It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

salvaging a boiled egg with cracked shell - pro tip = aluminum foil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 01:41 PM
link   
it happens to the best of us - while tring to make hard-boil eggs - the shell cracks - spewing out tendrills white

solution - fish it out quick - and wrap in alu foil - and return to the water

the foil efficiently transfers heat to the egg - and more important - does not loose any bits - when the eggs are quenched in water - to cool them aftertawds

tongights supper = egg mayo sarnies

and it was saved by tnfoil - thats todays pro tip

cooked with no further loss - and quenched with on losses and no discoluration // bad taste

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 01:58 PM
link   
It seals itself almost immediately if your water is hot enough. Adding a little vinegar can help keep the minimal amount of white from splitting off into bits. Salt too would work.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Actually, if you have one of those cheap rice cookers that just has an on and off switch (with a pressure sensor on the bottom that switches it to warm when it's done) and a vegetable steamer tray that goes on top between the rice pot and the lid, you can make a lot of "boiled" eggs easy with one of these.

What it actually does is steams eggs. You just put water in the bottom pot and put the steamer tray on and then put the eggs in that and let them steam for about 12 minutes after you start to hear the water boiling.

At that point, they're pretty much done and then you treat them just like you would boiled eggs. Sometimes one or two of them will crack while cooking but it usually doesn't make a big mess like it would if they were actually immersed. You can still pretty much peel them as normal. Super simple way to do this. I don't even wash the rice cooker between batches because that's really all I use it for. Sometimes I make brussels sprouts in it.
edit on 8-4-2020 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
I don't even wash the rice cooker between batches because that's really all I use it for. Sometimes I make brussel's sprouts in it.

LOL.

Who is Brussel and does he get pissed that you make his sprouts in a dirty steamer tray?

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

I don't even wash the rice cooker between batches because that's really all I use it for. Sometimes I make brussel's sprouts in it.

LOL.

Who is Brussel and does he get pissed that you make his sprouts in a dirty steamer tray?

Yeah, OK. I spelt it wong. Whatever. But I still make great "boiled" the easy way. And the steamer try isn't dirty. As you may or may not know, steam sanitizes so it doesn't really matter as long as there isn't food stuck to it.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

When my bits are loose, I blame it on not wearing undies..
good tip for the egg, though!

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

LOL.

Yeah, OK. I spelt it wong. Whatever. But I still make great "boiled" the easy way. And the steamer try isn't dirty. As you may or may not know, steam sanitizes so it doesn't really matter as long as there isn't food stuck to it.

I was just giving you the business. We use out steamer for eggs as well. There's really no odor or mess and they are always cooked properly.

I've actually never had a cracked egg in the steamer.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Cool idea!

Now if someone could find a way to boil eggs and have them easy to peel!!!
In water, as we don't have a need or the space for a steamer.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

The way I do it:

After boiling, sitting in hot water, drain and rinse with cold water multiple times. Crack and roll one good turn to break the shell, then return to cold water and let sit for and hour or so, then peel. Or, crack and roll and refrigerate overnight, then peel.

Shell usually peels right off.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence
That sounds like a pla n!
Thanks.

I never thought about that.
And never saw it mentioned anywhere.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 09:42 PM
link   

No offense, but I'm never going put aluminum foil into salt water and boil an acidic food in it.

Ever heard of aluminum leeching?

~sigh~

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Cool idea!

Pressure cooker = easy to peel. Perfect, every time. We have an "Instant Pot" - its amazing for hard "boiled" eggs.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

No offense, but I'm never going put aluminum foil into salt water and boil an acidic food in it.

Ever heard of aluminum leeching?

~sigh~

People have been cooking with aluminum foil for a century.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

neither am i - i dont boil eggs in brine - why would i ???

further - eggs are not acidic

so - no offence - but what was your point ???

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

easy peel hardboil egg ??

easy

tapp it on a hard surface - and roll back and forth twice - applying light pressure

the entire shell will fragment - and just peel off

dont whack too hard - or the bits will be too small

but as long as you get under the mebrane below the shell - it all comes off - in one move

simples

practice makes it better - you get a " feel " for how hard to strike and how much pressure to roll

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Let them temp up to room temperature before cooking them. You should always do that for any method you're having them. It will prevent sticking in fried, scrambles, and omelettes as well.

Put your room temperature eggs into water that has reached a rolling boil and leave for ~6 minutes. Rinse immediately with cold water. Crack and peel.

PS: For scrambles and that, don't add salt til they're nearly done. This will prevent that unappetizing grey cast you see sometimes. Also- it should not take more than ~30 seconds or so to cook a couple eggs scrambled. Get that pan hot people!

Source: I'm a professional cook.

a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

top topics

join