It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anybody on ATS actually believe in Purgatory ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Catholic doctrine on purgatory is presented as composed of the same two points in the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, first published in 2005, which is a summary in dialogue form of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. It deals with purgatory in the following exchange:

210. What is purgatory? Purgatory is the state of those who die in God's friendship, assured of their eternal salvation, but who still have need of purification to enter into the happiness of heaven.

211. How can we help the souls being purified in purgatory?Because of the communion of saints, the faithful who are still pilgrims on earth are able to help the souls in purgatory by offering prayers in suffrage for them, especially the Eucharistic sacrifice. They also help them by almsgiving, indulgences, and works of penance.These two questions and answers summarize information in sections 1030–1032[37] and 1054[38] of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, published in 1992, which also speaks of purgatory in sections 1472−1473.

Having studied the bible extensively I find no basis for this belief, what I have heard from stories from my catholic ancestors is that is was used to extort money from people, give the priest money and he will pray for their relatives souls in Purgatory, 20 year after they died they still needed money because the souls were still there. It's a huge scam to scare and extort money from gullible people who couldn't or wouldn't understand the bible never taught that.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

nah... same as hell... neither exist...

They're just scare tactics to extort and cause fear in the masses...

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Catholics aren’t real Christians. They are whores for money.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 01:55 AM
link   
A few years back, there were some vey active Catholics posting on ATS. I don't think I've seen them recently.

In my Index of ATS threads, there is a series on 1 Corinthians where I explain, in passing, why ch3 v15 is not about Purgatory.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I'm personally not a fan at all of catholocism, or most modern Christianity but am a steadfast believer in God and Christ. From my own personal perception and experience purgatory is a very real thing and somewhere I hope to never again even visit.

When I was baptized a couple years ago I'd kinda pretty much fallen really far from where my beliefs used to be. I went into the day which was weird in and of itself I'd expected nothing more than to walk out into the water, have my Reverend friend say some prayers, dunk me in the water, get wet, get back to drinking. What wound up happening profoundly changed my perspective on absolutely everything.

I can't say I remember a whole lot of the proceeding before, or most of the couple hours after, but I know when I was "dunked" everything went dark, and it felt like it did for nothing short of an eternity. There was no bright light, there was no smiling Jesus welcoming me into rebirth, there was nothing, at all. No love, no light, no heat, nothing, at all, except for my own consciousness and the awareness that my entire existence at that time was the knowledge of my being, and that was it. I've never been one to be frightened of anything, and it absolutely terrified me.

When I came back out of the water it was as if everything was brand new and so much more appreciated than I'd ever looked at anything before. I could smell the salt air, hear the birds, feel the warm Caribbean breeze, and the voice of the woman that loved me at that time. It took a while for my eyes to actually adjust to my surroundings and it was as though all of my senses were incredibly heightened. We were told several things that day and the next that we didn't immediately adhere to and I paid a great price for not listening. 420 days ago I made some sweeping changes in my life and won't look back though. When I depart this plane I don't want it to even be considered that I should be sent back to that place I feel as though was purgatory, and I'll spend the rest of my days ensuring I don't have to.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Bypass the middleman, pray for their souls directly To God.

No organized earthly religion has a monopoly on God’s Love.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Until we create a synthetic hell. There was an episode in Star Trek where, I believe it was the doctor, was put into a sort of coma where in reality a very short period of time passed but in his experience it was decades of hell.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Sort of like Co Vid 19

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Gypsy card readers employ the same tactic...tell you you have a spell which only they can remove...The Church is BS as are the gypsys..a reply to: Blue_Jay33

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 03:46 AM
link   

The Catholic church is a meddler in people's affairs who aren't even Catholic .
For example instance we know someone who got divorced twenty years ago and last year got a letter from their ex s new diocese saying they now wanted a Catholic marriage , so their circumstances of their split were now going to be investigated by the foreign diocese in which our associate lives.

