It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hard lesson we must admit now

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 03:06 AM
link   
If this pandemic has taught us anything it is that we have let our society go too far astray.

#1 we must bring back home Ec and shop class to all schools starting in middle school.
I am appalled at the number of adults that can’t sew a basic square for a mask, or a single button.

The bulk of our food must be grown and processed here. Sending chicken to China for processing is nuts and dangerous.

I think some people had a rude awakening when they realized how little they cook at home. I hope cooking skills are reinvigorated. This will help with health in our society too.

Child rearing & discipline. Looks like it wasn’t the teachers fault you have a brat! I wonder if this quarantine has opened peoples eyes that it is so beneficial to have a parent at home.

The number one thing I hope this has changed in people is their personal finance. I learned that hard lesson in 08. Did anyone see the story about NBA stars living paycheck to paycheck?

As with everything, nothing is all bad. This pandemic will shine a light on hard truths we have been lying to ourselves about.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

in order to return " home ecconomics and shopping " to the school sylabys - ayou proposing :

a - lengthen school day

b - cut time from other subject[s] - if so which

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Shop class is still around at least in some schools. My son is currently taking one as a junior in HS. Economics I tech my kids myself. I don’t trust big gov to teach my kids the proper way anyways considering they push to put kids in debt these days.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Some people pass all the skills you listed on to their children, just as a matter of living. So it is from my parents, so we our doing for our children.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 03:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

Some people pass all the skills you listed on to their children, just as a matter of living. So it is from my parents, so we our doing for our children.

I learned from home and school. It was great and I’ve used those skills my whole life. No reason we can’t bring back basic skills like those in school.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 04:14 AM
link   

I’m always amazed how people don’t have potatoes, onions or milk in their homes to cook with and I'm not talking about people who are poor, they can afford it, but they eat out all the time. Dinner is a happy meal. 🍔🍟 People can’t even peel a carrot, they buy those gross pre- peeled things. Or they nuke everything. Nobody can even read a recipe, might need to know the difference between whip, beat, stir, cut in, blend and fold. I’m glad I had those classes.

I suppose in this day and age both parents need to work so there’s no parent at home. I was always at home for my kids.

Funny about the sewing too.

edit on 10-4-2020 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 04:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

in order to return " home ecconomics and shopping " to the school sylabys - ayou proposing :

a - lengthen school day

b - cut time from other subject[s] - if so which

Who cares if it’s lengthened, they just need the basic subjects, sciences, math, English, geography, history, Phys Ed,etc plus life skills.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Why schools? Why can’t these basic things be taught by....oh I don’t know....the people called “parents”?

+11 more 
posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

Why schools? Why can’t these basic things be taught by....oh I don’t know....the people called “parents”?

Neoliberalism. Both parents too busy working. Good point though, maybe we need to question the need to work so damn much.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 05:18 AM
link   

I agree.

Shop class was my first business, I made pipes for all the school potheads.

Home Ec taught me that women can't cook and that if I could cook it could facilitate laydown dancing with said women.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 05:34 AM
link   

God damn the kids of today.

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 05:56 AM
link   

One lesson specially important for ATS is : Preppers were not crazy.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 06:05 AM
link   

One for the adults too , don't be a dick about gardening . You got a degree in computer science , you can do a bit of gardening right ?
It's just plain simple old gardening right ?
Wrong .

The amount of times you see people getting it wrong , and if you tell them their yields are going to be poor, they get all uptight . How could they possibly be wrong ?
Schools gardens , where they have ' nice idea' to give them a packet of seeds are more often than should be , complete disaster zones within weeks , growing nothing but weeds and pathetic thin crops. It's no way to teach kids anything about food , and that's so called adult educators overseeing that.

One of the greatest myths is raised beds . You want a massive job of watering everyday ? Get some raised beds put in , at cost to your pocket , space and productivity . Get some irrigated beds , now the ground is growing things , not you.

Another big problem is pots. Tiny to large plastic pots which dry out everyday are just your means of putting in more effort and resources than you'll get out . Unless you live in a flat or your ground is poisonous , choose another way . And again a little effort keeping the sun off the root zone , pays dividends everytime.

