It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Premier League needs cancelling now

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I am a Liverpool fan weve waited what is it 30 years to win a league title
HOWEVER........... lives come first
i would just scrap the current season.

What do you think about soccer in general about what they should do
I dont think closed door matches are the slightest bit interesting
and if you just give the title based on current positions, what about the relegations
i mean number 17th -- watford are literally ahead of goal difference of number 18th!
Does that mean its fair to asssume they would have stayed there?

Its a really awkward situation

Would love to know your opinions
because health is a LOT more important than any sport

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: PandaPrincess

Why not let the adult soccer players decide if they want to play and how?

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

the snide answer is - there are no adults in the UK premier league team rosters - just packs of babies

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Everybody else likes to tell everybody else what to do
Soccer players, fall down in a light breeze and demand a penalty because the other fella ran past
Won’t last a season against a nasty virus

Let’s be honest, might be primadonnas but not likely to die of a virus

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 10:33 AM
link   
The seasons screwed now and probably the next season as well until CV is sorted enough to make travel possible.

Don't know how to sort out the mess its left behind as 'pool being so far ahead and coasting at that point now might have a few key players/staff out of action and not match fit and suddenly they go from top to 7th just due to a lousy bug.

Probably easiest just to end the season as is and hand out the silverware and just chalk it down to one of those things like when wars happen etc.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   

A lot of people aren't happy and have realised that football comes second or third or further down the pecking order, many have said they won't be renewing their season tickets and won't be subscribing to skysports, also very unhappy with the players not taking a cut in their wages whilst in lockdown... they can't play so therefore should take a cut in wages and also complaining that they earn too much anyway... it will never be what it was.... fans won't go because of possibly catching the virus and travelling around will be restricted at least until a vaccine arrives.

So, I think the season is over and next season may not even begin on time and if it does, games will be behind closed doors for a while... will lose out on cash and players will have to take huge wage cuts for teams to survive, if they don't, they will be shipped out... ]

Go and check the sports columns and comments in the daily mail... premier league!
edit on 8-4-2020 by CrazeeWorld777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   

As a City fan I would say Liverpool deserve the league based on what they have achieved this season, at least our record points total is safe.......for now

As for the players with the actions of Kyle Walker, Jack Grealish and James McClean I think they have shown they are lucky they can kick a ball reasonably well as there is not much in the upstairs department.

And for a host of top flight clubs to have the gall to expect the government to pay for staff wages, thats another joke. These clubs have been earning vast sums of money for 20+ years now with the advent of the premier league, heaven forbid we remember Bury have gone out of existince only last year.

Condolences to Pep as he lost his mother during this outbreak, as you say life is more important.

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I am a Liverpool fan weve waited what is it 30 years to win a league title HOWEVER........... lives come firs

We can now throw the famous Bill Shankly quote into the bin.

Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.

www.brainyquote.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 03:49 PM
link   
How did this league not get shut down? Everything else, sports wise, is all gone. Odd that this is the first I'm hearing of this also. I saw a piece on VICE News Tonight about how the only sports available were the Belarussian league who were bucking the odds. How did they miss the freaking Premier League?

I still watch ESPN and read the ticker and have seen no results of these games. They are always there but not these days so why are they not reporting on it? Heck, you would think they would want in on the action as there is nothing going here at all.

Maybe I'm just being weird but it all seems a little off, doesn't it?

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 05:16 PM
link   

If Coronavirus comes near a soccer player, does the player immediately grab their own chest and drop to the ground coughing as if they were on death's door until a yellow card is issued to Coronavirus?

posted on Apr, 8 2020 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown

As a City fan I would say Liverpool deserve the league based on what they have achieved this season, at least our record points total is safe.......for now

Condolences to Pep as he lost his mother during this outbreak, as you say life is more important.

A/ first and foremost condolences to Pep G.

B/ this is the thing - if it is awarded based on reasonable assumption that current positions would be final, how is that fair on say watford who i think are seperated by literally goal difference on relegation/non relegation to assume nothing would have changed in the final ten games

So it is a difficult one
but this gary neville idea of a ten day festival of football where multiple games are played one day after another, is awful!
Same is idea of playing in empty stadiums!

