It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN and others fear mongering Marijuana over Tobacco - Covid19

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:01 PM
link   
How can the American Lung Association be more concerned over Marijuana than cigarettes?? Cigarettes are by far way more harmful for your health and lungs than marijuana, yet they put out information to the public to stop smoking marijuana via CNN.

"What happens to your airways when you smoke cannabis is that it causes some degree of inflammation, very similar to bronchitis, very similar to the type of inflammation that cigarette smoking can cause," said pulmonologist Dr. Albert Rizzo, chief medical officer for the American Lung Association. "Now you have some airway inflammation and you get an infection on top of it. So, yes, your chance of getting more complications is there."

Some degree, very similar, some, chance, is there....jeeze what a long winded warning of just be careful?

But ah ha, here is the point of the article:

The problem, said Dr. Mitchell Glass, a pulmonologist and spokesperson for the American Lung Association, is that the last thing you want during a pandemic is to make it more difficult for a doctor to diagnose your symptoms.

Ok, I agree, let's not make it harder for our nurses and doctors, agree...so why make this fear mongering article?

Signs of lung damage from smoking even just a few cigarettes can show up in a matter of days. While a hit or two of marijuana doesn't compare

So journalism fluff?

And since a dry cough is a key sign of Covid-19, any cough caused by smoking a joint of weed could easily mimic that symptom, making diagnosis more difficult.

"Because it attacks the lungs, the coronavirus that causes Covid-19 could be an especially serious threat to those who smoke tobacco or marijuana or who vape," the NIH said in its announcement.

"We need to make sure that these users are aware that marijuana is in essence an underlying health condition," Hulsey added. "They should take extra precautions by minimizing use to the extent that is possible, and even start virtual treatment and a recovery journey while everyone's stuck at home."

Marijuana is an underlying health condition?? Is that even grammatically correct?

I can't believe they put this information out before putting any advisory on smoking cigarettes during this pandemic. Big red flag for me...does it have to do with how much money the Marijuana Industry is making right now?

Mercury News is down, but they have reposted the article too per Google search...Seems this "news" is going viral...

CNN

NY Post

Insider

WTAE

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Smoke pot and die Biatches...

This is reefer madness 2.0 to kill all the potheads with a very focused virus.

edit on 10-4-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Pot is way harder on the lungs than Tobacco. It has more chance of causing cancer and some lung issues than tobacco does when smoked.

Cannabis is a good medicine, but it is not a wonder drug. overall, it can fix one problem and cause another problem just like pharma drugs can. People are trying to make it into a med that cures everything, I think those people must be smoking too much of it.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: game over man

Your lungs are designed to take in and process air so anything that isn't air has a chance of damaging your lungs so I can see the reasoning , not a problem if you make cakes though.

Mmmm ... cakes.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Your lungs are designed to take in and process air so anything that isn't air has a chance of damaging your lungs so I can see the reasoning , not a problem if you make cakes though.

Mmmm ... cakes.

I like the pizza version and brownies better than cake.

Something about the interaction of oregano and cannabis that complements each other.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: game over man
How can the American Lung Association be more concerned over Marijuana than cigarettes?? Cigarettes are by far way more harmful for your health and lungs than marijuana, yet they put out information to the public to stop smoking marijuana via CNN.

Psstt! The Lung Association is one of the beneficiaries of the Tobacco Settlement. They get nothing from the Marijuana Industry.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   

My body my choice!

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   

The tar from pot is actually pretty thick compared to the tar from cigs. Still, it's stupid that large tobacco is complaining but it's obvious as to why. It shouldn't make a difference. Cigs and pot aren't really in the same category. Smokers are going to smoke. It's not like pot will make you stop smoking cigs. In fact, you may smoke more.

Still, all the other crap in cigs are more carcinogenic

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

My body my choice!

Agree..and no bitching in the end either...

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I can't believe they put this information out before putting any advisory on smoking cigarettes during this pandemic. Big red flag for me...does it have to do with how much money the Marijuana Industry is making right now?

don't know what you use for news sources, but i've been hearing about smokers and vapers being at more risk than others for at least 3 weeks if not longer.

here is one from Mar 17
How smoking, vaping and drug use might increase risks from Covid-19

i could find more but i think i proven my point.

edit on 10-4-2020 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Pot is way harder on the lungs than Tobacco. It has more chance of causing cancer and some lung issues than tobacco does when smoked.

