It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Prague, a monument to the liberator of the city, Marshal Konev, was demolished

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 06:23 AM
link   

In Prague, a monument was demolished to Marshal of the Soviet Union Ivan Konev, installed on the Interbrigade Square. This was announced by the press secretary of the administration of the district of Prague-6 Ondřej рамramek.

“The city council decided to implement the decree of the municipality of September 12, 2019,” said Shmarek, adding that the monument to the Soviet marshal will be placed in storage.

The head of the Prague-6 municipal district, Ondřej Kolář, on his Facebook page justified the demolition of the monument in this way: “He [Konev] did not have a mask on his face. Everyone must abide by the rules. ”

On photos and videos published on social networks, you can see how the statue of Konev is removed from the pedestal using a crane, and then laid on a lawn behind a pedestal. After some delay, the monument is loaded onto a truck and covered with tarpaulin.

The Investigative Committee of Russia opened a criminal case on the demolition in Prague of the monument to the liberator of Auschwitz and Czechoslovakia, Marshal of the USSR Ivan Konev. The department believes that the municipal authorities of the Czech capital violated the obligations to protect memorials made by the Czech Republic. Earlier, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu asked the head of the IC Alexander Bastrykin to hold foreign officials accountable for their decisions on the demolition of memorial structures.

Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu wrote a letter to his Czech counterpart Lubomir Metnar asking him to hand over to Russia a monument to Marshal Ivan Konev, who had previously been demolished in Prague.

“Mr. Minister, I cannot but express my regret at the actions of the Prague-6 self-government bodies, which on the eve of the 75th anniversary of the victory over German Nazism removed the monument to the hero and liberator of Europe and Prague from the Nazis, Marshal Ivan Stepanovich Konev. Artfully carried out in 1945 the military operation to liberate Prague from the Nazis saved the lives of hundreds of thousands of Czechs and liberated millions of your fellow citizens from the Nazi yoke, "said the letter to Shoigu.

However, the Czech authorities refused to transfer or sell the demolished monument to Russia.

Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said that such a hostile move by the Czech Republic against Russia would not go unanswered. In Russia, various forms of response are being discussed, from diplomatic to sanctions. It is proposed to impose sanctions on all Czech-made goods, including beer and cars, as well as on all Czech brands, as well as a ban on any transit. In the future, Russian tourists will be advised not to visit the Czech Republic. Russia reserves the right to criminal prosecution of all persons involved in this crime.

Such things against the background of Russian assistance to Europe in the fight against coronavirus occur in a "civilized" Europe.

At the same time, Saipudin Guchigov, a man of amazing spiritual strength, lives in the “wild” Russia, in its most “wild” region - Chechnya. He considers his main life task to restore the destroyed city cemeteries of the city of Grozny, military graves and monuments.

For the sake of the good cause of restoring the monuments, Guchigov has already sold most of his property - he has auctioned off an apartment, a large land plot, and business. And together with friends he created a special public organization - "Our city of Grozny."

“God is the same for everyone. God will count me out,” he says.

A nation that does not honor and does not know its past has no future.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

" liberator " ??? - ROFLMAO

he just facilitated the transition from the old invading oppressor - to the new invading oppressor

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

" liberator " ??? - ROFLMAO

he just facilitated the transition from the old invading oppressor - to the new invading oppressor

You can cut and paste that for like 95% of "liberators".

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Undoubtedly we may have had a much longer war and probably even lost without the Soviets and there vast human sacrifice (and the soviets would have lost without ours had we while struggling ourselves not sent convoy's of ship's with our own huge loss of life and material's carrying supply's via the deadly north Atlantic even before the Yank's joined the war.

But was this man a liberator, to the Soviets yes because he drove the German's back but not so much to the people of that nation whom had first been annexed and then occupied by the German's suffering under them and then by the Soviets whom they also then suffered under, at first they probably thought he was there liberator but then the Soviets proved they were there to stay.

But on the other hand the Soviets were better than the NAZI's though there are some utter moron's whom may think otherwise.

So he was at least 60 percent liberator.

Where this is a shame is that this nation is literally destroying it's own history here, you can not rewrite the past but you can tell the other side of the story, what they seem to be doing is trying to rewrite the past by burying this history, if they really wanted to respond to this statue then instead of desecrating it they should have erected another monument facing it with the names of those that died under Soviet rule - sent to gulag's, murdered, beaten to death in cell's and tortured and being the 21st century they could even have made it an interactive monument with survivors whom lived through those times telling there story's so kid's visiting the site could hear first hand on video recording's what the past was really like.

I do believe they are wrong to try to erase and rewrite history and not all of there own leaders are good men but from there perspective at least they are there country men I suppose.

I guess you can also blame the men in the powerful western European nations whom could have stopped Hitler but fearing another war acceded to his wishes when he illegally annexed this nation allowing him to appropriate it's industry's to built up his army's even more - many early German Tank's were actually Czech tank's stolen and re-purposed when the German's seized there factory's as were many of there gun's etc.

edit on 11-4-2020 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Marshall Konev is the liberator of Auschwitz. Are you anti-Semitic and Holocaust denier?

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

A simple question: how many millions of Germans were destroyed after the war in the concentration camps of Eisenhower? According to historians, from 2 to 4 million.
Is it freedom and democracy?

