It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African Americans dying of COVID-19 at disproportionate rate

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

It's also race baiting to single out African-Americans as if to suggest they are the only ones who are both poor and suffer from both high rates of obesity and underlying comorbidities, too.

The only difference really is that poor whites tend to live in trailer parks instead of densely packed urban cores which has likely protected them some.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry
Except that most of the deaths from Covid so far in the US have been white people

So how are they dying of covid "disproportionately"?

I see some seriously cherrypicked information that preys on people who they know wont actually look at he numbers and how they dont add up.

In conclusion, its bullsnip

percentage, not numbers.
..in conclusion, you should rethink before calling bull

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

To be honest, it doesn't matter what the color of someones skin is, Americans are dying, why did you need to make this a division between black and white people? Can we not all discuss demographics without bringing subtle racism into play here?

I did no such thing, the OP did

My response was that its BS

Im sorry youre politics which arent in line with mine, prompt you to pick an argument everytime you see my avatar, regardless of what I have posted.

Get a hobby

(post by BoscoMoney removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

Except that most of the deaths from Covid so far in the US have been white people

I see some seriously cherrypicked information that preys on people who they know wont actually look at he numbers and how they dont add up.

percentage, not numbers.

I realize a lot of people from certain political persuasions like to try and twist information to fit into a narrative of a racial lens

But the fact is YES more white people have been killed by this virus, so NO its not killing black people disproportionately, less have been killed period.

I contend its racist to always try and make things about the color of skin, which the OP did with this whole thread creation.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 06:03 PM
link   

percentage, not numbers.

I realize a lot of people from certain political persuasions like to try and twist information to fit into a narrative of a racial lens

But the fact is YES more white people have been killed by this virus, so NO its not killing black people disproportionately, less have been killed period.

I contend its racist to always try and make things about the color of skin, which the OP did with this whole thread creation.

Seems like you are the one wanting to make it about race

Anyhow, I will speak on a level you might understand

if 25% happen to blue people
and 5% hapepn to green people
its happening to blue people disproportunately

now, there are 20 blue people
and there are 5 million green people

so yes, more green people die, but more of a percentage of blue people die...if you can't understand this, then punch your high school teachers next time you see them for being useless.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 06:11 PM
link   

percentage, not numbers.

It's not about me, it's about what is being reported by the news and what is happening in our country.
It's on the news, the president of the United States is saying it, doctors are saying the African American community is being hit hard.

The president isn't saying it's about race nor is he being racist when he is clearly stating the virus death rate is hitting the African American community disproportionally.

President Trump Explains That The Pandemic is Dis-proportionally Fatal In Black Communities
Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top expert on infectious diseases, said the prevalence of hypertension and diabetes makes the African American community more vulnerable at a daily briefing on Tuesday.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

originally posted by: Ksihkehe
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Southern Poverty Law Center should condemn Covid since it's clearly a hate group/virus.

Maybe Al Sharpton can meet with Covid to teach it about equality.

Trump did this, he's emboldened violent racist viral infections.

China should pay reparations.

We need reverse affirmative action, start infecting and killing white people.

It may be sarcasm or just a joke to you however for some its not funny to suggest killing people when people are dying.

Okay.

I'll wait until everybody stops dying again, you know, like it was before Covid stole our immortality.

I could talk seriously about health disparity across the board for blacks, hispanics, native americans (some of the worst healthcare outcomes even in places with allegedly free healthcare), and the poor. This reporting and this thread aren't about the realities of health disparity. This is a knee-jerk reaction to an article that is seeking to create a stir and get clicks. There are large gaps in the data. Death rate is most likely tied to infection rate and can't be measure simply as a percentage of population.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Dr. Fauci correctly pointed out that Black Americans are more susceptible to all manner of threats to human health/life, due to overall lifestyle.

Black leaders have not "led", when it comes to improving the health of their communities.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It's also race baiting to single out African-Americans as if to suggest they are the only ones who are both poor and suffer from both high rates of obesity and underlying comorbidities, too.

