It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surprise announcement , New XCOM game coming April 24th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Firaxis have today revealed a new XCOM game to be released in just 10 days at a discount for early adopters , XCOM: Chimera Squad will launch for just $9.99 on Steam.

The game focuses on a group of 11 named characters, brought together in a new location called City 31 to form the special operations team called Chimera Squad. Events take place five years after XCOM 2: War of the Chosen. All characters are combat veterans pulled from the ranks of human and alien forces alike. They include sectoids capable of mind control and mutons with overwhelming strength and agility. Together, this hybrid group of special operators is tasked with enforcing an uneasy peace after the fall of Advent.

“Deploy your custom team of human and alien agents to defend Earth’s fragile, newfound peace,” 2K said Tuesday in a news release. “Lead Chimera Squad through a new experience that innovates on XCOM’s turn-based legacy, utilizing strategy, teamwork, and new breach-and-clear gameplay to complete your mission objectives.”
www.polygon.com...

Here's the Gameplay Overview for the game.

A new XCOM game for a tenner ?
Take my money.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   
please say its on xbox, please say its on xbox

XCOM: Chimera Squad will be a stand-alone release for PC

arrrrgghhhhhhh

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Yes yes!!! Take ALL mymoney!

Avid XCom fan since the very beginning. I still play XCom 2 WotC almost daily. When I get bored of all of my other games, XCom still holds up. This is wonderful news - especially in these dark times of the 'Stay Home' dilemma.

Currently, I have WotC modded to hell. Helps keep it interesting but not necessary.

Thanks for the awesome info. I've been waiting for this news to come up!

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Ok I was too excited to watch the video before i responded.

I'm a little bit saddened (still grateful) that it's not a true XCom continuation - Terror from the Deep - but it does mirror Xcom 3: Apocalypse. It does appear and have the same feel as Apocalypse. Hopefully it doesn't bomb like Apocalypse did. It was so buggy and just horrible.

Maybe this is to hold us over until a TftD remake. That would be cool.

btw - The brutes look goofy AF. They should have kept the same skin from 2.

See you on the other side!
edit on 14-4-2020 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 06:14 PM
link   
So, is this intended to be a bridging episode between the last game and whatever we saw coming out of the ocean at the end?

Sort of like BioWare used to release bridge DLCs to link their major games. That would explain the surprise announcement and price point. It might also be a way to test out possible new mechanics.

But for $10 ... I'll be there.
edit on 14-4-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It's a spinoff from a different timeline. It's not a continuation, as per the dev team. This gives me hopes that they're working on Terror!

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

It may be a sneaky way to field test some mechanics they're toying with for that other game.

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Chimera Squad drops tomorrow and reviews are out , Karak says it's absolutely worth it which is good enough for me.

As an XCOM fan and chaser of bargains the price of admission makes this an essential purchase , plus I have tomorrow off work.

top topics

join