It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Myth Of A Rapid Economic Recovery Once Quarentines Are Lifted

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73
I was not making a political argument. I’m sorry that’s all you saw in my post. Like I said I think you are out of touch with a large segment of this population.

Don't assume anything. You have no idea the age and demographics of the people that report to me and my customers.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

This will be looked back on as the biggest punch to ones own nuts in the history of history.

I fear they will just keep passing "stimulus" that will just cause hyperinflation.

edit on 13-4-2020 by FauxMulder because: keyboard has the kung flu

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I was not making a political argument. I’m sorry that’s all you saw in my post. Like I said I think you are out of touch with a large segment of this population.

Don't assume anything. You have no idea the age and demographics of the people that report to me and my customers.

I’m not making assumptions. I work with the group of people I am talking about. They are my employees. They will not be returning to work anytime soon if they do not have to. They quit on a whim because their boss didn’t give them Friday off to party with friends.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder
This will be looked back on as the biggest punch to ones own nuts in the history of history.

The sad part is most people haven't realized they've been punching themselves in the nuts.

I fear the will just keep passing "stimulus" that will just cause hyperinflation.

Why not? Once the government gets involved they tend to stay involved.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:22 AM
link   

I’m not making assumptions. I work with the group of people I am talking about. They are my employees. They will not be returning to work anytime soon if they do not have to. They quit on a whim because their boss didn’t give them Friday off to party with friends.

Then you should have done better in the interview process. You'll have your pick when and if things resume.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I wouldn't mind the stimulus bill if it wasn't filled with pet projects and the fear that the funds won't end up where it's needed.

Unfortunately the government rarely does anything efficiently.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I wouldn't mind the stimulus bill if it wasn't filled with pet projects and the fear that the funds won't end up where it's needed.

There was zero chance of that ever happening without being a mess.

And this is why we need to end the lockdowns ASAP.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I know you don't want politics in this thread but its impossible to discuss this economic situation without politics.

Politics caused it.
Politics will control the recovery.

All the people making the important decisions are more concerned about their pundits than they are about the people.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I am not looking for partisan politics in the thread since both parties are responsible. Trying to make this a Democrat versus Republican thread was not my goal, they both put us in the hole.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Unless you are lighting cigars with 50s (up from your normal 20s) then that money still exists. You might spend it differently but you will still spend it eventually.

The government needs to make sure that business stay open and employees stay on the books so that when people do get out spending again then the goods and services are there for them.

The virus was always going to ht the economy hard, the choice was take the hit with or without the higher death toll.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
Unless you are lighting cigars with 50s (up from your normal 20s) then that money still exists. You might spend it differently but you will still spend it eventually.

How? Explain how I can make up a month of travel when I normally travel every single week.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: markovian
Also where a global economy and even if we open right now we cant force the rest of the world to do the same

Local economies cannot wait around for the rest of the world to get its head on straight.

We have most things manufactured in china almost every buisness that physically sells items needs something from china

Pretty much nothing in my Original Post expenditure list involved items manufactured in China.

It's going to be a slow recovery alot of people will find out they have no job to return to

This part is correct.

The title of your op is The Myth Of A Rapid Economic Recovery Once Quarentines Are Lifted no ?

And I listed things that point out what will slow down recovery more

And you disagree ...

Have fun with this thread I can tell it will go well

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   

You are 100% correct. We are in similar positions, mine in healthcare sales.

I just finished telling my team not to expect the engine to just start back up. What scared me more than the obvious points you made... the utter complacency, the willful blinders, the lack of forsight expressed by my peers in regards the literal implications of halting a machine, of the global economies size.

link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

The government will efficiently steer the stimulus money to the mega corps just like always for the "to big to fail" but if you are a small mom and pop operation you will be SOL.

I'm gonna try anyway with a new LLC just to see if any of that money just might "trickle down" for a start up idea of mine. I see the SBA is already floating ads on the msm. I'm still a capitalist and willing to give it another shot, plus there is some new technology that looks promising.

edit on 13-4-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

link   
"Was it worth it"

A question from a user naive on the ramifications of a virulent disease, that, by extension, is ignorantly peddled as nothing more then the Seasonal Flu which is anything but, to include coronoviruses 229E, NL63, OC43 or HKU1.

My response, "What other choice did we have?"

The Chinese Virus has resulted in the decline of the global and local economies, they are not destroyed.
This is because of the nature of the Virus you so easily dismiss as a result of your inconveniences in not getting your limo, the chinese say "our bad", not really.

A scenario that Trumps yours? Not doing any quarantine and letting the Virus run its course, you think what you saw now is bad? Unchecked, the Virus would literally destroy our economy and incapacitate our ability to respond.

The Fed isn't going to let the economy sink either, its our house afterall.

Ultimately, your thread amounts to, Global economy wrecked, small business dead, hard life for all, no quick relief.

Yeah, got it 🙄

That's the point of optimism and those willingly to do what they must.
People are following the quarantine rules and life is adjusting to this reality and WORKING around it.

During this time, I have seen the American people pull through with incredible resolve and far outweigh the stench of those small band of people who believe in doom and gloom scenarios because of the disruption to their complacent lives and livelyhoods by an unseen enemy.

So, I agree with your assertions that recovery will take time.

Was it worth it? Yes, as I have explained on the result of an unchecked Virus.

As well build newer SOPs in handling the Virus, we can better understand it and thus as a result, implement new procedures so that we can still work and that's happening right now as we speak.

As the cases dwindle and the curve continues to flatten, we will see a repeat of the Roaring Twenties.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

How? Explain how I can make up a month of travel when I normally travel every single week.

You won't but the money (either yours or your companies) is still there and will get spent on something or invested. The demand has been deferred not removed.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:55 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I hate to hear your situation in the OP, but it's everywhere around the world

The other myth is we can restart and make everything here. I spoke with our manufacturer in Hong Kong a man I trust and have known forever he says Hong Kong and China are ready to go, but no orders globally. New merchandise is 3-4 months away in my industry, most will have to sell inventory on hand to stores that have already purchased those styles and are flush with inventory themselves.

To even to begin getting set up domestically would take 6 months to a year. So for the immediate future, the orders we do get will be few and far between and will have to be merchandise already in the system. We were multi-line reps so if one line failed we could just build on the others now we have all lines in jeopardy and these businesses tend to shut down on a moment's notice. Have no faith in the government's loan programs either. It will take the men, women in companies with deep pockets to invest in long term business building strategies. That in itself takes unity and a consensus of opinion and plan right now we are pretty divided.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Completely agree with OP, and it`s about the same situation in many countrys i guess. i think if this lockdowns are the new normal in flu season, many small business will decide that it`s not worth it to try and wont then open business. This is anti-capitalistic move..

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   
$100 in haircuts????

Was it worth it? Yes.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join