That's not race baiting, that's illuminating an accurate data point.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 07:58 PM
link   

White people only make up 33%, Hispanics are about thirty percent too. The areas that the virus has spread in are African neighborhoods and we should figure out why that is the case. Why not the predominantly white or Hispanic areas so much.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I'm sure there's some cultural factors at play. I work in a warehouse with roughly 70% African Americans. The remaining 30% are about 20% white and 10% Hispanic/Puerto Rican. We provide masks and gloves to all employees, but it's predominantly the white and Hispanic employees using them, though there are exceptions. There are also several medium size groups of the African American employees who i overhear every day planning parties and other activities to do together while everything is closed.

I certainly can't speak for the country as a whole, but here in my little slice of the world in Tampa the African American community seems to be treating this as an inconvenience to their social lives while other racial communities are abiding by the closures and social distancing guidelines.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Typical penultimate liberal mindset on show , right here , right now...
I used to have that mindset .
Used to..

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Then why is it race baiting to point out that this isn't racism as is being implied? Instead it's socio-cultural factors integrating with socio-economic factors.

African-Americans don't seem keen to keep themselves isolated, and I don't know about poor whites to know if that same disregard carries across to whites in similar economic circumstances, but it might. However, poor whites don't tend to pack into urban cores. They tend to live more disbursed in poor trailer parks and similar. Otherwise, they also have similar health issues to poor blacks.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

It probably is racial, as people of color don't make as much vitamin D as white folk. Since white folk were black once when they left Africa, the lower light levels in the Northern latitudes, caused a white mutation, to get established so that they could make Vitamin D more efficiently, a White person makes in ten minuets what a black person makes in ten hours. The trade off is that white people get skin cancer a lot quicker than Black people. That said even whites in northern latitudes are D deficient and its essential for the immune system.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Because the virus is obviously racist. Durr.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I can't believe I just read that gang banging is a cause of coronavirus. ATS has hit rock bottom.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: BoscoMoney
a reply to: rickymouse

Because the virus is obviously racist. Durr.

I haven't seen any real pictures of it, is it white?

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord Damn the media will go to no extent to push an agenda,now try to stir liberals into"racism' over vaccine,never ending facade painted by media big gov

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: game over man
I can't believe I just read that gang banging is a cause of coronavirus. ATS has hit rock bottom.

That's because you didn't read it. You made that erroneous conclusion up for yourself. But thanks for playing.

Ask yourself and be honest ... just in general, those who gang bang, do they have a respect for law and order? Will they generally respect the rules of polite society or do they operate by their own set of rules and codes?

If it's the latter, than ask yourself how likely they are to obey social distancing ordinances and decrees imposed by authorities outside their own internal power structures?

Now, I understand that gangs do have very strong rules and laws they do tend to obey, but those are internal. If a gang decided to obey social distancing, then they likely would. But how likely do you think that is? Be honest. I think it's only happening if they gain a healthy fear of the disease for whatever reason because they don't tend to respect outside authority.

Now, I also understand that not even most African Americans in poor neighborhoods are active gang bangers, but they are a lot of the young adults in those neighborhoods because that's how kids survive. So the kids, who don't tend to get nearly as sick, are in the gangs (or friends with kids who are) and the if the gangs aren't bothering to social distance, then they will spread it back into the homes, to their families who then spread it around from there.

And yeah, being poor comes with health issues for everyone, black, white, brown, don't matter. High rates of obesity, heart disease, diabetes. My brother-in-law's family are poster children for this, and they aren't African-American. They're the opposite end of the spectrum from what you would find in the urban core. They have diabetes, there are at least two heavy drug users, and a variety of weight problems. Lord only knows what all else. If they were African-American and lived in an urban core, I'd have two nephews who'd likely be banging, one for sure, and a third well on his way thanks to his brothers.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join