It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African Americans dying of COVID-19 at disproportionate rate

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 04:52 PM
link   
So yep can't make this stuff up.
This is the reality and tragedy of the African American community the majority of fatalities in some areas seem to be with them.
My prayers go out to the African American community.
My prayers go out to all people.
In the end I see there may be many reasons why this may be so and see that something needs to change in the future times to come.
Anyways this is now what is happening in America and its sad, it needs a fix.
God is watching us

In Chicago, African Americans comprise 30% of the population but account for a staggering 72% of deaths.

New data from certain states points to a racial disparity in the death toll amid the coronavirus pandemic in the United States.

www.washingtonpost.com... true

The coronavirus is infecting and killing black Americans at an alarmingly high rate
As the novel coronavirus sweeps across the United States, it appears to be infecting and killing black Americans at a disproportionately high rate, according to a Washington Post analysis of early data from jurisdictions across the country.

The emerging stark racial disparity led the surgeon general Tuesday to acknowledge in personal terms the increased risk for African Americans amid growing demands that public-health officials release more data on the race of those who are sick, hospitalized and dying of a contagion that has killed more than 12,000 people in the United States.

A Post analysis of available data and census demographics shows that counties that are majority-black have three times the rate of infections and almost six times the rate of deaths as counties where white residents are in the majority.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Are you suggesting the virus is racial? and can distinguish and be biased

toward certain peoples?

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

toward certain peoples?

NO
I am showing what is being reported in the news in the USA.

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Coronavirus is especially dangerous for those who live in densely packed urban areas, and it's due more to lifestyle than it is to race. Add in that many African-Americans, poorer Americans in general, tend to have comorbidities like being overweight which leads to diabetes and heart disease which are also higher risk factors for this disease.

Then think about the attitude toward an orderly and law abiding lifestyle that many in gang banging set will have and ask yourself how likely they will be to abide by social distancing restrictions.

Throw them in with the rest of the African-Americans in the an urban core setting.

Yeah, it's going to cause problems.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Except that most of the deaths from Covid so far in the US have been white people

So how are they dying of covid "disproportionately"?

I see some seriously cherrypicked information that preys on people who they know wont actually look at he numbers and how they dont add up.

In conclusion, its bullsnip

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Southern Poverty Law Center should condemn Covid since it's clearly a hate group/virus.

Maybe Al Sharpton can meet with Covid to teach it about equality.

Trump did this, he's emboldened violent racist viral infections.

China should pay reparations.

We need reverse affirmative action, start infecting and killing white people.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

Southern Poverty Law Center should condemn Covid since it's clearly a hate group/virus.

Maybe Al Sharpton can meet with Covid to teach it about equality.

Trump did this, he's emboldened violent racist viral infections.

China should pay reparations.

We need reverse affirmative action, start infecting and killing white people.

It may be sarcasm or just a joke to you however for some its not funny to suggest killing people when people are dying.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

Why does it matter if they are black or white?

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Why does it matter if they are black or white?

Because that was the subject of the thread, ask the OP
edit on 8-4-2020 by SailorJerry because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp
Yo bro, it's what it is yo blood, don't hate.. procreate! meow? you dig?

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:26 PM
link   
If I were a member of the African American community and I came across statistics showing that the outcomes for my community were disparate from others, I would be angry and in that anger I might express myself in a subjective manner and from the perspective of my community.

However since I am not a member of that community I simultaneously opt to respect their views while tabling the idea that there are other factors in play. Poverty and densely populated environments specifically. Both of these things tend to impact many things in a negative way.

In other words if somebody writes "Hey y'all, black folks are dying over here" then maybe the knee jerk response aught not to be "Why you gotta make this about race?" in a mocking tone and more along the lines of "OK. Let's figure out what's going on and then do what we can to help."

We're in a crisis, we can always pick the pettiness back up one that's dealt with.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:26 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:27 PM
link   
There's this report out of Detroit from this evening...

Detroit News

Despite the reduced manpower, officers have been working to enforce the governor's social distancing order, which Detroiters are repeatedly violating, Craig said.

Since April 4, Detroit police have gone to 1,976 "special attention" runs about reported violations, issued 545 warnings, broke up nine parties, including five barbecues, and issued 129 citations in 92 locations where five or more people congregated.

On Tuesday, police issued 74 warnings and 35 citations in 11 locations.

Not to say they're all black, but it is the predominate race of the city.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Exactly. OP was pointing out that although the black population makes up less of the over all population they seem to be hit hard during all of this.

You saying this is a sort of anti-white hit piece, or suggesting it is, is rather short sighted.

To be honest, it doesn't matter what the color of someones skin is, Americans are dying, why did you need to make this a division between black and white people? Can we not all discuss demographics without bringing subtle racism into play here?

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   

toward certain peoples?

No, but that due to A) chronic health issues among those in the African American community, many of which are poor, and B) lack of or access to healthcare in poorer communities, see point A, they are at greater risk.

The majority of 300+ deaths in GA are in the African American community, as well as Louisiana, if I'm not mistaken.

To suggest the virus is racial and can distinguish between race is just attempted racial baiting on your part.

edit on 8-4-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

So its not the virus which is discrimanatory .........Its just certain people

who dont or chose not listen?

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:38 PM
link   

It originally killed just people of Asian descent.

In France, it killed a disproportionate amount of French speaking people.

In Italy, it killed mostly Italians.

Only in America do we separate by race. SMH

You never hear of it killing African-Italians, or African-Parisians.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Despite the warped reasoning of some posters here, even bringing gangbanging into it (like that’s a representation of the black community at large) people in the African American community are dying at a higher rate.

And that’s because of healthcare. People who traditionally don’t have a lot of healthcare options are going to be more prone to getting sick.

It’s almost like we should make healthcare available to everyone. And not just what you can pay for.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:41 PM
link   

a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

So its not the virus which is discrimanatory .........Its just certain people

who dont or chose not listen?

That's basically it. If you don't trust the popo and consider every direction an affront, you'll probably get hit in a disproportionate way.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

If I were a member of the African American community and I came across statistics showing that the outcomes for my community were disparate from others, I would be angry and in that anger I might express myself in a subjective manner and from the perspective of my community.

However since I am not a member of that community I simultaneously opt to respect their views while tabling the idea that there are other factors in play. Poverty and densely populated environments specifically. Both of these things tend to impact many things in a negative way.

In other words if somebody writes "Hey y'all, black folks are dying over here" then maybe the knee jerk response aught not to be "Why you gotta make this about race?" in a mocking tone and more along the lines of "OK. Let's figure out what's going on and then do what we can to help."

We're in a crisis, we can always pick the pettiness back up one that's dealt with.

Well I think this virus does give us an opportunity to reflect on our nation and hopefully grow.
Yes we are in a crisis together and we as a nation need to figure out how to help each other and survive this crisis.
I think poverty, lifestyle, and diet may have something to do with it but we still don't know everything about the virus.
Today Fauci was talking about hypertension and diabetes affecting African American communities and that perhaps being one of the underlying reasons.

President Trump Explains That The Pandemic is Dis-proportionally Fatal In Black Communities
Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top expert on infectious diseases, said the prevalence of hypertension and diabetes makes the African American community more vulnerable at a daily briefing on Tuesday.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join