In the letter , lurid and false detail of the split was brought up , leading to fears of neighbours being approached, muck spread about and general reputational being done.

What a hateful institution , with stupid rules , run by untouchable you know what s . It's a good thing most of its former adherents have left in disgust.

Purgatory , no . They've invented whatever it suited them to invent over the years

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 03:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

Sort of like Co Vid 19

Nuu… that sh!t is real...

Its just not as bad as the media will have you believe....

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 03:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: IredBafi

Until we create a synthetic hell. There was an episode in Star Trek where, I believe it was the doctor, was put into a sort of coma where in reality a very short period of time passed but in his experience it was decades of hell.

You want to know what hell really is in this life?

Go to a long term care facility...

Heavens waiting room... that my friend is HELL in this reality

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: DoctorBluechip
The Catholic church is a meddler in people's affairs who aren't even Catholic.

And filled with pedos.

On topic: Yes, there is a thing/place that exists which could be considered Purgatory. It is a place/time where your soul will lay exposed. Everything you've done/thought will be on display. Some consider this a period that will be more harsh than God's Judgement, because you will know what every soul that exists thinks of you, just as they will know what you think of them.

Don't forget the pedos.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 04:16 AM
link   

purgatory = an endless series of ATS flat earth , moon hoaxanti evolution , and 9/11 threads ?

am i right ??
edit on 5-4-2020 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Well, there you go. Crikey! At the risk of being shot to pieces I'll put my hand up. Purgatory or Limbo is a part of my belief. I've been a catholic all my life. Don't go to church on Sundays but the belief is a part of me due to a 60's catholic upbringing.

I saying that I'm sure I haven't met a catholic priest for maybe 35 years let alone stepped inside a church. I still remember the prayers and the rosary but I don't do such.

If I went to a confessional I'm sure I'd spend hours reciting the "Our Father' and 'Hail Mary' for at least a year non flamin stop for my sins.

My wife and children (7) aren't catholic. Not even christian but they are all good. My grandchildren aren't catholic or christian either.

Now you might say then, 'How can you be catholic?' I just am. I've broken catholic doctrine but I still adhere to the 10 commandments. So I have accepted that I need a purge in Purgatory.

Just being a reasonable person is enough for me. No bible as a shield just a fractured belief. I am sure there is not a day goes by that I give thanks or curse in vain. But that little belief holds me to the scripture and makes me toe the line. Navy service and an LEO for years did the same. I have survived being a catholic mixing the doctrine with some initiative. I am no professor or theologian type but the exception I believe is that religion I subscribe to is flexible.

So there you go. Being a believing catholic isn't all bad. Bring Purgatory on, I deserve it.

Kind regards,

Bally

edit on 5-4-2020 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 04:30 AM
link   

You want to know what hell really is in this life?

Go to a long term care facility...

Heavens waiting room... that my friend is HELL in this reality

Aye. I know it. It's sort of a sick joke when those places have names like 'Eden Home'.

Just reminds me of a couple scenes from IASIP, though Youtube algorithms these days make it so hard to find what you're actually looking for.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Let’s qualify that
The Roman Catholic Church as an organisation as opposed to its membership

I have met many sincere Catholics

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Wasn’t the Ten Commandments handed to Moses for the Hebrew covenant
Following the Ten Commandments would make you Jewish not christian

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
a reply to: bally001

Wasn’t the Ten Commandments handed to Moses for the Hebrew covenant
Following the Ten Commandments would make you Jewish not christian

Christianity is like a version of Judaism made for the goyim. With less hellfire and blood of first born sons and more love thy neighbor and turn the other cheek.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Interesting observation. I am a catholic and in my education, (many years) - as such, I was taught to adhere to the 10 commandments. But I am not Jewish.

I relate to my religious upbringing but don't enforce my beliefs upon anyone. Hence 'RC' on any application I made years ago. I was only making a comment on this topic.

Kind regards,

bally

<<   2 >>

join