It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fire burning near Chernobyl

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 07:09 PM
link   
From the OP's quote:

Authorities insist the fire poses no risk to the public

After hearing that same bull about COVID-19 before the fecal matter impacted the rotary oscillator, can we ever believe a statement like this again?

2020 is one heck of a ride. I'm getting whiplash.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
And what next?

"Okay the COVID-19 thing is now over, but NOW you need to stay inside because of the radioactive plume overhead from a forest fire next to Chernobyl!"

Oh, and BTW...you can catch both COVID-19 AND get radiation sickness by posting on ATS!

Sorry my finger got tappity tap tap tappity on the star button...

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
welp there goes any chance of a good night sleep tonight...

Is this year over yet...

I know, right? Like between the pandemic if that wasn’t bad enough, now a literal nuclear fire. Geez, 2020 sucks donkey balls so far!

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

I remember the original disaster and watching the news on the clouds of radiation. They never quite got to where I was.

So while this could certainly pose a problem for those in the immediate area and downwind the same way the large prairie burnings each spring can sometimes send smoke our way where I am at, I don't think the world needs to shudder in fear of radioactive doom.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I remember the original disaster and watching the news on the clouds of radiation. They never quite got to where I was.

So while this could certainly pose a problem for those in the immediate area and downwind the same way the large prairie burnings each spring can sometimes send smoke our way where I am at, I don't think the world needs to shudder in fear of radioactive doom.

Yeah, hopefully things will be okay. I was in the Navy stationed in Japan when Chernobyl happened. I seem to remember they said we may have gotten a little radioactive rain from it. I was walking around outside that day with an umbrella. I remember that when it came time to go back stateside, I threw that umbrella away even though it worked perfectly well.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yeah, hopefully things will be okay. I was in the Navy stationed in Japan when Chernobyl happened. I seem to remember they said we may have gotten a little radioactive rain from it. I was walking around outside that day with an umbrella. I remember that when it came time to go back stateside, I threw that umbrella away even though it worked perfectly well.

Radiation levels all over the world were up. They just weren't up enough to be harmful in the vast majority of places.

People misunderstand radiation. Radiation isn't always harmful, it matters how much of it there is. You're exposed to radiation all day, every day.

"Radiation levels are 5x normal" sounds bad, until you learn that it takes radiation levels about 50x normal to be harmful.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   
on the first day of the fire they immediately reported radiation levels 16x higher then usual,
now 8 days later they say there is hardly any elevated radiation.
Egor Firsov, the head of the ecology inspection department in Ukraine posted it on his Facebook with pics of the Geiger meter showing the high levels. Their Gov keeps saying it isn't true...

As of two hours ago they report that the fires are under control, but the closest one came within a km of the plant

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
welp there goes any chance of a good night sleep tonight...

Is this year over yet...

Don't we all wish.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: KindraLaBelle
on the first day of the fire they immediately reported radiation levels 16x higher then usual,
now 8 days later they say there is hardly any elevated radiation.
Egor Firsov, the head of the ecology inspection department in Ukraine posted it on his Facebook with pics of the Geiger meter showing the high levels. Their Gov keeps saying it isn't true...

As of two hours ago they report that the fires are under control, but the closest one came within a km of the plant

While I don't necessarily believe what their government is saying, it's entirely possible to have elevated radiation levels and then for it to settle down a week later.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   
...If 2020 was a movie, I'd say the radioactive cloud is needed to serve an important purpose here as we enter the midway point of the feature: It's needed to reanimate all the assholes who died of COVID in the first third of the movie, so we can have the COVID Nuclear Zombie Apocalypse during the middle third of the film. I can only imagine that we're either going to be told aliens, demons, or an accidentally created in a lab Robo-Lincoln will be involved and will save us all from the Radioactive COVID zombies (of course after scores have been killed by the RCZs). I just keep watching to see if DB and Augie will finally kiss before the end of the movie.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

As I'm watching TWD all over again all I can say is,
at least we'd see what we're fighting... or running from

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Radioactive doom = every year a little more radiation from sources like Chernobyl and Fukushima, pollution from local nuclear power plants all over the world, etc., comes in the form of ever-increasing rates of cancer which can almost never be directly attributed on an individual basis to the event.

Doom sometimes creeps in slowly.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 08:35 PM
link   

They'll both be coming for you lol

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1

They'll both be coming for you lol

DB & Augie or zombies and Robo-Lincoln? I'm fine with that... it'll make an interesting Thunderdome sequence for the end of the movie.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: OuttaHere
a reply to: ketsuko

Radioactive doom = every year a little more radiation from sources like Chernobyl and Fukushima, pollution from local nuclear power plants all over the world, etc., comes in the form of ever-increasing rates of cancer which can almost never be directly attributed on an individual basis to the event.

Doom sometimes creeps in slowly.

There's lots of things that will kill you long before nuclear anything gets to ya. Stay away from the environmentalist propaganda.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join