It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 100‐year Geoelectric Hazard Analysis for the U.S. High‐Voltage Power Grid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Abstract

A once‐per‐century geoelectric hazard map is created for the U.S. high‐voltage power grid. A statistical extrapolation from 31 years of magnetic field measurements is made by identifying 84 geomagnetic storms with the Kp and Dst indices. Data from 24 geomagnetic observatories, 1,079 magnetotelluric survey sites, and 17,258 transmission lines are utilized to perform a geoelectric hazard analysis with the most comprehensive data publicly available.

With these data, we estimate once‐per‐century geoelectric fields at the magnetotelluric survey sites and calculate the theoretical voltages within transmission lines in the U.S. power grid. Once‐per‐century geoelectric field strengths span more than 3 orders of magnitude from a minimum of 0.02 V/km at a site in Idaho to a maximum of 27.2 V/km at a site in Maine, with nearly 30% of the surveyed land area exceeding 1 V/km.

We show the influence that geoelectric field polarization has on geoelectric hazards when viewed on a power transmission network. The calculated transmission line voltages can approach 1,000 V in some transmission lines. Four regions in the United States with particularly notable geoelectric hazards are identified and discussed: the East Coast, Pacific Northwest, Upper Midwest, and the Denver metropolitan area.

A 100‐year Geoelectric Hazard Analysis for the U.S. High‐Voltage Power Grid

The USGS has released new maps that show where the power is likely to go out if the US gets hit with a bad CME.

The paper has a great list of power grid events and a lot of other good information about the US power grid in it.

The Sun looks pretty quiet right now.

edit on 9-4-2020 by LookingAtMars because: add pic

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Don't need to be at Solar max for there to be a CME.

That map should be used for something like disaster planning. You know, like we do for pandemics and stuff.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Need a decent sized sunspot to get a good one, right..?

Not solar wind now, a CME.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Not sure how much size has to do with it (that's what he said), it's more the magnetic configuration of the group. But yes, with a clear Sun there isn't much to be concerned with.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Acquaintance from Holland retired electrical engineer had done some work in the states during disaster relief helping get the grid back up and running post hurricane etc.

I asked him one day how bad is our grid... he said in Holland it would be condemned and be the top infrastructure project to replace in the next year.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I found something called EMP shield which is suppose to protect your home or car from EMP's. idk if it works but I want one to protect my house. Only thig is what is the point if the grid goes down. I am going to wait until the grid gets protection before a shell out $350... not a bad price for piece of mind I guess.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchandwait410
I found something called EMP shield which is suppose to protect your home or car from EMP's. idk if it works but I want one to protect my house. Only thig is what is the point if the grid goes down. I am going to wait until the grid gets protection before a shell out $350... not a bad price for piece of mind I guess.

That $350 surge arrester may protect your computer’s and TV’s if you get a lighting strike close by. We sell them on most commercial projects to protect the point of sale equipment.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: watchandwait410

A geomagnetic storm is not an EMP.
edit on 4/9/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Don't need to be at Solar max for there to be a CME.

That map should be used for something like disaster planning. You know, like we do for pandemics and stuff.

So, everybody should stay inside and not talk to their neighbors just in case there is a CME or a geomagnetic storm?

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

No, that wouldn't make much sense. Electric grid damage is not a communicable disease.

But perhaps the federal and local governments could make plans about how to deal with the effects of a powerful geomagnetic storm before one occurs.

Perhaps power providers could also be involved in the planning.

edit on 4/9/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join