Hahaha, prove it!!!!

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

Psstt! The Lung Association is one of the beneficiaries of the Tobacco Settlement. They get nothing from the Marijuana Industry.

Exactly...the news article seems very politically motivated...

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The most significant and dangerous side effect of marijuana: questioning what you're taught and using discernment.

Dangerous to whom???

A media that relies on you doing the exact opposite of that.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Hahaha, prove it!!!!

I could probably provide thirty research articles showing what I just said, but you would not accept them anyway because you believe what you want to believe. Marijuana has just as much bad properties as good when it is smoked. In fact, it is worse than tobacco. I won't waste my time when I know you will not even consider anything that goes against what you believe.

Most of the evidence of Marijuana being beneficial seems to use it as being consumed not smoked.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Ok, Thanks for the education, ALA.

1000's of other ways to use it, so I'm good.

(But is there anyone really out there still, that doesn't know putting anything in their lungs, but air, and some of that is questionable, can be harmful?)

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I would argue that cannabis smoke is way harder for the throat than cigarette, my analysis based upon my everlasting cough if I dare to smoke a joint without tobacco, while I don't even cough if I mix the two.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgarthaSeed
The most significant and dangerous side effect of marijuana: questioning what you're taught and using discernment.

Dangerous to whom???

A media that relies on you doing the exact opposite of that.

Is this all wrong, or total hype?

However, the harmful effects of smoking cannabis are widely known and have recently been highlighted.3,4 Although the active ingredients of the cannabis plant differ from those of the tobacco plant, each produces about 4000 chemicals when smoked and these are largely identical. Although cannabis cigarettes are smoked less frequently than nicotine cigarettes, their mode of inhalation is very different. Compared with smoking tobacco, smoking cannabis entails a two thirds larger puff volume, a one third larger inhaled volume, a fourfold longer time holding the breath, and a fivefold increase in concentrations of carboxyhaemoglobin.5 The products of combustion from cannabis are thus retained to a much higher degree. How is this likely to translate into adverse effects on health?

We already know that regular use of cannabis is associated with an increased incidence of mental illnesses, most notably schizophrenia and depression,4 but it is also worth examining its potential to cause other illnesses, especially those of the heart and respiratory system.

At present, there is an understandable dearth of epidemiological evidence of cardiopulmonary harm from cannabis, because its use is a relatively new phenomenon and its potency is changing. The amount of the main active constituent, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), in cannabis has increased from about 0.5% 20 years ago to nearer 5% at present in Britain, whereas “Nederweed” (the variety smoked in the Netherlands) has an average of 10-11% tetrahydrocannabinol. At the same time little study has been undertaken of any concomitant change in the content of tar. Case-control studies are difficult to perform since cannabis cigarettes do not come in standard sizes, which makes dose-response relations difficult to establish. Furthermore, most users of cannabis also smoke tobacco, which makes it difficult to dissect out individual risks. As with tobacco, there will be a latent period between the onset of smoking and the development of lung damage, cardiovascular disease, or malignant change.

US National Library of Meds

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Hahaha, prove it!!!!

I could probably provide thirty research articles showing what I just said, but you would not accept them anyway because you believe what you want to believe. Marijuana has just as much bad properties as good when it is smoked. In fact, it is worse than tobacco. I won't waste my time when I know you will not even consider anything that goes against what you believe.

Most of the evidence of Marijuana being beneficial seems to use it as being consumed not smoked.

People have been smoking marijuana illegally for decades-centuries...Prove that marijuana is causing more cancer in the world than cigarettes. Otherwise take the L

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The difference between cigs and weed is some people are more susceptible to go crazy if they smoke too much while others are fine. It is like a role of the dice if you are in the go crazy range. My friend went a bit nuts, he was a pothead but idk if he would have gone nuts anyway. Because of him I quit weed. He is better now that he is on pills.

Anyway I smoke cigs and don't see anytime when I would not.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

don't know what you use for news sources, but i've been hearing about smokers and vapers being at more risk than others for at least 3 weeks if not longer.

here is one from Mar 17
How smoking, vaping and drug use might increase risks from Covid-19

i could find more but i think i proven my point.

I saw those older articles when making the thread, but this same "news" is being reposted everywhere today.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join