It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those who are Anti-Rap

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Not to be disrespectful to the rap genre or anything, but I just cannot get into rap, hip-hop, whatever.... I found myself sometimes wishing that rock would come back to the top.

Not just nu metal or death metal, but I'm talking rock the way it used to be. Bands like Def Leppard, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, The Who, etc are getting way old, and once they're done touring and recording all we have left is past albums.

I hope I don't offend any rap fans, but I'm just stating my point of view. Am I the only one that feels this way? I don't know what it is, but being 19 and strongly opposing a lot of the new stuff thats comin out seems sometimes odd to me

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I'm not against rap per say, but the whole "I got a Escalade wit spinners, look at the ice I got, I'm a pimp thug, I'm hard... mess with me and I'll put a bullet in ya!" is getting REALLY old!!!! Then again I think music in general is really weak these days.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by malmsteen
Not to be disrespectful to the rap genre or anything, but I just cannot get into rap, hip-hop, whatever.... I found myself sometimes wishing that rock would come back to the top.

Not just nu metal or death metal, but I'm talking rock the way it used to be. Bands like Def Leppard, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, The Who, etc are getting way old, and once they're done touring and recording all we have left is past albums.

I hope I don't offend any rap fans, but I'm just stating my point of view. Am I the only one that feels this way? I don't know what it is, but being 19 and strongly opposing a lot of the new stuff thats comin out seems sometimes odd to me

i somewhat agree with you.
Being 19 always, i tend to find rap abit boring now, the only rap i listen to is alternative like insane clown posse, twiztid, kottonmouth kings, etc because its not the same "i have a gun on gonna kill you" mainstream rap. Mainstream rap is all the same, its nothing new.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Hiphop is a culture--rap is just the music element of it. Due to commercialization of rap music you have bubble gum rap out there that gives the whole hiphop nation a bad name. To put it in terms that a rock fan may understand--bling rap is to hiphop what hair bands are to rock. Personally, I enjoy some bling rap. Its fun and you can dance to it and rocking the party is a big part of hiphop. I must admit, the airwaves are over saturated with it right now, but this happens in every genre of music once the corporate machine gets a hold of it. I think we are seeing a return to the four rocks that birth the hiphop culture. (Rock the city (art), rock ya body (dance), rock the mic (poetry/storytelling), and rock the turntables (music.) I love hiphop--I am hiphop. Without it I don't know where I would be. I understand that some folk will never "get it"--haha, that just makes it all the more dope.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I read an interesting article a couple months back, I beleive it was by Chuck Klosterman, saying what was wrong with Rock these days. He had an interesting take, saying that Rap and Country music both speak directlly to thier audience, while rock tends to be more "artsy".

I'm not entirerly sure I agree with him, but it is an interesting concept...

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
You make a very good point Susquehanna, and I agree. Every style of music has an art form to it, but rock now is more of a "see how good I look playing three chords".

Though its used to be "see how good I look playing faster than you can".
At least they HAD talent. I dunno, it's all crazy.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I agree very strongly with the thread poster, and I will ditch all Uni to see Iron Maiden if they ever toured here.

Rock is a way of life.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I used to listen to rap, a long time ago. Now it just gets on my nerves. I dont see anything artistic about rap. I think that what drove me away from rap is the way rappers tend to make up or deform words so that they fit into their rhyme scheme. Thats not the only thing but it did have a part in it. Iv always hated the way that anything said in a rap song ("the bomb", "bama", "shake your tail feathers" ect. ect.) instantly becomes the new coolest phrase.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I'm not too big on newer rap, but I'm a huge fan of some of the older hip hop and newer 'underground' stuff.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I don't like rap because it just does not do anything for me. The same holds true for many styes of music. I don't have anything against it; it is just not my thing. To each their own.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Rap or Hip-hop is just like any other genre of music....you have the good and with it comes the crap....Im really into the Roots when it comes to hip-hop...i think they are the ultimate....Great musicians...real instruments...catchy beats...deep lyrical content....

