It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coronavirus: Whistleblower Edward Snowden warns governments are building tools of ‘oppression’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   

“Your mobile phone is your new ankle bracelet.”

"There is nothing more foreseeable as a public health crisis in a world where we are just living on top of each other in crowded and polluted cities, than a pandemic. And every academic, every researcher who's looked at this knew this was coming. And in fact, even intelligence agencies, I can tell you firsthand, because they used to read the reports had been planning for pandemics."

"As authoritarianism spreads, as emergency laws proliferate, as we sacrifice our rights, we also sacrifice our capability to arrest the slide into a less liberal and less free world. Do you truly believe that when the first wave, this second wave, the 16th wave of the coronavirus is a long-forgotten memory, that these capabilities will not be kept? That these datasets will not be kept? No matter how it is being used, what’ is being built is the architecture of oppression."

uk.news.yahoo.com...

original story:

www.vice.com...

Free snippet on Vice's YT channel:

www.youtube.com...
edit on 14-4-2020 by Rolci because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 05:44 PM
link   
If I can add on to your thread I didnt want to do this separate but I still feel that this should be mentioned.

highlandcountypress.com...

There is talk of a widespread health survelliance system.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I have already mentioned Snowden's warning in another thread. What he has stated was something we could all see was coming anyway. Further surveillance methods such as the following....

www.nytimes.com...

www.sciencemag.org...#

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Rolci

He's making a drama about stuff everybody already know, to stay relevant.

I'd say: No $h!t Edward, really ???

How did you find out?....got it from ATS??

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Giving into oppression has always been wedged with safety and basic needs like food and shelter. And certainly, being tracked and monitored by cell phone has been talked about since we started carrying them around. But yeah, I think to keep raising the specter of what this all really means is worth continuing to remind, whether we've already gone beyond that slide that could be stopped, anyway.
stay safe.
tetra

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Rolci

Snowmen eh, haven't heard from him in a while, is he still in Russia?

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 02:15 AM
link   

No matter how it is being used, what’ is being built is the architecture of oppression.

This. Oh and people will hate you if you say that. It's as unpopular to point this out now as it was to raise concerns about The Patriot Act ~ 2002 - 2004. If you were alive then (and many of us here probably were) you know exactly what I'm talking about. You remember what it was like to be a skeptic post-9/11.
edit on 15-4-2020 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I was on the plane with him from HongKong to Moscow. The whole flight his head was under a blanket.

posted on Jan, 24 2021 @ 05:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlackOops
I was on the plane with him from HongKong to Moscow. The whole flight his head was under a blanket.

Wouldn't yours be?

new topics

top topics

join