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   

You need to read real historians. Canadian agitators posing as historians don't count.

Now tell us how many German POWs taken by the Soviets died while being held in camps or died while in transport to those camps. The Soviets hold absolutely no moral ground to lecture others on the treatment of prisoners of war.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   
So this is like yalls civil war statues rage we had here in the us.

have fun with it
edit on 11-4-2020 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I'm sure the Czechs loved their liberation from 1945-1990. Top notch freedom they enjoyed there.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

You will be surprised, but the death of German prisoners of war in Russia is relatively small. Yes, some of them worked on strikes for another 10 years, built houses and enterprises that they destroyed. The vast majority returned home. But Eisenhower in 1945 issued a law removing all German prisoners of war from the scope of the Geneva Convention. The network has many photos of dozens of concentration camps in Germany and France, where the Germans died in millions. You need to know the story, not listen to the propagandists.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

muh keyboard hates you

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
muh keyboard hates you

I know the feeling, homeslice.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   

There are many photographs where Czechs massively greet Soviet soldiers with bouquets of flowers. These are historical facts, not post-war propaganda.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: RussianTroll
There are many photographs where Czechs massively greet Soviet soldiers with bouquets of flowers. These are historical facts, not post-war propaganda.

Dah, and then lived happily and prosper under glorious Soviet leadership for next four and half decades. Strong freedoms enjoyed and waiting for bread not very true, mostly lie from capitalist pig dogs making false propaganda against proud peoples.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Dissatisfied let them claim their government, as well as the governments of Poland, Hungary and Germany, which introduced their tanks to Prague in 1969

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 12:57 PM
link   

No, I know the HISTORY. You are repeating the PROPAGANDA, written by J. Bacque. The claim of millions of dead Germans in the Rhine holding camps is nonsense.

There were losses among those Germans. The driving factor was food shortages in Europe caused by a poor harvest that was massively made worse by a shortage of farm hands (many of which were dead or prisoners of the Allies or the Soviets).

Another hugely complicating factor was the presence of millions of people from all over Europe who had been brought to central Europe by the Nazis with their forced labor schemes. Those people had to be fed as well ... and there was not enough food to feed everyone as they should have been. But there is a huge difference in that situation and Bacque's absurd claim that Germans were systematically starved to death.

So you tell me: A lot of those civilians from other countries in Germany were citizens of the USSR. Should the Allied powers have starved them so that German military prisoners could eat better ? Yeah, my friend, I can assure you absolutely that NO ONE among the Allied powers or the Soviet military would have thought that would have been a just solution.

It was a bad food situation and millions suffered that year -- and among those who suffered, MANY more were European civilians than German prisoners.

And please, tell us the "small number" of Germans who you claim perished as Soviet prisoners of war. Not so small as you imagine.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: RussianTroll
Dissatisfied let them claim their government, as well as the governments of Poland, Hungary and Germany, which introduced their tanks to Prague in 1969

I agree, comrade, stupid Czech peoples should never make fight with Soviet overlords, is joke. Puny Czechs no match for glorious Soviet armor made from Stalinium.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

I don’t know who J. Bacque is. I am based on archival documents and photographs published by the Russian Ministry of Defense, which contain originals of Eisenhower’s orders, maps of concentration camps and statistics on deaths of prisoners from hunger, cold and illness. I understand that for Americans, these facts are a shock. But during and after the war, there was an information war, and propaganda must be distinguished from archival documents.

By the way, there is a legend about 2 million German women allegedly raped by Soviet soldiers. There were rape, but each of these facts came to court, and the rapists were convicted. But where to get the American statistics on the daily supply of 50 thousand condoms to the occupying forces? Are they ballooning out of them?)))))

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   

My friend, I appreciate your irony))) But the Czechs are normal guys, I was familiar with many at work. Another issue is the current state propaganda. It is sad

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   

No shock for me. As I have told you twice now, I know the history vice the fairy tales spun by propagandists.

You are parroting Bacque to a "T". If Soviet historiography was -that- bad in the aftermath of the war ... wow.

Here are some facts for you:

No one knows precisely how many Germans died in those camps, but it was nowhere near even one million.

No one knows (precisely) how many German military personnel fell in action in 1945.

You know why ?

Because too many records were lost and too many people moved on to new places after the war. The German Red Cross could not trace them -- lack of information. Even German historians have bitter arguments over which figures should be considered valid.

As I wrote before, the truth is simple. There wasn't enough food to feed everyone (remember, civilians had to fed as well) at normal levels. And that food shortage went on for YEARS.

So yeah, those German prisoners did not get fed as well as they should have. It was a by-product of the general situation, not a vindictive policy by Eisenhower or other Allied leadership.

Since you are a fan of the Soviet Union, I should not have to point out to you that, ultimately, the cause of ALL of the suffering of 1945 can be traced back to Germany's military misadventures. Too many men pulled out of civilian society, too many foreign civilians drafted as forced labor, an incredible number of former Allied and Soviet soldiers who had been held as POWs by the Germans (well, that is, those Soviet soldiers who survived being POWs of the Germans) ... the causes and effects of German wartime policies go on and on. And the food shortages of 1945 were greatly aggravated by choices made by Germany's leadership during the war.

Keep trying if you wish. I know this bit of history VERY well.

Cheers

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join