It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump threatens to invoke constitutional power to adjourn Congress

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   
www.usatoday.com...

Should this pandemic be considered circumstances where Article II, section 3, can be invoked by the Chief Executive? I mean, the founders didn't envision nuclear apocalypse type events, so they probably were thinking about either war, probably war on American soil specifically, or a pandemic type event. I rarely if ever agree with Trump, however in this case, I do believe he'd be in his rights as POTUS to do exactly what he is saying he will do if the Senate doesn't formally adjourn.

What say you?
edit on 15-4-2020 by JimERustler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: JimERustler
Isn't the Vice President presiding officer of the Senate or is the Senate in recess? Why can't he adjourn the Senate?
Are they even working? That's a silly question.

Trump needs to send US Marshals to the capitol with arrest warrants.

edit on 15-4-2020 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I don't know if what Trump is threatening to do is constesional; if he goes through with it the Supreme Court would have to decide that.

And I agree with Professor Turley that is probably a bad thing to go down that road over this pandemic (not being a catastrophic event and all)

But at the same time I find it profoundly inexcusable that our Congress is not on capital hill doing our business at such an important time. If Nurses and Grocery Store Clerks can muster the courage to do their jobs than our congress should be held to no lower standard.

So I do hope Trump does what he is threatening.

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Can he legally do it?

constitutioncenter.org...

Section 3
He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Looks black on white to me. He should pull the trigger and let the Supreme court decide. Better yet force them to convene. Their only excuse not to be there is running a fever and then a Corona virus test followup.
edit on 15-4-2020 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Double post.
edit on 15-4-2020 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   
This would bring these high-paid people who only work 147 days @ year (Maximum) down to Earth...off their high-horse of self importance.

Aside from passing the 3 Covid-19 Rescue Bills, Congress hasn't been needed the entire first Quarter of 2020. Especially the US House.

edit on 4/15/2020 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

+24 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I think he should recess Congress, suspend their pay and benifits, send them a $1,200 check and reinstate their pay when they start actually working again.

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Imagine if Obama said this. Conservatives would be hopping madder than an apoplectic Rumplestiltskin with a bad case of St. Vitus Dance.

There would be open revolt.

And Mitch McConnell really is a piece of work. He's complaining about obstruction when he was obstructing during Obama's tenure as president. Pot meet kettle.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Imagine if Obama said this. Conservatives would be hopping madder than an apoplectic Rumplestiltskin with a bad case of St. Vitus Dance.

There would be open revolt.

And Mitch McConnell really is a piece of work. He's complaining about obstruction when he was obstructing during Obama's tenure as president. Pot meet kettle.

I doubt conservatives would have done anything of the kind if Obama did that.

After all, conservatives are generally the ones that understand the Constitution in the first place...

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ntech
I couldn't agree more.
This pandemic has turned into a constitutional crisis. There are way too many treasonous slime in congress to get anything done and he needs to ship them all home. Schumer, Pelosi,Nadeler, and other trators need to be sent home.

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Obama wore a tan suit and conservatives lost it. Surely you jest.

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

" Imagine if Obama said this. Conservatives would be hopping madder than an apoplectic Rumplestiltskin with a bad case of St. Vitus Dance. "

Ah , no , I cannot Imagine that considering Conservatives are Not trying to First Bankrupt , then Destroy America which the Leftist Dems are Currently trying to do .

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Conservatives might in fact feel that way; that doesn't make the feeling correct.

Its utterly embarrassing that our congress so often shrugs off it's responsibilities no matter who is president. And when the chips are down; when we truly need our government to work for us they go off and take a sick day.

Coequal Branch of government my @ss; they can't even bother to come to work.

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ntech

Looks black on white to me. He should pull the trigger and let the Supreme court decide. Better yet force them to convene. Their only excuse not to be there is running a fever and then a Corona virus test followup.

While leaving today's press briefing, President Trump turned back to say tomorrow (Thursday) will be a very big day.

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 09:08 PM
link   

After all, conservatives are generally the ones that understand the Constitution in the first place...

I looked for a picture of a facepalm big enough for this comment but I couldn’t find anything close.

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

I looked for a picture of a facepalm big enough for this comment but I couldn’t find anything close.

Intelligent Conservatives who can Read and Write Understand the Constitution to a Tee . If you want though , go ahead and Slap yourself Silly ...........

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Intelligent Conservatives who can Read and Write

I couldn’t find one for this comment either. You guys are living in the wrong century.

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

So your argument is that you cant work a device?

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: underwerks

So your argument is that you cant work a device?

I don’t think I ever presented an argument. I was just having a hearty cosmic laugh at more than one poster who actually thinks conservatives care about the constitution when it doesn’t benefit them.

And I stated how anyone that believes that is living in the wrong century. This isn’t the 1970’s.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join