It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record-size hole opens in ozone layer above the Arctic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Low temperatures in the northern polar regions led to an unusual stable polar vortex, and the presence of ozone-destroying chemicals such as chlorine and bromine in the atmosphere – from human activities – caused the hole to form.

“The hole is principally a geophysical curiosity,” said Vincent-Henri Peuch, director of the Copernicus Atmosphere Monitoring Service. “We monitored unusual dynamic conditions, which drive the process of chemical depletion of ozone. [Those dynamics] allowed for lower temperatures and a more stable vortex than usual over the Arctic, which then triggered the formation of polar stratospheric clouds and the catalytic destruction of ozone.”

The hole is not related to the Covid-19 shutdowns that have drastically cut air pollution and reduced greenhouse gas emissions. It is also too early to say whether the unusually stable Arctic polar vortex conditions are linked with the climate crisis, or part of normal stratospheric weather variability.

There is no danger to humans at this point. If the hole moves south where there are populated areas it could cause sunburn.

This brings up a few questions. How bad do you think the sunburn would be? Would sunblock help? I thought having no ozone layer could kill people.

The hole should be gone in a few weeks if current trends continue. The story also says this hole has nothing to do with the current shutdowns.

China is still producing ozone-depleting chemicals. They were caught in 2018 when gasses were detected over eastern China. Of course, it is known without a doubt that "new sources of ozone-depleting chemicals were not a factor in the hole observed in the Arctic".

edit on 7-4-2020 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 06:10 PM
link   
All this decades after this problem was solved by the elimination of ozone depleting chemicals world-wide. Okay, so maybe it was just that the producer of COMPETITION, inferior chemicals lead a slander save-the-Earth campaign to kill competition. You all bought into it just like you're all buying into the CO2 lie.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 06:11 PM
link   
The funny thing is a few days ago I read that the O Zone layer had shrunk to it's smallest size in years
it was on sum science site that showed up on my phone but i can't remember the name

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Sandro420

I saw it, too.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Don't care we're all dead in 10 years. Right??

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Down in nz there has been a ozone hole around theses parts that grow and a strink all the time. We do have uv alerts on news most summer days saying don't go out in the sun with bare skin for more than 10mins.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Right on brother no matter what we are all dead

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 09:18 PM
link   
That's it? A record-size hole? Are we talking a 45rpm or a full length LP? Either way, I don't see what the problem is...

/dadjokes

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

I don't see what the problem is

Sunburn.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

There is no danger to humans at this point. If the hole moves south where there are populated areas it could cause sunburn.[/qoute]

OR looking positively extra Ultra-Violet to kill airborne and exterior surface dwelling virus. Sterilize the earth whilst we are all indoors.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Chill out, records are only 12" wide.

posted on Apr, 7 2020 @ 11:37 PM
link   

We got to push legislation to rid the world of the current freon...
Move on to the newer , more expensive one chemical companies have developed.

posted on Apr, 28 2020 @ 09:08 AM
link   
It has closed and we are safe again.

The largest-ever Arctic ozone hole developed this spring. Now, scientists say it's closed.

An ozone hole that formed over the Arctic this spring and eventually grew into the largest ever recorded there has closed.

Scientists who were tracking the hole at Copernicus' Atmospheric Monitoring Service (CAMS) made the announcement late last week, noting the "rather unusual" hole was caused not by human activity but a particularly strong Arctic polar vortex, CAMS said.

top topics

join