It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago Mayor's COVID Policymaking: Do As I Say, Not As I Do

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Where I'm at (Connecticut), I've noticed folks are moving about on their outdoor activities (talking a stroll, walking pets, biking) with somewhat regular frequency and location. The only exception is that most everyone seems to intuitively cross over to the other side of the sidewalk/path/road to avoid close contact with other pedestrians. Seems pretty much like common sense to me.

We haves boardwalks and nature trails in my city. They remain open; neither the city nor state have moved to shut them due to COVID. Mind you, my city is relatively small, so even in the best of times, in terrific weather, one can generally move about without too much difficulty or congestion. Other cities in Connecticut have taken more restrictive measures on closing walking paths/trails, as is their prerogative, if they feel the path isn't wide enough to sustain adequate social distancing, or if citizens are not following rules for keeping apart from one another.

In Chicago, the mayor felt the need to close a popular lakeside trail to foot traffic on account of flagrant disregard of social distancing guidelines meant to halt COVID's spread. It's been viewed by some as a somewhat harsh stance regarding freedom of movement outside, but not every situation in every municipality is the same, as I mentioned above.

In any event, that debatable decision is not what got the mayor in hot water. While many hair salons and barber shops remain shuttered in Chicago due to COVID, the mayor summoned a stylist to trim her hair during a private appointment. Did I mention that everyone else in the city who wants a haircut or manicure is forced to either do it themselves, await lifting of restrictions on public businesses, or hope they know someone in the trade?

I am certain the Chicago mayor isn't the only public official who has acted this way, but then again, not every public official has come down as hard on social distancing in their local district as she has, nor drawn the ire of their constituents for choosing the COVID crisis as a platform for publicly putting her own fingerprint on the nationwide debate over what social benefits illegal immigrants are entitled to.

Is Ms. Lightfoot setting aside any of her salary to offset the burden to Chicago taxpayers that will be incurred for giving financial aid to people who are not legal citizens of her city? Chicago is perennially on poor grounds with respect to debt and public finance obligations, and the COVID pandemic threatens to harm Chicago's fiscal health even more than the damage it has sustained in the best of times. I wonder if union members and public employees would support the mayor's stand on illegal immigration if it jeopardized the solvency of their pension plans?

Seems like the citizens of Chicago ought to demand their mayor tighten her own personal habits and the city's spending habits, as many among the public have been forced to do.
edit on 9-4-2020 by SleeperHasAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well, she is the self proclaimed face of the city.
Gotta keep it lined up.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Chicago and Illinois are run by people who don't give a damn about the citizens, and are lazy to boot.

Our Cook County Board President (Chicago is in Cook county) "Self-Isolated" herself for two weeks starting yesterday, because someone on her staff tested positive for Covid-19.

Did she get herself tested to see if she also had CoronaVirus? NOPE. She went home to enjoy a 2 week vacation, drawing full salary/benefits.

wgntv.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The entire COVID19 affair is a planned and scripted chain of events 😈

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:22 PM
link   
With leftist, their rules and policies only apply to the plebes. The elites continue to enjoy privileges and money. This is why in communist nations, even though everyone is poor, the politicians live in luxury.

This has long been a problem with leftist. Shall we make a list of examples?

Gun Control. You can't protect yourself, but I get armed security.
School Choice. Your kid must go to the crappy public school, but I get to send my kid to a private school.
Unions. We support unions, unless they try to unionize our company.
Illegal Immigration. We should have open borders, but don't try to come to my gated suburban community.
Climate Change. You should have to take public transportation, while I get to fly private or live in a 20,000 sqft mansion.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

I Google searched for an image of this mayor... What the hell am I looking at?

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened

I Google searched for an image of this mayor... What the hell am I looking at?

She checks all the boxes.

Black. Check.
Woman. Check.
Gay. Check
Leftist. Check.

The sad thing is that she was one of the more sane candidates running.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
The sad thing is that she was one of the more sane candidates running.

Oof, that is sad if true.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Do you have a link for that? You know what they say here on ATS - a link or it didn't happen.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   
One of the major problems, as a citizen of Illinois, I have with Chicago is that I live in Southern llinois and can't vote for anything in Chicago. But Chicago can do things that can darn well affect me here! They really need to let Illinois divide into two different states - North Illinois and South Illinois. Chicago always get funded more while we here in the southern part of the state get funded less. We only have two state police cars to patrol eight counties here in my district. That is a joke. Only I ain't laughing.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Chicago and Illinois politicians are starting to become very uneasy because tax revenues are down 67% over the last 30 days. Fewer people working... fewer people shopping due to the lockdowns... huge explosion in unemployment compensation claims.... ramifications they did not foresee beforehand, due to TDS-induced blindness.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrulyColorBlind

originally posted by: xuenchen

Do you have a link for that? You know what they say here on ATS - a link or it didn't happen.

Here you go: www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join