[edit on 2-4-2005 by _Uforia_]

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Is it sad the top fav. rap "song" has the f word over 20 times in it? Is it sad people think cussing to a beat is music? Hell, I can cuss to a beat, watch!

# damn # # bitch whore # damn bastard #. There, number one hit rap song right there.

Sorry, in what other from of music is cussing to a beat considered a song? Or talking about how you are gonna do coke, go to a club, rape a "ho", kill some fags, go home, and do more coke as you beat your "bitch".

At least when Cheech and Chong sang about drugs it was "Up in Smoke, that's where my money goes, In my lungs, sometimes up my nose." Not "Give me the coke bitch or I'll #ing shoot your ho ass!"(actual lyric from a rap song)

For me, give me anything but rap. I hate country to, but if I had to choose between country and rap, go country ya'll, let me git my sis/mom/wife and go make out in the back of my pick up truck while the hounds watch!(kidding, country actually as some great songs, like Here's a Quarter, The Night the Lights Went Out In Georgia, Beer Run, so forth)

But Techno, Rock and Roll, Comedy, Cadences, Death Metal, whatever usually is good. But rap? Will Smith is about as non-crap as it gets, but that is more hip hop then rap. If a rap is to be played on a radio they have to edit it alot. But American Pie? Yellow Submarine? Comfortably Numb? Killer Queen? Alien Sex? Nope, no editing. No "Gonna go _____ your sista then beat yo _____ mama while ____ _________ ___.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
If you lived in Toronto, Canada you can just come here:
www.inertia-entertainment.com...

For those that don't there's always ticketmaster searches. Also to the thread poster there are mp3 players as well as cd players.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Do any of you above posters have afavorite rap song?

I have to go with Just a Friend by Biz Markie

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Hmmm, maybe Eminem song where he says "New Kids on the Block Suck Alot a Dick, Boy/Girl Groups Make Me Sick" But that the only part cause I don't like NKOTB.

Maybe "Fat Boy Slim is #ing in Heaven" by Fat Boy Slim, but he is technically techno, just a stupid thing he did for fun. Those are the only words in it, except at the end where he says "Please don't play this for anyone, I don't usually do this."

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I'm 13 and I feel the exact same way. Rap is just noise and it bothers me. Most rap lyrics I think are horrible. Rap deserves a :down: from me.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Iron Maiden and White Snake suck ass, so does rap music. Bands that are worth a # are:

Meshuggah
Strapping Young Lad
Cynic
At The Gates
Mnemic

:shk:

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Plenty of good new rock acts out there if you look for them, atleast in the UK...

No disrespect to your musical tastes malmsteen, but Van Halen and similar bands were never my scene. That sort of rock is long gone - the only rock music being made today that's worth listening to is influenced more by punk, and by bands like The Who. The rest is overproduced "NuMetal", rap metal and pop-punk, and the one hit wonders who perform them are two a penny.

If I may recommend a few British acts you might like...

The Libertines
Babyshambles
Kaiser Chiefs
Bloc Party
The Futureheads
Razorlight
Idlewild (their older stuff is real rock music, I strongly recommend the albums "100 Broken Windows" and "The Remote Part")
And of course, Oasis...

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   

For me, give me anything but rap

wow!!! It must be sad to go through life with such a close minded attitude, but i guess to each his own.....Yes most of the Rap music played on the radio is awful...yes the lyrics are awful aswell....but lets put things into perspective here....most of All of the music on the radio is terrible and has awful lyrical content.....Rap is just like anything else....the Sh*t rap is stuffed down our throats and the quality rap is few and far between....but to say that "Rap" as a whole is just "cussing to a beat" is ignorant to say the least.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I like a ton of rap!

WHO? Mike Jones Album dropping Soon WHO? Mike Jones

lol i just like it when he says that in his albums and he says it like 500000 times

kottonmouth kings is fun to listen to but not when you can't smoke!

not into enimnem it was okay when he came out first 2 cds but bleh

I guess I like that old gangsta rap, snoop, dre, bone thugs

mos def is cool Ghetto rock!

old busta rhymes!

OLD DIRTY BASTARD! WU TANG!

new topics

top topics

join