu epediemic that affects one town , and a hose of tother things - are outbreaks a good care facility superintendant dreads - because everything has to be ramped up

so - you get a grip - and understand the realities of dealing with the health of multiple at risk inmates - cooped up in one building

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Why were care home corporations not prepared ?

two words : Shareholder Value

Also to add that as a society we have the confluence of two things to create this type of situation. We want things cheap without the macro view of what that does to jobs and domestic production and secondly, we do not really respect our elders anymore. They are the cause of all our ills today ("OK, Boomer" ring a bell?) despite the fact they built all that we benefit from.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: DoctorBluechip

So , WHY were care home corporations NOT READY for this eventuality , a pandemic ?

How do you prepare for a pandemic that has never really happened before in recent history? Also with this I think it was spreading for a good while in the asymptomatic mode until it finally hit the care facility in WA.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Sorry I didn't read your OP.

It's simple - being prepared and maintaining that preparation takes money that could otherwise go to enriching the owners, the captila funds that own many of them. And that my dear - is the American way of doing business.

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   

No business was prepared, even for a hard month. That would cut into next quarters profits.

Game, set and match, Morlocks. Thanks for playing!

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 10:32 PM
link   

That is a darn good question. It’s appalling that some of these nursing homes were such a mess. The one in New Jersey where something like 19 people died and they stacked the bodies in some room like firewood, just disgusting!

It scares the hell out of me because my husband is in a nursing home. My biggest fear is that he gets COVID-19. I don’t even want to think about it, but that’s all I think about. It’s truly awful.

top topics

join