The one thing by the way, selfishly i may add, is that if the season is resumed in a few weeks, albeit behind closed doors - will there STILL be after that a summer break, giving the players yet ANOTHER break?
as if we havent had enough breaks already.. winter.. corona..... then summer

We are being robbed of so much football, no euros, and worst thing id hate is a summer of no football, ontop of all this

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Sporting codes and leagues across the globe are facing financial crunches. Any government that granted exemptions to lockdowns or travel bans to sports competitions, their electorates would revolt against the measures they still face. I can't see any sports in the community or professional levels taking place in New Zealand this year.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 06:58 AM
link   
some of the precious little fish-boilers [ and team owners ] are in hot water again - over wages during the N19COVID measures

some clubs - have laid off all thier staff - expecting the govt to pay them the 80% wage [ this cannot apply to players - due to the contracts they are on ] - and still give players full pay

others - leeds united - well done - the players apparently voted for a " no pay till next match " scheme - on contition the club retains and pays all staff full salary

there has been an " issue " with players wages for years now - this could be the break point

many fans groups - are threatening boycots - and its a significan minority - not just 2 shouty fat blokes

ETA - i is not a football " fan " - i has no time for it - just reporting what mates who are or work at the staff of clubs - tell me when we gave online chats

so - i dunno what every club // player is doing - but some are being dicks - and others - not just leeds team - are being sensible
edit on 9-4-2020 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
Don't know how to sort out the mess its left behind as 'pool being so far ahead and coasting at that point now might have a few key players/staff out of action and not match fit and suddenly they go from top to 7th just due to a lousy bug.

the lowest we can finish is second

they've gotta call it and give us number 19, or play on in a couple months and finish it. if they dont they'll have to cancel next years champs league cos no-one qualified..

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Hopefully three good things will come out of this

1/ Needless agent fees like for that fatso Raiola who does nothing but stir up hate between clubs, are stopped!

2/ An end to this every month new `wonderkid` aka Sancho who has done zero for club or country in terms of trophies, but is rated at 150million or something ridiculous like that.

3/ Mercenaries the Pogbas or especially Sanchez who get more in one week than many see in a lifetime, see the end of their 500kk per week for doing NOTHING.
Its a case of dont play, or dont perform? dont get paid, simple!

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Emit1

originally posted by: Maxatoria

the lowest we can finish is second

they've gotta call it and give us number 19, or play on in a couple months and finish it. if they dont they'll have to cancel next years champs league cos no-one qualified..

Thats selfish
im a Liverpool fan too and i want the title, but on this is anfield or the echo, the amount of selfishness makes me sick to my stomache.
All liverpool fans ultimately want at all costs is the title

Any other season id agree, but right now we are dealing with lives!

If LFC are awarded the title, then the three teams in bottom place right now, would be relegated.... which is an uproar!

But calling the title based on position and assumption it will remain the same, REGARDLESS of the point gap, shoudl be no different to the bottom three

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 07:53 AM
link   

i don't really think it's selfish.. if we played out the league from now we'd win it 999/1000. some bookies payed liverpool out at christmas.

being one of the 3 going down would suck but given the ramifications of just cancelling the season what options are there?

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Everybody else likes to tell everybody else what to do
Soccer players, fall down in a light breeze and demand a penalty because the other fella ran past
Won’t last a season against a nasty virus

Let’s be honest, might be primadonnas but not likely to die of a virus

You must have never watch the Premier League. They don't take a lot of dives. Eden Hazard has had six inch long gashes stitched up after games because of how hard they're spiking his ankles and feet. English footballers are nothing to **** with.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonyMason

I see your footballer and raise you Tim Tebow covered in the blood of his godless Florida State Seminole enemies.

(it was end zone paint from FSU's stadium, but made for a damn cool series of game images.)

Seriously though, it's damn cool to have a couple of those bad ass mofos playing your country's major sports, ya? Google Curt Schilling World Series bloody ankle or JJ Watt busted nose. These guys played through serious injuries, juicing all over the damn place, and ended up legends for it.

posted on Apr, 9 2020 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Liverpool should be named Premier League champions , it's a shame it should end like that but fair's fair.
I'm not a Liverpool fan but I think Jürgen Klopp has done the business this season.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join