It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

105,000 people

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I can see if we continue, we'd end up on the same side. As always, it's gonna be what it's gonna be.

Buy stock in Jack Daniels. I think I'm going to hurt the national stockpile today.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   
People are getting stir crazy.
This economy has done a swan dive to the bottom.

The silver lining is that once either an effective treatment or vaccine comes out, the rebound boom will be perhaps something the world has never seen before. There will be vacations, endless partys, etc.

So, its temporary, and it truly sucks that soo many people lost their jobs. The worst part is during a pandemic, the job loss also means for many a loss of their health insurance. At least maybe now we can address the health insurance issue for working class folks being one cough away from complete devastation.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
Well I'm not getting anything. My point is companies should have to deplete their cash on hand first before a bailout just like me. I would want to see if their executives are still getting paid. Willing to bet they are. They won't lose a dime other than bonuses.

You would be very surprised what airlines are doing to try and survive. That includes the senior execs and upper management taking cuts while the rank and file doesn't. Most businesses know how long the cash in the bank will last. Right now, they're all hoping it lasts to the end of the year but if this stupid shutdown continues, that won't be good enough.

By the way, United has about 90,000 employees - that's people, with families, that shop and spend money that helps other businesses run.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This sounds more like an AOC wet dream.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

Yep!

United
Delta
American
Southwest
Jet Blue
Frontier
Spirit
British Air
Lufthansa
Quantas
(others too numerous to mention)
All the commuter / feeder airlines
All the airports
All the concessions
All the flight catering companies
Boeing
Airbus
All the ground support companies / handlers, etc.
All the maintenance companies
All the parts suppliers
All the fueling companies
Millions of construction personnel
All the airport parking operators
All the hotels, taxis and ubers who support airports
All the travel agencies

Worldwide, just that grouping alone (and there are many more) represents about 50,000,000 people/jobs (yes, million).

People just don't have any idea how many people this industry actually employs.

edit on 4/9/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Cathay Pacific, in a recent 24 hour period, flew a total of 582 people.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Only the freighters are making money right now. With less capacity, the price per kilo is up.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That's one I forgot to note.

Thx

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:54 PM
link   

wow

people dont want to risk a flight with a sick person, dont blame them

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Virgin Australia stopped all flights in Australia bar 1 Melbourne > Sydney 6 days a week.

Certainly uncertain times and will be interesting times ahead.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick
You should see the ramps in Sydney and Avalon. Even Alice Springs has aircraft from everywhere stored there. Very sad and worrying sight. Some of QF's early 737-800's may be retired I believe. I did my last shift before a month layoff on a Friday night. Normally you would be fighting to get into the domestic terminal here through traffic jams and general insanity you see around airports world wide. That night I got to work in half the time and was one of only 3 cars entering.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

I stole some pictures from social media of Victorville. They're packed in there like sardines.

posted on Apr, 10 2020 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Yeah, I believe we just sent another 744ER there (VH-OEG). Soon the remaining 4 will probably join her. What an ignominious end to an iconic aircraft in the 100th year of that companies existence. Almost half of which has involved the 747 in some way.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join