If you cut a new bed and intend to seed it be prepared for hard work. Dont let that hard work go to waste but go the extra mile to cut a trench and sever tree roots , or you'll be robbed of water and feed , and your veg will lose against a tree or even strong growing bushes over only 1 season.

Again go th e extra and get irrigation channels dug , somehow , even plastic bin bags lining them is better than trying to water by hand every night . Use your means effectively , don't waste any seeds , beware of contingencies, don't ignore them . Birds or rabbits can destroy your crops , the sun can dry them out andkill them in n less than a week . And lastly , they all need feed , if you haven't got they can't get it from nowhere .

Without going in all day , learn your means , you're in no way an expert in gardening all of a sudden cos you're a clutching a packet of seeds . Permaculture methods are recommended , the easy and quick as well as the long term . Get your advice from original masters , Foxfire , John Seymour , Bill Mollison .
Nobody is an expert gardener we re all the mercy of environmental circumstances and taking prior warning , or learning the hard way , are the routes new gardeners always take. It's a profession that summarily ejects the weak minded , don't be prone to a complacent approach , or failure is always waiting
End of sermon

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I'm pretty sure when they typed "shop class" they meant "shop class" not "shopping"

"shop class" is wood working and learning about how to use tools, it was fun.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: DoctorBluechip

You forgot to mention soil chemistry.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Just bury a couple of deer carcasses and leftovers to where you want things to grow.

Done%Done.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
If this pandemic has taught us anything it is that we have let our society go too far astray.

#1 we must bring back home Ec and shop class to all schools starting in middle school.
I am appalled at the number of adults that can’t sew a basic square for a mask, or a single button.

The bulk of our food must be grown and processed here. Sending chicken to China for processing is nuts and dangerous.

I think some people had a rude awakening when they realized how little they cook at home. I hope cooking skills are reinvigorated. This will help with health in our society too.

Yes, those things should come back into the schools. Someone asked, "what would they replace". How about all the worthless prepping for tests that actually teach the kids nothing? This is from multiple teachers we know.

"Rude awakening...how little they cook at home". Yep. I used to spend 8 hours prepping a meal for guests in my 20's. Now, at 62 with badly degenerated lumbar spine and hips, this frequent cooking is killing me. If it takes more than 30 minutes, it's bad. Unfortunately, I've always been a slow cook. OTOH, my husband will eat leftovers. I think what's stressing me out also is that you're never really sure what you'll get from the store. Hamburger today, no hamburger tomorrow, ad nauseum, Meal planning is more challenging. I do curbside pickup because of the pain and immunosuppression, so there's no winging it within the store. Anyway, I guess I'm saying that cooking every day is hard with pain issues and it's even more difficult with supply fluctuation.

On the bright side, I think we might be saving alot of money. How I miss the restaurants....and I'm not talking fast food either.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

One lesson specially important for ATS is : Preppers were not crazy.

Maybe not ... but, the way they go about it ...

SMH

star for your post though.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 07:29 AM
link   
A lot of parents aren't enforcing distance learning, another issue being realized.

My daughter is up to date with her NISD provided school tablet, you can see other kids and their progress and at minimum, Six(6) of the 15 kids in her class haven't made any attempt on the distance learning classroom.

This sentiment is echoed by media and fellow parents.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
A lot of parents aren't enforcing distance learning, another issue being realized.

My daughter is up to date with her NISD provided school tablet, you can see other kids and their progress and at minimum, Six(6) of the 15 kids in her class haven't made any attempt on the distance learning classroom.

This sentiment is echoed by media and fellow parents.

Inequality of access is proving a problem with this here in Australia. In lower socio-economic areas there may be 3-5 school age children living in the same house with the only device connected to the internet being a parents smart phone. These children are receiving no education of note right now. Public schools in these areas have also been struggling with the transition with very little funds for their IT departments. In wealthier private schools, there are teams of IT setting up programs behind the scenes and the kids live in large houses with their own devices and high speed fibre internet. Big wealth gap in education forming there.
edit on 10-4-2020 by harold223 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join