It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Fiction for Strange Times

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ColoradoJens

Hahaha. Yes! The Willows.

My non-fiction (some may disagree here) mostly consists of UFO, ghosts, cryptozoology, occult type of stuff. Been a long time collector of the weird and wonderful.
I like Colin Wilson, Timothy Good, Jim Marrs etc.

You may have read The Stargate Conspiracy by Lynn Picknet and Clive Prince already but , if not, I think that's a must.

Enjoyed reading about people like Wilhelm Reich and G. I. Gurdjieff and those kinds of folk. Not necessarily subscribe to their ideas but interesting all the same.

And, not forgetting Charles Forte.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Everything published on my friend's press:

Centipede Press
www.centipedepress.com...

Seconding the Philip K Dick
Also random mentions

Haruki Murakami
Thomas Ligotti
Fritz Lieber
Hanns Heinz Ewers

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany
Everything published on my friend's press:

Centipede Press
www.centipedepress.com...

Seconding the Philip K Dick
Also random mentions

Haruki Murakami
Thomas Ligotti
Fritz Lieber
Hanns Heinz Ewers

Whoa, there are some awesome looking titles at centipede press! I like the Weird Fiction Review - I was a huge E.C. Comics fan growing up and that reminds me of those old comics. Thank you for putting up the link it is worth a more in-depth look for sure! Also great random mentions. I used to catch Haruli Murakami writing in the New Yorker very so often and think he's great.

And Thomas Ligotti has awesome subtly weird to outright bizarre short stories: Song of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe

Thanks again for the suggestions!

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 02:34 AM
link   
If anyone wants some strange reads I'd siggest anything from A. Lee Martinez.

He's written some awesome stuff like

Gil's All Fright Diner
Monster
Automatic Detective
Too Many Curses
Emporer Mollusk Versus The Sinister Brain
In The Company of Ogres
A Nameless Witch
Divine Misfortune

Of course you can't go wrong with Terry Pratchett.

There's John Dies at the End.

There's the story of Old Man Henderson which is based off of a somewhat true story and well worth the read just for the laughs.

It's available here. The page I'm linking to is safe. Don't knownabout the rest of the site as I have not explored it.

1d4chan.org...

Back to stories from actual authors I like Neil Gaiman. The first stories I came across from him were as a kid reading The Sandman. I kater learned that he wrote the book that the movie Coraline is based off of. He's also written a bunch of other cool stuff.

I like Garth Nix. Especially his Abhorsen series. Definitely worth checking out. Basically the stories is set in a place that borders between a magical place called the Old Kingdom and a nonmagical place called Ancelstierre and revolves around a family who's family business involves necromancy. Although their form of necromancy is actually outting the dead to rest forever, so that the "bad" necromancers and pure evil beings can't resurrect them to do their evil bidding. The books are a lot more interesting than I make it sound I promise lol

You may have heard of Abhorsen, or the other books in the series such as Sabriel, Clariel, Lirael, or Goldenhand. There are also some short stories there as well.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Sorry. Went off line and started my weekend.

Yeah, they are good reads, being an English major and what not...

I never turn people onto mediocre reads.

Enjoy! And laugh!!

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 03:30 PM
link   
My pleasure

Also in CO myself. front range

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Apologies and correction.

I said Miles from home when it should've been Myles away from Dublin.

Read The Third Policeman again today and it never gets old. A real pleasure.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Yeah, PIL!

I got to see them at n Arizona. Awesome! Also saw SRV and The Cult. That was 1990, a lifetime ago.

Getting modern, both musically and literature wise is a step forward. But then again, PIL is now 25 years old..

Getting old is weird!

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

Thanks AutomateThis1! Sorry for the delay i response just got back on after a day of activities.

So great to hear your suggestions...THANK YOU!

I've read the John Dies at the End series - awesome.

I finished What in the Hell Did I Just Read?by David Wong a couple months ago - the best thing is that these are all relatively new authors to me - I am trying to keep up on current or semi current authors..

Of course one of the best is Neil Gaiman. I've got 8 books of his. So smooth and consistent. You mention also Terry Pratchett - love him - have you read the Neil Gaiman Terry Pratchett book Good Omens

Hilarious and amazing they could do it together. Going Postal is great as is the rest of the disc world series. RIP Terry

I have added Garth Nix and A. Lee Martinez - after checking their bios its amazing I have not heard of them. Thank you! This is exactly what I am looking for - I hope all is well with you and have a great night!

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Hmmm. Was in Tucson in 1989-1990 at U of A. Perhaps we crossed paths at a concert lol! I was front row at Red Rocks for PIL New Order and the Sugarcubes around 1991 great times! Agreed on the dating of that too, Long time since I slapped on the PIL but I do remember.

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Thanks for wishing me well! I'm glad I could help ya find some new authors and books to read.

I have heard of Good Omens, and I have not read it. It must have slipped out of my mind. I will definitely get to reading it though!

I should actually go to sleep soon lol

posted on Apr, 11 2020 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoJens
a reply to: karl 12

Hey karl 12 I appreciate that! Ian Tregillis is excellent and hilarious. Milkweed Triptych is more or less how I wish WWII went.[/url]

Hey bud will keep an eye out for that - great author and looks like 'The Alchemy Wars' series is shaping up to be a very good one.

Don't think they are (or could) make a movie based on 'Perdido Street Station' but if they managed to pull it off I would love to see it - it also has a sequel called 'The Scar' which is pretty awesome.

Also do like a bit of Neal Stephenson, Richard Morgan, Ian M Banks and Margaret Atwood - especially their freaky futuristic sci-fi dystopian stuff.

• and of course Philip K Dick

edit on 11-4-2020 by karl 12 because: To add Philip K Dick

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Neal Stephenson's 'Cryptonomicon' was super good.

This reminds me of sci fi for some reason too, I recently enjoyed Kim Stanley Robinson's 'Aurora' about a multigenerational colonising trip in space.

posted on Apr, 13 2020 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Hey karl 12 yeah looks like there has been a lot of fan pressure fo a Perdido Street movie but nothing so far.

There is (was?) a BBC series City and the City - no idea if it is still on.

Margaret Atwood is awesome and I will check out the others. Love freaky sci fi dystopian. Also, I think the Phoenix lights are undeniable.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany
Neal Stephenson's 'Cryptonomicon' was super good.

This reminds me of sci fi for some reason too, I recently enjoyed Kim Stanley Robinson's 'Aurora' about a multigenerational colonising trip in space.

Kim Stanley Robinson is AWESOME! Super cool writer with always a positive message. Kim S Robinson There is a philosophy within his works that always is reaching for understanding and compassion. Love him. I read New York 2140 a few months back and loved it! Very strong in presentation. Thanks for the suggestions!

posted on Apr, 15 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I got into Robinson because of seeing the cover of Red Mars at a bookshop once. May have been way back in highschool. Got hooked on that trilogy and read all three super fast. Red, Green, Blue Mars
I appreciated how he tied in all parts of colonising: politics, relationships, resources, not just science.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join