It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAIT!! Important Stuff!! - Spicy Pickled Eggs, and Spicy Pickled Wieners!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 06:16 PM
link   
So I just got done putting up some spicy pickled eggs and some spicy pickled wieners. These things are the absolute BOMB, and they're easy to do too!
Here's how you do them:

Boil and peel a dozen eggs (everybody has got their own favorite way to do this). Easiest is boil in salted water and cool in icewater and peel under running water (no real voo-doo with my method).
Add the following ingredients to a sauce pan:

Recipe
- 2 Cups of white vinegar
- 2 Tbs of Canning / Kosher salt
- 2 Tbs sugar (cane is best)
- 1 Tbs of chopped garlic (I use the stuff in a jar...raw garlic can be dangerous).
- 1 Tbs (heaped) of red pepper flakes (I use the super-hot 'Chile Pequin' kind)
- (1) 1/4" slice of yellow onion, quartered.
- (1/2) Bottle of Louisiana Hot Sauce (you could use any vinegar based sauce like Tabasco, or Texas Pete, etc.)
- (2-3) Generous forkfuls of Mozzeta Hot Cherry Peppers (the kind you use for sammiches)
- (1) orange Habanero pepper, sliced into thin rings, seeds and all. (you can go for two if you like HOT)

Directions:
1. Cover vinegar mixture and simmer for 15 minutes
2. Put a ladle of the vinegar mixture with the goodies into a 1 qt. canning jar.
3. Fill the jar about half way with the boiled eggs, and pack down
4. Add another ladle of the vinegar mixture.
5. Add the rest of the eggs, pack down and seal.
6. Let the eggs rest for 3-5 days before eating, gently shaking them up periodically the first day.

Note - Depending on what size eggs you use, you may have more eggs than will fit in one jar. However, you will also have a little extra pickling juice left over also. I keep some small canning jars around just for this. Take the left over eggs and add them to a smaller canning jar and cover with the pickling mixture.

Note 2 - If for some reason you run out of pickling mixture you have two options. 1.) You can just fill the jar with vinegar, or 2.) you can fill the rest of the jar with water (so long as the ratio of vinegar to water doesn't go below 2:1).

Now, this is not a long term storage pickling recipe. These eggs technically don't have to be refrigerated, but I do. They will last for 2-3 months in the fridge...if they last that long before being eaten!

You've just made the best pickled eggs you will ever eat...period!

Lastly, here's the recipe for the pickled wieners:

- Same ingredients for the pickling juice as above.

Directions:

1. Slice wieners lengthwise.
2. Add a ladle of the spicy brine to a 1. Qt. canning jar.
3. Add the wieners, roughly (12) pieces depending on how big.
4. Fill the rest of the jar with the spicy brine.
5. Let 'em age for 3-5 days minimum and then MAOW on them!

Best pickled wieners you'll ever eat...period! Easy-peasy!
Note: Some recommend Nathans or Hebrew Nationals for this, but I think those are too garlicy. So, I use regular old Oscar Meyer hot dogs, and they turn out great. You can also use smoked sausage, or smoky links for this. You can even throw in a bit of liquid smoke if you want.

ENJOY!!! This stuff is the BOMB!!
edit on 4/8/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/8/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 06:27 PM
link   
thanks

give me something to do right now.....perfect flavor treat huh....

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

mmmmmm…...pickled bologna, pickled eggs.
I grew up in the hills of Eastern Ky and love!! pickled bologna and pickled eggs.

We would buy the big glass jars of the bologna and when a bit of it was gone, we'd boil some eggs and drop'em in.
All you need is Saltine crackers and a RC Cola.
Hillbilly caviar.

ETA - Oh !! The little pickled/hot sausages in the jar!! Or, the big "Bahama Mama" HOT sausage you can get at the gas station.

…..with Saltine crackers, of course.
edit on 8-4-2020 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Honestly, it's just the little things!

I can remember going into my friend's dad's bar when I was a kid (before 18), and there was this jar of nasty looking, red, pickled eggs. I swore them off for the longest time. They had pickled sausages too. My first reaction was they were horrible.

Then...

I actually tried some. OH, MAN!!!

And, the recipes I have posted above are some of the best in the World!! Beyond good!!

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 07:44 PM
link   
lol god forbid you post this on my thread where i asked for suggestions.

Just HAD to have your own thread eh?

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Just something I can add.
My wife won egg cooker set-up in our family’s gift exchange this past Christmas.
It’s awesome, easy and makes hard and soft boiled eggs as well as anyone.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Atomic Farts, at least that's what I hear..

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 09:08 PM
link   
But oh so yummy

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

What? What thread???

Perhaps yours is better than mine... so be it!

I didn't see your thread.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Thanks...
I'm in lockdown with my sister whom we will assume! About to ban me from the inside of this house if I boil anymore eggs..... and I have only fresh garlic cloves to work with.

I let her cook since she can, but I'm experimental. ( and also have plenty of Carolina REAPER sauce )

Off to the deep freezer to grab some sausage.

Thank you kindly for your Cooking with FCD threads

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 10:08 PM
link   
What is with pickling eggs today? Poor eggs! What have they ever done to you people?

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Here's what yesterday's batch looks like.

Pure LOVE!

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Have you ever owned chickens? You see, the chickens they keep laying eggs. And the eggs keep coming, and coming, and coming.

When we had our chickens (probably only about 9 or so), they laid an egg a day per chicken, sometimes even two in a 24 hour period. By week end we'd have 6 dozen fresh eggs. So, you'd hurry up and make a bunch of egg dishes and use up a dozen or so. By the end of the next week you'd have 11 dozen eggs. And then 17 dozen, then 23 dozen...and the eggs just keep on comin'. At first you start selling them to eager egg lovers, but pretty soon you overwhelm them. Then you start giving them away, but even free eggs can overwhelm your friends, and now you've got 'eleventy-nine' dozen eggs.

So, the moral of the story is; you have to find creative things to do with those lovely orbs. Pickled eggs is just one thing.

So this all about the love of eggs, and no, eggs never did nuttin' to me, and I luv's me some pickled eggs!

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:34 AM
link   

I knew there was a reason why I never had my own chickens.

They sound like feathered zucchini + poop. Although we did toy with trying to get a couple if we ever had a yard large enough for them.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 10:53 PM
link   
its rare to make pickled eggs on my country...

what make you love to make and eats pickled eggs?

new topics

top topics

join